GO!

my cat has an open sore on his paw that isn't healing and I need some advice please!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:09pm PST 
My cat has been on Prednisolone for six years due to an allergy where he would itch so much he would get bare spots on his skin. About two years ago, he developed an open sore on a paw and it has gradually grown larger and now it is bright pink and quite puffed up, but not infected. I have been trying Derma Gel for one week now and it has not changed. He also has kidney disease, but no diabetes. He is around 12 years old. The vet told me that there is nothing that can be done. I would like to switch him off the Pred and put him on something else for his skin allergy. Any of you have something similar to this and have advice for me? Thanks!
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:13pm PST 
What do you feed?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 9:01am PST 
There are plenty of things that can be done for a cat with allergies - you don't have the right vet. The best thing you can do is to find a dermatologist. BK takes a medicine called Atopica that helps him tremendously. Here's his story: http://www.ibdkitties.net/Allergiesandraw.html
The first step is an elimination diet as explained here. It takes time and patience, but your cat CAN get better! Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any way.
[notify]