GO!

Found kittens- help me!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Pieces

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:48am PST 
I have found two kittens outside and they are about 6-8 weeks old. we found what appears to be a mother cat in the road after being hit by a car. The two kittens were easy to catch and friendly. Not sure if someone dumped them or what. They appear healthy and do not have fleas.

I am trying to find a no-kill shelter for them but there are a ton of waiting lists or no-answers. I would love to have them examined by a vet before bringing them indoors seeing how I have a few of my own but the costs of the vets are so expensive especially for kitties that will eventually end up going to a shelter or to another home.

Any thoughts, suggestions or resources that might be able to help? I'm desperate!
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '12 7:46pm PST 
I know how frustrating it is - I have 10 kittens & 4 moms in my back yard that I am trying to figure out how to get some a home & the rest TNR. What about calling a shelter to see if you could see their vet cheaper? Or if you are offering to foster them, the shelter may provide their care. If not, maybe your vet would do an minimum exam for you at a reasonable price. I am so frustrated because I want to keep them all & I can't. I am fairly certain that my hubby does not want 14 more cats beside the 3 we have. They are fed, and safe in my yard, but they deserve so much more. I wish I had more advice to offer - I don't know what to do myself.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '12 9:34pm PST 
Pieces - Bless you for wanting to give these kitties a chance they would no have otherwise little angel I don't have a lot of advice but maybe what I have can help. Our vet will give a fairly substantial discount for rescued animals. Check with your vet, explain the situation and see what he/she says. Some of the vets in my area will send around a mobile unit to the various pet stores. Petco is the one if I recall. Call Petco and see when the techs will be there. They give vaccinations and may do cats. Also, check with your local humane society. There may be specific days you can take the kittens in for low cost examinations. Keep us posted on this good deed you have undertaken.
[notify]

Pieces

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 5:35am PST 
Thank you both for your responses! I called around to the shelters in the area but since a lot of them are all volunteer run, I haven't received a call yet. I contacted a few friends to see if they possibly wanted to take them in for a furever home and they couldn't but one told me to contact a vet in town. The vet is one that my mother had used when I was a little girl and had cats. He ended up providing care for a stray cat over 15 years ago and took in her kittens and had adopted them. So I contacted that vet and he agreed to take the two kittens! Yea!

Kittens are safe and getting the medical attention that they may need. I still think they were dumped in the area since they have no fleas and do not appear to have any sort of sickness or goopy eyes!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 2:21pm PST 
that's great news! that gives me hope for when I start making calls next week for the now 10 kittens cavorting around my back yard...except I wanna keep em all they are so cute.happy dance
[notify]

Pieces

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 4:40pm PST 
Good luck! Call local vets if the shelters can't accept them! Please update!
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:03pm PST 
YAY Pieces! Such good news today! So glad you called the vets and found someone to take the babies. They will find good forever homes for sure applause
[notify]