GO!

How long for L Lysine to take effect?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Harley

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 6:24pm PST 
I have been giving L Lysine for 6 days now. I started with 250 mg the first two days and then 500 mg the rest of the time. As you probably remember both of my cats have URI's. I have also kept them both separated, cleaned their food and water bowls daily, etc. I think they are getting a little bit better but they definitley still have it. I was wondering how long it normally takes to see results from the L Lysine?
[notify]

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 6:39pm PST 
Harley, I'm so sorry you and your sister are still suffering from that nasty URI and hope you both feel much better soon!

It took 3-4 weeks before mom could definitely tell that the lysine was working. Supplements work slower than drugs and need time to build up in the system. I took lysine for almost 3 months *just in case*. Some kitties who have herpes and are prone to URIs tell me they take low doses of lysine every day as a preventative.

Purrs!
[notify]

Harley

Purred: Wed May 11, '11 5:46am PST 
Thank you. That makes me feel a little better! Both cats are about to finish another round of antibiotics. We are almost a month into this URI. When you were sick did you stay on an antibiotic until you were better?
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Wed May 11, '11 7:39am PST 
Smitty & Tigger had them in November, and it took a while to clear up. Smitty was still small, so it took him over a month to stop being snuffy. I want to say they both had about 10 days, and then Smitty got a second round. Be sure to take all of the course of meds, even if they feel better, so it doesn't rebound.
[notify]

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Wed May 11, '11 7:41am PST 
I had conjunctivitis in both eyes from the herpes virus and not a URI. URIs are usually harder to clear up. Viral infections don't respond to antibiotics but the antibiotics do help prevent complications from the URI. I really believe that once the l-lysine starts to work, your URI will clear up.

My conjunctivitis was bad -- red, runny eyes with discharge and I couldn't keep my eyes open. We tried an antibiotic ointment first but it didn't do much good. The infection came back after a week or so and was worse than before. We tried another ointment in conjunction with the L-lysine and that got it cleared it up but it took over a month before I was home free.
[notify]

Harley

Purred: Wed May 11, '11 7:53am PST 
Luckily we have had no eye problems.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!smile
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Wed May 11, '11 11:43am PST 
Hang in there, Harley! As others have said, supplements like L-lysine don't work with the immediacy we are often conditioned to expect with Western medicine antibiotics, etc. However, they do work. Finn had a URI that would not quit - but I saw a marked improvement within two weeks or so of starting the L-lysine and he continues to take it to this day.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Wed May 11, '11 3:18pm PST 
I give my cats 250mg a day, and they are big cats. Wilson has the URI, and Shadow I give to just to up her immune system. I found it took about a wekk before I saw results with Wilson. It takes a while to get in the system, but if you miss a day then it does to go out of the system very quickly. I give it the same time every morning. Hope your kitty starts to feel better soon. smile
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Wed May 11, '11 3:30pm PST 
We get 250 mg daily, because I have the eye problem also. I'm not sure exactly how long it takes, but around a week seems right. My eye still has a flareup on occasion and then I get an extra 250 mg, after which the eye usually gets well within 3 days. The kids get it so they don't get the virus from me. Meowma even takes 500 mg a day and seems to have less severe seasonal allergies/sinus infection since starting it. (She recently had surgery and was told that L-lysine would help prevent an infection. She isn't sure about that, but will keep taking it on account of the sinus thing
[notify]

Harley

Purred: Wed May 11, '11 5:34pm PST 
Thanks! This gives us encouragement...we are patiently waiting for no more sneezing and coughing! dancing
[notify]