GO!

Just diagnosed with Diabetes!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 8:38am PST 
My buddy Oz recently has been drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot. He had bloodwork done yesterday, and I got the call this morning letting me know he has diabetes. Poor guy, he already has asthma!

So, Ozzie and Momma go to the vet Monday morning so I can learn to give him his insulin shots. Because this is such a new thing, it's pretty scary.

I am assuming they will try to push prescription food on me, but Momma knows most of it is garbage. My guys have been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Grain Free Wellness pouches.

Are there any high quality non-prescrption foods that can be used for diabetic kitties? Also, seeing how I have another kitty Milo here who doesn't have diabetes, can he eat it as well???

Also, is there is anything else I should ask the vet on Monday? I really am hoping we can get this to go into remission.

As a side note, for all of you cat owners who sense something wrong with your cat always trust your gut. In my experiences both with Ozzies Asthma and now the diabetes I knew something wasn't right with him. I of course had people tell me I was overreacting or I take my cat to the vet too much. You are the person who knows your animal the best so always trust yourself.

Thanks all on catster for your continued advice and support. It has helped so much!!!

Ozzie and Vivian
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 9:10am PST 
Hey Ozzie, sorry to hear about that. I wanted to mention that sometimes blood glucose values can also be elevated temporarily with steroids (for a period of time). Sometimes it can be temporary, but sometimes not. You might want to look into steroid-induced diabetes. Also there is a pretty good chance that he can go into remission over time anyway. Starting treatment right away (insulin and diet) can increase the chance for remission. What insulin are you going to use?

For food, just feeding a low carb (grain-free and meat-based) canned food is the way to go. In my opinion (and from the experience of lots of diabetic cats on diabetes sites), wet food is better, because even "grain-free" dry food can be a lot higher in carbs and more glycemic. Most cats on the Feline Diabetes Message Board just eat low carb canned food. Just a suggestion.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes stress from being at the vet can increase blood glucose levels. Testing Ozzie's BG at home would be helpful and is something to consider. It sounds difficult, but it's pretty easy once you learn. I've got some links to diabetes sites and info on Gump's page. Hang there, you can do this. hug

Purrs for Ozzie.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 9:36am PST 
Oh Ozzie, we're so sorry to hear this. Just wanted to tell you to hang in there. Gump is a wonderful help for diabetic kitties and with his help we've gotten two fosters off insulin and we're working on a third.

I do want to reiterate the low carb, wet food diet that Gump mentioned. That's how we got the fosters "off the juice". You may need the insulin in the beginning to give Ozzie's pancreas time to recover, but with a good diet there's a chance of controlling it. The Binky's food charts are a valuable resource - they have all the carb counts of various brands. Look for food with under 10% carbs - 5-7% is even better. There are two charts and you can reach them from here: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html

Good luck and please keep us posted!
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 9:49am PST 
hughughughug

I'll "third" what Gump and BK said about diet, but I really just wanted to send hugs. We're purring for you!
[notify]

Elijah Lil- Tweet

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 10:29am PST 
Sending loads of hugs your way from Mommy and me
hughughughughughughughughug

Edited by author Sat Sep 24, '11 10:30am PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 4:56pm PST 
Go to http://www.felinediabetes.com way to go

You'll find lots of good info there about how to manage the diabtes, from food to insulin shots to home blood glucose testing and more. There's also a very good message board smile

Yes, there are non-prescription foods you can eat that are also good for you sibling way to go You want low carb canned foods. Brands like Fancy Feast, Friskies, and Wellness are popular but not all varieties are low enough in carbs for a diabetic. There is a great food chart that you can use to find good low carb foods, http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html use both charts. Look at the carb column and choose foods that have a number 10 or less. If you like Fancy Feast, here's the low carb/gluten free list http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm Some of the regular Fancy Feast are good, they just have gluten in them which may be a potential allergen.

Gravy-based foods, like the ones that come in pouches, tend to be too high in carbs for a diabetic. I would't feed those. But do keep a few cans or pouches fo gravy foods around to use in case of a hypo. The high carbs will increase the blood glucose level to a more normal level.

Questions to ask the vet after diagnosis
Questions to ask a vet if you need a new one

I highly suggest starting low carb canned food now before you start insulin. If you start insulin and then change the diet, it becomes a little tricky because diet change will impact blood glucose levels and insulin need. Start insulin no more than a week after going on a low carb diet. The sooner you start a low carb diet and insulin, the greater your chances of remission are, especially if you use a good insulin way to go

Edited by author Sat Sep 24, '11 4:58pm PST

[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 6:57pm PST 
You can read about Gump's diabetes and his experience with it here: http://ibdkitties.net/felinediabetes.html. Sorry to hear this about Oz. He's been through so much already. big hug
[notify]

Lenny and- Squiggy

Purred: Sun Sep 25, '11 3:48am PST 
Hi Vivian and Ozzie,

I am so sorry to hear Ozzie's latest news. Good luck on Monday with your follow up. I do not know any info on food and diabetes control. I believe he does need to be on a wet food only diet.

Is Ozzie still on Pred.? Did your vet indicate how you were going to continue to treat his Asthma with the diabetes? If he is on pred. at the time of the tests, did the vet think it was steroid induced? I do not believe he can continue to take prednisolone in the future and you may need to move him to inhaled steroids for future mmgt of the asthma. If your vet agrees, send me a P.M. before buying Flovent at the pharmacy. I have extras purchased online for a 1/4 of the costs and can help get your started.

Is there a Yahoo group for Diabetes? I have been working with the Feline Asthma group and they have been great helping me get my boys better. They might be able to help you too with managing both conditions. Just a thought.

My heart goes out to you, Ozzie and Milo. Its been a tough year for you guys!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Sep 25, '11 6:18am PST 
Adding that the best treatment for asthma in a diabetic cat is Flovent way to go The Flovent molecules are too large to pass through the lungs and affect blood gluocse levels. You give Flovent using the AeroKat device: fit the Flovent into one end of the device, put the mask end over the cat's nose and administer X amount of puffs that way.

There might be a Yahoo group for feline diabetes thinking But I don't think they are as good as the FelineDiabetes.com message board. The FelineDiabetes.com is very active so you will get a response pretty quicky. And there are separate boards: one only for Health topics, one for general chit-chat, several for specific insulins, etc. Yahoo Groups tend to be very slow, IMO, and messages are just jumbled up together as they are posted shrug
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Sun Sep 25, '11 3:47pm PST 
Are you still taking oral steroids for the asthma? If so, it might be beneficial if you switched to inhaled meds because the side effects are much less, with the steroid being targeted directly to the lungs, a much lower dose is used compared to oral steroids.
Just thought this was worth mentioning - if you ever want to find out more, I recommend the Yahoo group 'felineasthma_inhaledmeds' - which is a very useful and informative group for asthma cats.
Purrs ~ Blade
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2