GO!

Strong ammonia urine smell

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Wed May 16, '12 4:51pm PST 
I have 3 cats, 2 female 1 male. My one female orange tabby seems to be, only lately, having a very strong urine that also doesn't clump in the litter. Reading previous threads, I see something about stones, as well as dehydration. How can I be sure, other than a vet visit? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Wed May 16, '12 6:54pm PST 
I know this sounds silly, but...check and mke DOUBLE, triple sure your litter is clearly labeled "clumping' or 'scoopable'. A lot of the packages look almost alike, and non clumping litter collects a lot of P and gets that headvy ammonia buildup if the whole box isn't dumped every couple of days. Your kitty is NOT peeing ammonia, it's got to be 'old' pee. Meowma made this mistake before!
It's also possible that somehow the bag/box got mislabeled. If it IS clumping litter, it absolutely WILL clump when wet no matter if the liquid is pee, water, lemon juice, tomato soup....anything.
[notify]

Purred: Wed May 16, '12 6:58pm PST 
That was my thinking also that it would clump no matter what, but it clumps for the other cats urine, as when I am cleaning the box, there are some clumps, so that can't be the problem.
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Thu May 17, '12 3:53am PST 
What kind of litter do you use, exactly, what do you feed, and is it wet or dry?

If urine is too concentrated, it will smell like that. Urine that is too concentrated, will also burn the bladder walls and cause bladder or UTI issues. You dilute the urine, by feeding wet, mixed with water, so its real soupy. This keeps the urine diluted and it keeps them flushed out, preventing crystals or UTI's. If kitty is being only dry, you take 1 teaspoon Gerber baby food, mixed with water, so its like a broth, twice a day.

The only true way, to see if she has issues, is to take her to the vet, and get a urinealyisis. They insert a needle into the bladder, to get a clean catch, and test the urine, for bacteria, stones, crystals and it tells them, if the urine is too concentrated.

Also, if they just peed, it will not clump, it will break apart, when you pick it out, and it will smell.
[notify]

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 7:46am PST 
Cat urine consists of mainly three parts. Urea makes the urine sticky and allows the other two parts to stick around. Urochrome gives the urine its ugly yellow color that stains carpets, furniture, the wall and anything the cat sprays or urinates on. The third main part of the urine is Uric Acid. Uric acid in the urine consists of salts and crystals that give off the extremely pungent odor creating a gaseous state that attaches to positive ions floating in the air. Each of these ions has a positive electrical charge because it is missing an electron. This enables the odor to drift in the air carrying the odor throughout the room settling in the carpet, drapes and walls creating an uncomfortable living condition. Ozone generators and ionizers remove the odors by creating negative ions, aerosol sprays and candles only replace the odor with a more pleasant odor but these sprays have other health issues. There is a natural permanent one-time application, which will resolve odor problems, called Air-ReNu a paint additive, you only have to apply it once works 24/7/365. www.air-renu.com
[notify]

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 7:46am PST 
Cat urine consists of mainly three parts. Urea makes the urine sticky and allows the other two parts to stick around. Urochrome gives the urine its ugly yellow color that stains carpets, furniture, the wall and anything the cat sprays or urinates on. The third main part of the urine is Uric Acid. Uric acid in the urine consists of salts and crystals that give off the extremely pungent odor creating a gaseous state that attaches to positive ions floating in the air. Each of these ions has a positive electrical charge because it is missing an electron. This enables the odor to drift in the air carrying the odor throughout the room settling in the carpet, drapes and walls creating an uncomfortable living condition. Ozone generators and ionizers remove the odors by creating negative ions, aerosol sprays and candles only replace the odor with a more pleasant odor but these sprays have other health issues. There is a natural permanent one-time application, which will resolve odor problems, called Air-ReNu a paint additive, you only have to apply it once works 24/7/365. www.air-renu.com
[notify]

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 6:12pm PST 
The exact thing has started happening in the last month with our female orange tabby!! It is NOT the litter, as our other cat's clump. I'm sure it's a bladder or urinary tract problem, as the smell is unbelievably strong. She's riddled with so many other health problems, though...could be just another "female orange" defect, sadly :o(. I don't know what the answer is, but know you're not alone ;o).
[notify]

Elizabeth

Purred: Sun Sep 30, '12 3:23pm PST 
A follow up to my last post. We took our Orange girl to the vet and sadly, she has a very fast growing tumour in her abdomen about the size of a nectarine. We couldn't feel it because it is in the centre of her body. The tumour was restricting urine flow...hence the urine smell and lack if "clump". I hope this is not the problem with your kitty :o(.
[notify]