GO!

UTI prevention in male cats

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Junior

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 4:46pm PST 
About 5 weeks ago Junior made a trip to the vet for another UTI. This is about his 4th one and the worst so far of them all. They took x-rays and he has no crystallization so they put him on his usual round of medicine which he has finished and is back to feeling better. But I would like to try my best to prevent another infection.

Does anybody have any experience with preventative measures that work well. We have a Feliway plug to see if that helps reduce any stress he might have. But I didn't know if there was any more products or type of food that worked best.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 4:54pm PST 
What are you currently feeding? If it's dry food, you need to get rid of it. Dry food keeps a cat in a state of constant dehydration whch means the urine will be very concentrated and cyrstals will form in clumps and not get flushed out shrug

Here's some info: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

Canned foods have a high water content and will help keep the urinary system healthy and flushed smile Adding a little extra water to the canned fodo will ensure that your cat is well hydrated.

You don't need prescription canned food. That stuff is expensive and full of junk ingredients silenced Any commercial canned food is fine, preferably one that is grain-free and doesn't have icky ingredients like gluten.

My two cents
smile
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 7:01am PST 
Ben thru this, and have done extensive research on it, made some changes, no more crystals,no more urinary/bladder issues.

Besides the x-ray, they should have done an urinealasys, it shows if there is crystals, or bacteria, and it shows the urine ph. If the urine is too concentrated, it burns the bladder walls, hence, they get in and out of the cat box, and pee a little bit.

To prevent urine/bladder/crystals, you have to feed wet only, and mix it with water, so its real soupy, twice a day, this keeps them flushed out, this is beyond, imperative, its the key.

Feed only a grain free food, grains is one of many, causes of urinary/bladder/crystals, its the biggest one.

Do not use tap water, too many minerals, you have to use purified spring water, not distilled, not spring, but purified drinking water. I buy the store brand gal jug, its $1.00, some use Brita, some use PURR.

Make sure cat boxes are large, bedded deep, I bed mine 6 inches, and picked daily. You should have one more box, than you have cats, at least one box, per cat.

Boxes should be in a quiet out of the way area, not in a high traffic area, and pets should not be picked on by family members or other pets, and not prevented from getting to the boxes.

Prowler was only 2 yrs old, when he was blocked, late on a Sat night night. Luckily, one of my show friends was over, he was acting strange, I said something is wrong with Prowler. My friend watched him, and said, he is blocked, we have to get him to a vet, right now, in he went.

The vet, at that time, put him on Hills Science Diet SD and CD. Was at a show in Garden State, we were talking about food, I told them, they begged me to take him off of it, I said, well, the vet put him on it. They were right, the crystals came back, I said, something ain't right with this picture, and I did extensive research on it.

For future reference, if, they are blocked, you have 12 hrs, to get them to a vet, or, its too late.

I put him on Blue Wilderness, its grain free, by product free, gluten free, soy free, and low in salt.
And wet only, mixed with water, so its real soupy.

Tried to save money last year, gave him wet in the morn, dry at night. He started going in and out of the box. In he went. My vet, I have now, said what did you change. I told her. She said you **have** to give him wet only, mixed with the water, have to. His urine was too concentrated, from not being kept flushed out, it burned his bladder walls, hence, in and out of the box, he felt, like he had to go, even tho he didn't.

Back to wet only.

He is now 7 yrs old, no more issues.

The key, is too feed a grain free food, wet only, and mix with water, to keep them flushed out.
If they won't eat wet, which Bump wouldn't, at all, period, he got 1 teaspoon Gerber baby food, chicken or turkey ONLY, mixed with water, so it was like a broth, twice a day, and this is per my vet.

Merlin is right, forget the prescription diets, they don't work, Prowler is proof of that, and they are full of grains. The reason vets prescribe them, other than they sell them, is because the Hills and Royal Canin SO are very very high in salt. What happens, when you eat a very salty product? Ya drink more, which, is the object of the game, but feeding a food high in salt, and with grains, is not the safe way to accomplish this.

When he was blocked, it was a horrible, horrible experience, for me and him. The second time, was my fault, I learned the hard way, he is now a wet only boy.

Hope this helps and best of luck. (((((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))
[notify]

Junior

Purred: Tue Jul 24, '12 1:52pm PST 
My vet does a urinalysis each time, but this was the first time he was worried about crystals/blockage.

They are mostly fed wet food - Fancy Feast. But of the 3 cats he's the one most likely to walk away from food (he tries to bury it for later but it doesn't work). So we do supplement with some dry food. I didn't know about adding water to wet food though.

I just thought about this yesterday, and it may sound stupid, but can the type of litter bring on a UTI? After his last one we changed to unscented litter and he was doing pretty well. But about 2-3 weeks before his latest infection some scented litter got picked up and mixed in. And this was the longest he had went between infections (about a year and half) since he started getting them. And he loves to dig/bury in the litter box. If there wasn't a lid he would have litter everywhere.

Thanks for all of the information.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Jul 25, '12 4:00pm PST 
The fragrance might have irritated him - just like an allergy. Best thing I can say is water water water. Best for urinary issues. Tig gets extra water in his wet food & we have a fountain & water bowls all over. Also you might try Cosequin for cats. It is a sprinkle capsule that you can mix in food, and it helps the inflammation of the bladder, and from bacteria sticking to the cell walls. Won;t hurt them and it is not too expensive on Amazon. My 2 boys have been on it for a while.
[notify]

Coconut

My mom works for- MARS Petcare

Purred: Fri Jul 27, '12 8:52am PST 
Hi. I am a nutritionist for MARS Petcare. Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things. There are idiopathic urinary problems (meaning there are no known causes). A lot of them can be managed better with the prescription diets. I know a previous message suggested they dont work but you have to get the right diet. There are many different types of crystals and urinary problems and many diets are designed to handle one or two of them but not all of them. This becomes a problem if you dont have a good diagnosis of what the problem actually is.

The Royal Canin S/O diet can handle several crystals and has been used with idiopathic cystitis but I would check with your Vet to see if this is an option for you. They do make wet and dry varieties.

Wet foods are good for increasing urine volume and flushing the system but the over-the-counter canned foods are made for healthy cats, not necessarily for managing a known urinary tract problem.

I
[notify]

Memphis

World Domination- Is Easier With- Thumbs

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '12 3:28pm PST 
Wet food is the way to go. Once the infection has passed and he has finished his medications, I would go the wet route as others have described here. It's easier to constantly feed wet than have to jump back and forth between prescription and dry food -- normalizing the system is a good plan.

You know how people are advised to have 64 oz of water of day? Same idea -- cats need daily maintenance to be healthy. Granted, they were originally desert animals so they don't need a TON of water, but make sure they always have access to fresh water. I'd suggest a water fountain. I found a Petmate drinking fountain on Clearance for $10. Best money I ever spent.

If you think the cat is getting a UTI from holding it too long, you may want to investigate the litter box situation. Is it comfy? Safe? Big enough? Maybe get another one. I buy the standard jumbo size ones from Petco/Petsmart with the hood on, and I've never had problems.
[notify]

Jacks

I yowl,- therefore I am

Purred: Mon Jul 30, '12 6:46pm PST 
Sorry to hear that you are frustrated and having so many difficulties with bladder infections. I get bladder infections all the time ans mom has learned to control them. Canned food is very good for preventing urinary crystals and infections, as stated earlier. Also, make sure your food is low in magnesium to prevent struvite crystals, which cats mostly get. If you get oxalate crystals, which is rare in cats, make sure the food is low in calcium. This is where the prescription diets come in if you can't manage them. Another good thing to try for cystitis (which is chronic inflammation of the bladder without crystals) is Cosequin. This helps relieve inflammation. Good luck.
[notify]

Pete DB #117

I'm Pete- *meowmys- favorite*

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '12 1:43pm PST 
Try Potassium Citrate, best advice anyone has given mom for my UTI's. I started having them when I turned three years old. One after another, mom was tired of me feeling bad and staying on antibiotics. A Catster friend told her about using PC with her male cat. Mom tired it and I havent had a UTI since. Mom asked the vet about it also and they gave approval, Im not sure why vets dont tell people about it. Sprinkle a bit in the wet food just a few times a week for the first week, then once a week thereafter. It changes the PH level and no more UTI. I hope this helps mew.

http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/potassium-citrate-for-kid ney-stones

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Potassium Citrate-prod10762.html?AFFID=GG&ID=160115278

Edited by author Sun Nov 11, '12 1:47pm PST

[notify]

Fat Rudy

Fat Rudy - Can't- Cuddle...Eating

Purred: Wed Nov 14, '12 2:08pm PST 
My cat had a bunch of UTI's so I started feeding him Purina Pro Plan for Urinary Tract Health (I couldnt afford the Hills food at 2.50 a can). The Purina is good according to my vet, and it costs 1.20 a can.

I feed him only wet food. Never dry.

I also buy Uri-Ease treats and give him 10 a day (read directions for your cat). These are very expensive, about $15 a week. But I think they are working.

I also clean his litter box in the morning and at night. I know its a bother but once you start doing it, it becomes a habit and it's not a problem. I throw all the litter out every Sunday and clean the box with dishsoap and water.

He hasn't had any problems since so it seems to be working.

Good luck with your baby!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3