GO!

Are pregnant cats super affectionate?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Kessie

Ooh where are we- going now?

Purred: Wed Aug 1, '12 8:42am PST 
My person has been volunteering with other cats at the local humane society. She had the experience of being loved on and cuddled by a pregnant cat.
I'm not too pleased about this development... but is it true that pregnant cats are extra affectionate? My person is wondering if this lovely vocal, cuddly cat will be the same after her babies are born, weaned and she returns to the shelter herself.
[notify]

Kiki

You... Treats...- Now...

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 9:03am PST 
Well, when momma was still living with her mom, a random cat wandered up in the middle of summer. She was pregnant at the time, and mom brought her in right before she was going to give birth. The few nights before she gave birth, she slept on her back, cuddled in momma's arms all night. So yes, in mom's experience, they are very affectionate.
[notify]

Starbuck

If I can't eat- it, I'm not- interested.

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 11:32am PST 
I had a cat when I was a kid who wasn't the most affectionate cat. She wasn't mean, just very independent and only allowed cuddling on her own terms. Suddenly she became extremely affectionate and was constantly cuddling and begging for attention. We soon discovered that she was pregnant.
After she gave birth she returned to her usual self. A while later she became very affectionate again and I told my parents she must be pregnant again. They blew me off, but sure enough she was pregnant again.
I don't know if it works the same way for all cats though.
[notify]

Sammy

I'm a wild-man!

Purred: Fri Aug 3, '12 8:57am PST 
We feed a feral cat (Honey) who is not fixed (we've tried and TRIED to trap her to get her fixed, but she is way too smart and we have not been successful yet!). She keeps getting pregnant and when she is close to having her babies, she suddenly becomes affectionate and lets us touch her. (we've tried getting her into a trap or carrier when she's in this friendly state, but she always escapes and gets away! Ugh!). Besides her, I've experienced many pregnant cats who become super friendly when they are expecting and even after they have their kittens. I'm sure it has to do with the hormones they are producing to help them bond with their babies.

(P.S. btw, I know this is kinda sad, but the feral cat (Honey) we can't trap that keeps getting pregnant always loses her kittens after they are a couple weeks old. It's sad, but good that she's not producing more cats that are feral and make even more feral cats...thankfully we have trapped and fixed her four siblings and their mother. She's the only one we have not gotten ahold of!)
[notify]