GO!

Metacam and cats?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Luna

Queen of the- house

Purred: Fri Aug 3, '12 5:22pm PST 
Luna has been having pain in her teeth and during the mean time until her dental cleaning is set up, the vet gave her metacam

1.5mg and I give her 0.3 ml every 24 hours for only 4 days, is this bad for her? I have been reading all this stuff about metacam and cats about renal failure.
[notify]

Lillian

I get cuddles- 'on tap'......

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 5:03am PST 
Dear Luna and Luna's Meouwmy....Jan here, on behalf of Auntie Miss Lillie.....

A few weeks ago I put a thread here, asking the same question that you are: 'Metacam and Cats?'......I got a lot of replies, containing much sound advise, mostly saying that, yes, Metacam is bad for cats' kidneys....I also talked to my vet and she also said: 'yes, Metacam can be bad for cats' kidneys......

BUT to my mind it depends on the level of pain that needs to be got rid of....

My cat, Auntie Miss Lillie, has really bad arthritis...but I waited and waited and prevaricated and prevaricated and didn't want to put her on Metacam.....but, in the end, I had to....she was in much pain and it seemed to me and to the vet that quality of life was more important than quantity......

I had a blood test done on her for her kidney function....her kidneys were good....so I started her on the Metacam....it is helping her and she is doing well....I shall have another test done on her kidneys in a few months...but really...what else could I do? To my mind quality is far more important than quantity....and I would say the same also for myself and for all those I love, human or feline.....

But, after all the above (sorry...!!) you only want to use it for a few days...!! From what I know, have learned and understand, a few days on Metacam will be perfectly ok....

Many kitty-kisses to you and to Luna....

Jan (and the Auntie Miss Lillie)
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 7:12am PST 
Mommy only used Buprenex with me and won't use Metacam.
[notify]

Luna

Queen of the- house

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 12:47pm PST 
Just talked to my vet and they said , it wouldn't be good to be on it more than a few days. A few days to be on it will be fine.

She is taking it for pain in her teeth and gums, she was barely eating and I also read that an can help with appetite. So I am guessing that is another reason why they gave it to her. Second day she has been on it and she has been eating more.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 1:12pm PST 
What you've been reading about Metacam and cats has caused you to post your worry - and, it's good that you did, because...yes, there is a great deal of danger in using it with cats.

The first thing I'd like to clarify with you is this: you wrote "1.5mg and I give her 0.3 ml..." That first number, "1.5"....is that on the box or the label? The reason I'm asking is because it sounds like the STRENGTH of the drug...the concentration in this particular package. IF it is the strength, this is how it should read: "1.5 mg/ml" Is that the complete notation that you were reading?

Now, the reason I'm asking is this: There are two standard strengths available for Metacam Oral Suspension: 1.5mg/ml and .5mg/ml The first, three times stronger than the second, is for use in dogs; the second, 1/3 the strength of the first, is for cats. Sorry if I'm 'dumbing down' the math part here...but that's the critical part. Many of the cats who have been harmed by this drug have been given the 'dog version'....so you can now understand how an extreme overdose can occur.

Now, as to the dosage you're administering....that is to be calculated based on Luna's weight. If you want to post her weight, we can try to calculate whether/not the dosage is extreme.

However, the plain facts are that this type of drug cannot be processed by a cat's liver - as drugs commonly are - and cats are almost unique in not having that ability. A cat's liver did not evolve with the required liver enzyme to process (metabolize) these drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories).

This drug itself is "nephrotoxic" in cats, the scientific/medical term for kills kidney cells. Because the liver can't deal with it, it goes directly to the kidneys, and that's where it does the damage.

Based on everything I have read, I am convinced that, with Metacam, it's never a question of a 'safe dose' - rather, the question is 'how much kidney are you willing to destroy?'

Many people will say that their Vet assured them that bloodwork will be monitored prior and during the course of Metacam. That is an absolutely false assurance. Bloodwork will only reveal kidney function at the moment in time when the blood was drawn. It will NOT reveal how much kidney tissue had died/been destroyed nor how much living kidney tissue remains, i.e. functioning and 'in reserve'. A good primer on how kidneys work can be found here http://www.felinecrf.org/what_happens_in_ckd.htm Scroll down about 1/4 to "Why CKD Cannot Normally Be Detected at an Early Stage"

The plain fact is that "bloodwork" will only reveal a problem WHEN 2/3 of all kidney cells are not functioning...translation: regular bloodwork will ONLY reveal that the cat IS NOT in kidney failure - OR - the cat IS in kidney failure.

Many people are familiar with this site http://www.metacamkills.com For a more thorough understanding, there's an AAFP-endorsed site here http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments_antibiotics_painkillers.htm#melo xicam

Whew!

Well, if you would like to judge whether/not Luna has been prescribed an extreme dosage, you'll need to post her weight - obviously, weight accuracy will be critical. (We'll also have to use Canadian or UK veterinary guides for this, as Metacam is NOT licensed for cats in the USA.)
[notify]

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 3:33pm PST 
I just looked at Luna's personal page. Her weight is listed there as 11 pounds.

IF Luna were being given the proper cat strength Metacam (.5mg/ml), her daily dosage would be just .25 ml (.05 Metacam per kg x 5kg)

BECAUSE the actual strength of the product she is using appears to be 1.5mg/ml ("dog product") .....AND that is being daily dosed at .3ml.....Luna appears to be receiving IN EXCESS OF THREE TIMES THE MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED UK AND CDN DOSAGE

IF those numbers are accurate she has most certainly been overdosed with a drug which is known to cause kidney failure

IF those numbers are accurate, she should be seen immediately by a Veterinarian. The usual treatment is several days of hospitalization with IV fluid therapy - practical information on treatment can be found here http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments_antibiotics_painkillers.htm#melo xicam - scroll to "Dealing with Adverse Reactions to Meloxicam" near the page bottom.

UK dosing info http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Boehringer_Ingelheim_Limited/Metacam _0_5_ACY-nbsp_ADs-mg_ml_Oral_Suspension_for_Cats/-40679.html
CDN dosing info
http://www.drugs.com/vet/metacam-oral-suspension-for-cats-can. html
[notify]

Luna

Queen of the- house

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 5:33pm PST 
The label says..

Metacam 1.5mg/ml/cc

It's in individual syringes and filled up to 0.3.

Sounds like they gave her the dog version.....
[notify]

Luna

Queen of the- house

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 5:42pm PST 
Is it possible it's 1.5 total but not each individual dose? She was given 4 does total.

My vet is really good and I would hope they wouldn't be dumb enough to give her dog strength. =(
[notify]

Luna

Queen of the- house

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 6:34pm PST 
Contacted another vet since my other one is closed.

I was told it was safe, what the vet did (oh god I am confused)...concentrate it...something like that...if it was .5mg...she would have to be given more in a dosage but it was made so it is evened out so she gets less dosage.. It was confusing..if she was given like something.... .8,then it would be overdose.

from a site when I was looking that up

"1.5 mg/mL Oral Suspension (equivalent to 0.05 mg per drop)"

Think I made everything more confusing..
[notify]

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 7:08pm PST 
The proper name of the "dog" version is "Metacam 1.5mg/ml"

If that's what the label says, then that's what it is.

That name would bear no relation to the dose (I'm referring to your second last post)

You may have an excellent opinion of your Vet - and, that opinion may be entirely justified......what you are faced with now has nothing to do with that now. All the maybe's can be sorted out later. (Maybe, for instance, it was an honest mistake.)

Your last post...whatever that other Vet told you makes no sense at all.

I can't speak to another site that you saw - I can't reference it. Also, this has NOTHING to do with DROPS - we're talking about a measured dosage, each syringe containing 3/10 - three tenths - of one milliliter of Metacam 1.5mg/ml

According to the dosage regimens in the UK and Canada, that's more than three times the licensed, approved dosage for a 5.2kg/11 pound cat. It's actually the dosage for a 39.6 pound cat.

While I was waiting to see if you'd see my posts, I was reading through the diary page on your profile. I read that this Vet also gave her a "shot" for pain two days before she started this Metacam. Do you know, was that "shot" also Metacam?

If so, then perhaps the Vet is quite dumb, after all. Last year, the FDA put out a "Black Box" warning concerning oral Metacam being given after an injection of same. Every Vet in the country received a letter as a result of that, warning against this repeated oral dosing. Here's that warning: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm231254. htm

All I can say is this: if all of this were to happen to me, I would be at the nearest emergency clinic with the cat and the prescription in hand and have her put on IV drip - and, later my Vet would get the bill for it.

If you're going to do that, are you able to print off the details in these posts?

It's clear to me that it is all very confusing for you - and, I completely understand that.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5