GO!

Please help my cat is foaming after flea spray

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lucy

Little Miss- Cheeky

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 7:22am PST 
Hi,

I sprayed my cat last night with "Bob Martin Silent Flea Spray"

however she has groomed herself and it foaming at the mouth, it happens for a few minutes then goes off, and when she grooms again it happens again.

should i be concerned?

Thank you !

Edited by author Sat Aug 20, '11 7:23am PST

[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 7:26am PST 
Please rinse/wash this stuff off of her and call your vet ASAP!
[notify]

Mya

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 9:12am PST 
OMG. Please call your VET or emergency vet ASAP....
[notify]

Sophie

2cute4words

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 9:24am PST 
Sorry Lucy, it seems that a lot of kitties are having the same reaction to this stuff! I would definitely wash it off at the very least! Here is an example of the many reviews that are out there for this product...

Tweet

Review of Bob Martin Flea Kill

Written on: 8/07/2011

"made cat very ill"

Used on 10 year old cat, immediately started foaming at the mouth and moaning as if in pain. 24 hours later, still foaming and the amount of drool only increased. Took her to the vet and they said there is an ingredient in the cheaper stuff that is incredibly lethal and reactions are common. He said they're just best to avoid. Been given medicine to calm her reactions down, but she is not herself. I would avoid any sprays and products of this type and go for something better established!
[notify]

Emy&Molly

That's mine!

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 7:55pm PST 
In general, any over the counter flea, tick, ect. sprays or treatments should not be used. They're not FDA approved, and haven't been tested for side effects or toxicity.

Did you take the little one to the vet? How are they doing?

Hope they'll be okay frown

Edited by author Sat Aug 20, '11 7:56pm PST

[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 9:29pm PST 
Yes, we just saw a thread about counterfeit Frontline and this is the very problem with all of this stuff. PLEASE get her to the ER or a vet asap. This stuff can cause liver failure, respiratory failure, tremors, seizures, nerve damage. These are pesticides we're talking about so if this is a counterfeit product, it can have an unsafe amount of pesticide and your cat may be poisoned. Please let us know what happens okay? frown
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 11:42pm PST 
Bob Martin's spray for cats contains pyrethrins. Pyetherins are generally considered safe for use in cats, but can become toxic at high doses.

Products formulated for dogs often contain pyrethroids, which are safe for dogs but highly toxic to cats. shock

Here is some information I found about pyrethrin/pyrethroid poisoning in cats: http://www.cat-world.com.au/pyrethrin-a-pyrethroid-poisoning

Did your kitty see the vet? We're purring that she is all right!
hug

Lucy

Little Miss- Cheeky

Purred: Sun Aug 21, '11 10:59am PST 
thank you everyone for your help and advice it was very much appreciated i am almost back to my purring self again

my owner washed all of the spray off me immediately and dried me off, i was monitored and they saw an improvement , they also rung the vet for advice and i am being taken for a check up next week

also my owner made a complaint to pets at home about selling the product, don't want to be put through that pain again!kitty
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Sun Aug 21, '11 12:32pm PST 
Fantastic news!!! Thank you so much for calling the vet this is wonderful. So glad to hear she's back to normal. What a scare, she's such a little cutie!!! applause
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Sun Aug 21, '11 3:06pm PST 
glad to hear u are feeling better. my mom tried use an otc flea med on us and me and alexis were both bothered by the fact it was on us. we kept trying lick off. and i threw up from it. so that was end flea meds for us
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2