|Purred: Mon Aug 6, '12 9:49am PST |
|Scooter was blocked two weeks ago and had to be catheterized to unblock him. He spent the night at the vet, got a 2-week antibiotic shot (urine came back positive for infection), as well as fluids.
Today he was running to and from the litterbox, meowing, and licking himself, so I took him back to the vet. He was not blocked (the vet squeezed out a big puddle and said it came out very easily), but probably has inflammation. He got a cortisone shot and the urine is being tested to see if his crystals are coming back.
He's already on a special diet (dry UR St/Ox), but allowed wet food. I'm adding extra water to his wet food and I've been giving him water by syringe twice daily because he doesn't drink (I got a fountain, but he just plays in it). I ordered Feliway in case this is from stress (he is high-strung and I have other cats that are more dominant).
I'm just looking for others who've dealt with this. Is this pretty much going to keep happening over and over? He's only 2 years old. Are you doing anything for your cats that I haven't thought of?
Also, how do you keep from freaking out when you think they're blocked? Today I practically had a panic attack trying to decide if he needed to be taken in (because he WAS still peeing, so he wasn't obviously blocked like last time). It seems like if you take them to the vet as soon as any symptoms start, you're dropping $100 just to have them squeezed, but if you wait you might be dropping $800 because they're blocked. Can't win!
|my posts | my page | msg me | gift me | become friends|| [notify]|