GO!

FelLuk & AIDS Positive...freaking out

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Jack

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 7:38am PST 
The fact that you feel so strongly for your cats speaks volumes about you Sammy's Momma. Not every person in the world would have this much devotion or dedication to their cats. Stay strong! Sammy needs you right now. We cats can sense when your mommas and daddys aren't feeling good. I know I have to give mom snuggles when she's not at her best.
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 9:59am PST 
I have two that are Leukemia positive, tested 7 years ago, the rest are vaccinated and I have had no problems with them getting it. The two that are positive (Beckie and Tess) have had no health problems at all.
Feline Aids is also not a death sentence, it is spread mainly among cats that fight each other such as (but not limited to) non-neutered males. If your cats get along well there is no reason to believe it will spread rampantly. One of my outside ferals had it, the vet estimated him to be AT LEAST 17 years old when he passed from other causes. I have not had the others tested, but none have been sick.
A good diet and catching other minor health problems early is key to their survival I believe. Try not to worry, I know that is hard, just love and enjoy them everyday.
[notify]

Sammy

I'm a wild-man!

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 3:04pm PST 
Thank you Norman's mom...it's good to hear from someone who has a cat with one of these diseases. Sorry to hear they have it but glad they're doing well. I have heard that some cats with Fel Leuk and AIDS can live a relatively long life, but I worry because Sammy has the heart condition plus herpes, which I think might make it harder for him to deal with Fel Leuk and AIDS. Plus, he may be showing symptoms already since he's lost a significant amount of weight. I read with AIDS that once they start showing symptoms they usually only have a year left. Still, it's all speculation. I still don't know if he's truly positive for either, but just hearing my vets blood testing machine showed he was positive for both makes me think it true. My vet did retest on one of those test strips, which was negative, but wouldn't you expect their machine to be the more accurate test??? I know I could drive myself crazy with the worry. That's so easy for me to do. Sigh. I've just got to wait till the end of next week when the vet will have the labs results. Anyway, thank you to everyone for your advice and well-wishes. I'm trying to stay postive and hope for the best. In the meantime, Sammy is getting lots of love!
[notify]

Sammy

I'm a wild-man!

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '12 10:20am PST 
Still haven't heard from the vet about the results of the FelLeuk or AIDS test from the lab. So stressful waiting. But today I may have discovered why Sammy has lost so much weight in the past couple months. A couple months ago we switched from Blue Buffalo dry food to Taste of the Wild (I wanted a grain-free food, plus TOTW is cheaper than Blue). Yes, I slowly mixed the TOTW in with the Blue till I phased the Blue out. But I realized today I don't notice Sammy eating the TOTW. Since he's lost so much weight I've been feeding him Friskies wet food multiple times of day to try to get weight on him but he is now sick of that and not eating enough of the wet. So I decided this morning to offer him the dry Friskies I feed the ferals outside, and he gobbled it down like he was starving! He couldn't get enough! I'm going to go buy some Blue Buffalo today (I don't want him eating that Friskies since it's like giving him McDonalds...sorry if I offended anyone, but it's not the greatest of food). Hopefully he'll go back to the Blue with no problem. It's expensive to feed 8 cats Blue, but I've gotta do what I've gotta do to keep my babies healthy. Poor Sammy. I've been starving him! Of course, if he IS positive for FelLeuk and/or AIDS, that could be contributing to his weight loss. Not sure. I'd still love to hear from anyone who has had cats with FelLeuk and/or AIDS...what was your experience with that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

Sammy

I'm a wild-man!

Purred: Thu Aug 23, '12 5:52pm PST 
WONDERFUL NEWS!!!! Got a call from my vet a couple days ago. They had sent Sammy's blood out to an out-of-state lab to verify the positive Feline Leuk/AIDS test my vet got....the lab tested his blood twice, and he was negative for both diseases! My vet was very apologetic and said he thinks their machine that tests blood is broken in their office. It was a terrifying couple of weeks waiting for these results, but I am SOOOO relieved that my Sammy does not have Feline Leuk or Feline AIDS!!! Thank goodness! Now I don't have to worry about my other 7 cats catching it from him. Now I just have to focus on keeping Sammy healthy because of his heart condition. He's doing so much better since I realized he was losing weight because he didn't like the new food we switched the cats to 3 months ago (TOTW). Since I went back to Blue Buffalo he is eating a lot and has gone from 9.2 lbs to 10.6! I'll feel so much better if we can get him up to around 12 lbs. That's always been the most optimal weight for him (he's a pretty large framed cat).

Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave me support and advice! I really appreciate it!
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 10:07am PST 
That's wonderful news! So happy for you! What a relief. hug

I hope the vet gets the machine fixed. confused

Don't let him get too big, though.
[notify]

Siamber

I'm a dog!

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 1:28pm PST 
I am so sorry. I understand how you feel, well the panic part at least. We brought in 5 cats due to dumping in our area and now are up to 15. When one of the cats got tested about 2 month after we got her I held my breath and was so worried. It seriously feels like the 'end of the world' wait. Also when I took two other cats in (ones we've had for a while), it was the same gruesome wait.

I'm glad the test came back negative! big hug

Edited by author Fri Aug 24, '12 1:30pm PST

[notify]

Sammy

I'm a wild-man!

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 8:53pm PST 
Oh, don't worry...Sammy will probably never get too big. He's always been pretty lean & for years we've been fighting to get his weight up. He's always been a little under 12 lbs since he had his embolism 2.5 yrs ago. That might seem like a high weight but it's not for him as he is a big framed boy. Even at nearly 12 lbs he looks underweight. (Btw, the pic of him is from when he was a kitten...I need to get a more current pic of him for his profile. He is so regal & handsome. All our other cats fawn over him & act like he's the king of the jungle...lol)

Anyway, I hope my vet gets a new machine soon too! Next time I go in (which is WAY too often! LOL) I'll inquire about that.

Thank you all for your well-wishes! This is such a great website for crazy cat ladies like me!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 12:06pm PST 
excellent news! I know how nervous I was waiting the little bit to find out about Felix, I cannot imagine how you must have felt. I would be interested in hearing about the supplements you use for Sammy's heart condition, as Tig had it too. If you get a chance, pawmail me. Wohoooo happy kitty dances!cheersnoopypartypartyhi5
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2