GO!

Meowing at the litterbox?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mia

You have left me- no other- choice........

Purred: Sun Jan 22, '12 8:33pm PST 
So for the past several days now Mia has been meowing before heading to the litter box. She is going number one and number two. Not real sure how often she is supposed to go...
Anyway, I thought well maybe her box is to small now, we have had it since we got her as an itty bitty baby, now shes like 3-4 times that size! so today while we was at Petco getting her nails done, hubby and I got her a HUGE litter box. Guess what? Shes still meowing frown
trust me I don't mind her sounds! She hardly meows! This evening during the Patriots game I noticed her laying down on the floor with her human brother and she wasn't letting her but hit the floor. Also her tail was twitching.
Any ideas on whats going on here? oh btw if someone can let me know how often she should be doing her business that would be great.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 4:33am PST 
Hi Mia! How often she uses the litter box kind of depends on what you are feeding her, but in general, she should be peeing several times a day and pooping about once a day. The pee spots should be a good size, at least around the size of an egg.

Often when a cat cries when using the litter box it indicates a urinary tract infection or crystals, but I think that she is too young to have crystals. Personally, I would call your vet and ask them.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Mia

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 7:23am PST 
Thanks Shade! Mia does pee quite a bit! and the pee area is that of an egg. Bowel movement is more like twice a day, she is eating Purina Kitten chow (dry) and once a week ok sometimes twice a week I give her a wet fancy feast. I observed her last night ok I stalked her.. peeing was not an issue, it seems that when she had to go number two she was doing the meowing more. She did meow once when it was pee time, sort of like an announcement of HEY I GOTTA PEE! Her tummy feels as it always has, no change there. Thinking of moving the litter box. maybe this will help? maybe she just dont like the spot it's in?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 8:25am PST 
You might want to research why a canned food diet would be so much healthier for her - I recommend catinfo.org for the best info. If she is having a urinary issue from not having enough moisture in her food it could be painful for her to pee which she might "blame" on the box. Having said that, I have a foster who sometimes meows before and after pooping. It seems to be a big event in her day and she'd like to let us know, mol. I hope that's all this is!
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 9:36am PST 
Randy often announces when he's going to use the litterbox and also when he's finished. He likes to let it be known when he enters or leaves a room, jumps on a counter, finds or hides a toy. He's very vocal about his accomplishments. But since this is a new behavior for Mia, I would suggest taking her in for a checkup to make sure that her meowing isn't a sign that she's uncomfortable or in pain.

I agree with BK about looking into feeding a wet diet. We eliminated dry food for both our cats several months ago. Neither of them drink much water anymore since switching to all-canned, but they both pee just as often, 3-4 times per day usually.

Edited by author Mon Jan 23, '12 9:38am PST

[notify]

Mia

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 12:50pm PST 
Bk, I am def going to check that out. I was informed by the lady that I got her from that she should eat kitten chow for about a year. But then again... she didnt really seem all that concerned with the cats that she had. we got Mia when she was only 5 weeks old according to this lady, Mia was already eating Kitten chow for 2-3 weeks.

Ralphie and Randy, my husband suggested that maybe she just wants to tell us that she was in or about to go to the box. I thought to my self.. how silly, I thought cats dont like attention when they are doing business!

We are going to try and get into the vet within the next few days to be on the safe side. I am going on vacation in a month and Mia will be with my neighbor who I trust! Just want to make sure that she is healthy.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 1:42pm PST 
I'm glad you'll take her into the vet just to make sure nothing is wrong with her anal sacs or she doesn't have a UTI. My Lacey announces VERY LOUDLY after she's gone pee or poop! laugh out loud She loves for us to know this, I don't know why. But what I would also consider doing is yes, definitely going to an all wet diet but go grain free. No grains or fillers. I have a whole list, even some of them Fancy Feast, on my website that are grain free: http://ibdkitties.net/Food.html. A kitty needs a high quality protein, low carb grain free diet. You'd be surprised at what that can do for them! Shiny coats, more energy, easier bathroom habits, etc.

Another thing is to make sure the litter box is not enclosed. Many kitties feel trapped. Also try to get some litter that isn't so dusty, put the box in an easily accessible place, etc. Good luck and please keep us posted! big grin
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 2:55pm PST 
I HIGHLY recommend, you take her off Purina Kitten Chow. Do not, feed any Purina products, which include Fancy Feast, Meow Mix, Friskies.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html

Kittens can go on adult food, at 8 months.

Wet, mixed with water, so its real real soupy, keeps them flushed out and keeps their urine from getting to concentrated, which can cause bladder issues. waveway to gohug
[notify]

Kitty

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 3:42pm PST 
She's in heat. I had 3 female cats. They keep their butt in the while squatting like. Keep her away from males.

Was she like this? The cat on the right.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 4:41pm PST 
Cruiser me and Lacey eat FF the grain free ones along with other premium grain free cat food and we've had no issues at all. Purina cat chow is a whole different ball game. But I haven't heard of anyone besides yourself who had issues with the FF. Sometimes I think certain kitties can't handle certain by products or things like that. Maybe that was it? shrug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2