GO!

Vomiting...HELP

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Sasafrace- *Rest in- Peace*

Forever and- Always in my- heart

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 2:35am PST 
My friend is fostering a cat who has been returned to the rescue 4 times due to her vomiting. She is a DSH buff spayed female between 4 and 6 years old. The cat, Tina, is very sweet but she randomly vomits her food. Patina does not eat fast, it usually takes her about 4 hours to eat her breakfast and all night to finish her dinner. They have had her on multiple foods, all with different proteins and formulas. She is slightly overweight but nothing compared to most cats (including mine), the vet said if Tina lost about 1.5 lbs she would be a perfect weight.

The rescue has had a CBC done on her and had abdominal x-rays done....everything came back normal and there was nothing wrong in the x-rays. The vet said that he thinks it might be Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), he said the only way to confirm is to do an biopsy of the intestines, obtaining biopsies involves anesthesia and either surgery or endoscopy. The rescue does not have the money to do this right now and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on other things the rescue should test for...The vet put her on an anti-inflammatory as that is one of the meds he would use if she was confirmed to have IBD.

The rescue is no-kill so there is no risk of anything happening to Tina, she will just stay in her foster home until she gets adopted. I just really love this cat and want her to have a home of her own, as her foster always has cats going in and out of her home and Tina is confined to a single room so she cannot catch anything from new rescues. The foster keeps pairing her up with new cats after they have been in rescue for awhile (so they know they are healthy) so right now Tina has the company of a 5 week old blind kitten. But when her friends get adopted, she is left behind and I feel so bad for her...I would adopt her but she is scared of dogs and with 6 dogs of my own it would not be fair to her.

Does anyone have any thing that they could ask the vet to test for or meds they could try to get the vomiting to be less frequent? Also, does anyone have tips on dealing with this issue that could be given to the foster and/or potential adopters??

Thanks
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 5:45am PST 
Don't know what to say.....can't help...except that my kitties vomit often after they have eaten...'straight down - straight up' I call it and it does not worry me...or them....

Just wanted to keep this thread going so someone who knows what they are talking about might be able to help....

Much love

Jan and furry family
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 6:49am PST 
Try taking a look at ibdkitties.net. Alex's mom might be able to help you with some ideas.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 9:15am PST 
Thanks BK! This kitty will need constant care as IBD is ever changing and there is no cure. Once stabilized the kitty can lead a very long and happy life but they need to get that vomiting under control as it can lead to anorexia and then fatty liver, which is what happened to my Alex. Try having them ask the vet about Reglan for motility to keep the food going down, instead of back up. And also ask about Pepcid a/c to control the acid. As BK said, take a look at my website and please don't be afraid to contact me, I'm here to help! way to go
[notify]

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 3:34pm PST 
Thanks for the help everybody! I will get this info to Tina's foster mom asap
[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 4:59pm PST 
I agree-Alex's website is a wonder!

I would also suggest, perhaps, that you have them ask about Cernia. My Bella has CKD. she's on pepcid, but when it isn't working and she vomits we use cerenia and it really helps. It has almost no side effects except to make her a wee bit sleepy, but thats it.

My vet said cats vomit for so many reasons. We've struggled with doing better with food, and found for Bella eliminating the dry food helped.

Purring for t his lovely little baby. I would suggest, if it helps, once this is under control, to seek a home via the rescue community...vets offices, Liz Marsh,
cat folks who will understand. She needs a special home.

all the best,
The KG CAts and Mom
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 5:38pm PST 
Please let her know she can contact me via my website anytime okay? Bella is right, that little one needs a home where the parents can give long term care. I hope they can find her a good one. thinking
[notify]

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 6:35pm PST 
Thanks so much, I sent Alex's website to Tina's foster mom who is in the process of changing her food over based on the info on the site and we got her an elevated food bowl. She is such a great kitty that once this is under control Im sure we will be able to find her a home, hopefully with a vet or a vet tech...Ive already mentioned her to some people who I know that work at different vets in the area.

I will let her foster know to contact Alex's mom for any help. Thanks so much, you guys are the best!!
[notify]