GO!

Allergic to cat litter?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mister Grey- (Striped- Seven)

TICA M.S. (HHP- Champion)

Purred: Sat Feb 4, '12 4:11pm PST 
I think my cats are allergic to their cat litter. Anyone have this problem?
I posted here before about Mr Grey's allergies and EGC issues. Well he was doing better lately on the Atopica, no more rodent ulcers and his feet sores had healed.
Then recently I ran out of the litter I was using (Purr and Simple brand) and they didn't have any at the store, so I used an old bag of litter I had from before. It was Nature's Miracle newspaper litter. Well soon after I switched over, Mr Grey started licking his back feet raw again, and then he developed a raw spot between his toes on one foot and the other foot became swollen. His lips were also starting to look red which usually happens before the rodent ulcers.
His brother Spot also had developed some sore spots on his paw pad and on his stomach. Something similar had happened to them before and now that I think about it, last time that happened was when they had been using the Nature's Miracle and a crystal type litter...
I took them in to the vet and she gave me antibiotics and did therapeutic laser on their paws and Spot's stomach. My vet said the most likely culprit is whatever they are using for the "natural fresh scent" in the litter.
I am trying to avoid any litter with corn, wheat, or soy because of Mr Grey's food allergies and I figured pine based litter is more likely to be irritating, so there's not a lot of choices left. I tried Yesterdays News clumping type before but I found it really difficult to clean because the pellets basically disintegrate when they get wet.
Luckily I was able to get more of the Purr and Simple litter instead. It isn't great, but at least they don't seem to be allergic to it!
Most of my boxes are Tidy Cat Breeze boxes but the cats strongly prefer to have one with actually litter rather than the Breeze pellets...
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Sat Feb 4, '12 4:54pm PST 
There's a brand new one on the market that I just picked up today. I haven't tried it yet but I have a friend online who loves it. It's called Green Tea Leaves Cat Litter.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Feb 4, '12 8:46pm PST 
Oh I actually heard of that litter before, but I can't seem to find it in my area and it seems expensive online...

I hate to see poor Mr Grey with his paw all swollen. frown
I can tell he's not feeling well because he is always more cuddly when he doesn't feel good, like he wants me to make him feel better. silenced
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

Purred: Sat Feb 4, '12 10:02pm PST 
It's expensive at a lot of places but there are some where it's a lot cheaper. Let me see if I can find some for you. I just happened to see it today at my local holistic pet shop and I was pretty surprised. They were selling it for $8 a bag which is half the price of what I've seen online, even less than that in some cases. I bought 2 bags but I haven't had a chance to change their litter yet.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

Purred: Sat Feb 4, '12 10:07pm PST 
I just found some at Waggintails for the same price as I paid for it. Green tea cat litter

If you google it, you can find it all over the place. This is far cheaper than through Amazon.com and some other places.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sat Feb 4, '12 10:40pm PST 
Have you tried plain, unscented clay litter?

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '12 4:24am PST 
It's very possible. BK is allergic to the wheat litter. I had brought it in for a foster once and BK had an immediate reaction. We don't have any trouble with the World's Best (corn) but if I were you I would probably stay away from any food based litter to be sure. Also, stay away from anything scented.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '12 9:11pm PST 
Thanks Finnegan! That is much better than the prices I was seeing (like $25 from Amazon!)

I have had problems with clay litters so I don't want to use those either...
[notify]

Watson

He's no- Sherlock!

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '12 11:28pm PST 
If he's not going to ingest the litter, then the corn or wheat based ones should be fine. It's when they eat something with those in that the allergies will be triggered.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Feb 6, '12 4:52am PST 
Watson, you may have missed my post above but the litter does not have to be ingested to cause a reaction. Some of us have environmental allergies in addition to food ones and these litters make us itch and scratch.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3