GO!

Nevah has a very serious heart murmur...

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Nevah

Anniversary Gift-

Purred: Tue Jul 24, '12 8:11pm PST 
So, I took Nevah in to the vet today. My vet told me that she has a very serious heart murmur to the point he asked me the question of whether I wanted to put Nevah to sleep or not. Off-course I said "No" as I feel she deserves a fighting chance.

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and could tell me the do's and don'ts when raising a kitten with severe heart.

I know as she gets older I can eventually put her on a heart supplement. I would like to begin my research now though on supplements so I know ahead of time what kind to get and not end up getting a cheap bad one.

Also, being that she is not the healthiest. Is there a certain food that I should have her on? I know the obvious wet food diet and grain free. Which she is on Felidae.

Also, I have read on the internet about some average and typical lifespans for cats with heart murmurs. I am curious to see though how long a cats life span is coming from a former or previous owner.

Help and Advice is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Worried Cat Mom
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Jul 25, '12 3:48pm PST 
have they done tests to see what is causing the murmur? an xray & echo of the heart will tell if there is heart disease. Tigger was diagnosed at 1 year with a #2 he has cardiomyopathy, and has been on meds and his murmur disappeared - he just turned 4. My point is hope is not lost, but you need more info as to what the problem is to know what to do. If this vet could not tell you anything more, I would get a second opinion honestly.
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Fri Jul 27, '12 5:50pm PST 
Hi Nevah!

I sent you a pawmail with info. about someone who can help you.

I hope it helps! smile
[notify]

Nevah

Anniversary Gift-

Purred: Sun Jul 29, '12 3:30pm PST 
Tigger- The vet told me that it is a defect that she was born with, as she was the runt of the litter. shrug
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Aug 1, '12 7:04am PST 
Has the vet diagnosed an underlying heart problem as the cause of this murmur? If you really are not getting answers, then I would seek a 2nd opinion. Tigger's murmur is caused by hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, but that does not mean that is what Nevah has. Some cats just have a murmur. What I would say, try to feed wet food - watch the salt in the food, and make sure she gets water to keep her hydrated. The salt can caus fluid retention, and make the heart work harder, same as with people. Grain free is the best, and there are options at all prices. But until you know if there is heart disease causing it, or a murmur only, it is hard to know what else to help with. Bumpurr is a big help with heart disease here too.
[notify]

Sammy

I'm a wild-man!

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 9:23pm PST 
Nevah,
My cat Sammy has a heart condition and 2 and a half years ago he threw a clot from his heart down his spine and into both back legs. It's called a Saddle Thrombosis. It is normally a death sentence. My vet is an amazing man and spent all night at the vet office trying to stabalize Sammy and keep him alive. Once he was stable the vet put him on Plavix (which is usually just used on humans with heart issues). In the meantime, I did a lot of research and found that Co Enzyme Q 10 is a miracle supplement for heart conditions. It strengthens the heart and can even reverse damage. My vet warned me that even with the Plavix Sammy probably would throw another clot within 6 months, and that one would most likely be fatal. I began making a "cocktail" of the Co Q 10, vitamin E oil, flaxseed oil, and vitamin paste and mixing in his Plavix. After a year Sammy was still kicking! My vet was surprised. But the Plavix was so expensive it was very hard for us to afford it. So our vet had us switch from the Plavix to 1/4th of a baby asprin every 3 days. BIG difference in the cost! For the past year and a half we've had him on the baby asprin mixed with the vitamin/supplment cocktail and he's still here! My vet is pretty amazed. I printed off info about the Co Q 10 for my vet and after reading it he said he was so impressed with the research that HE wanted to start taking it for himself! I highly recommend it. It is REALLY rare for a cat who has had a saddle thrombosis to live beyond a year after the first one (in most instances they don't survive the first one). I recommend anyone with a cat who has a heart condition to get them on Co Q 10 right away. It seems to be a miracle drug. Good luck with your fur baby!
[notify]