GO!

Shallow Breathing and Inactive Cat

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Muxu

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 6:08am PST 
We have this adorable friendly stray cat on our porch, where he stays almost all the day and sleeps in a basket there.

Last week we took him to the vet and he told us that he had a slight infection in his tonsils, and gave him some antibiotics. Now it has been a week and we gave him all the antibiotics, but we have noticed that his breathing is shallow, even when he sleeps, his ears are a bit warm and he lazies about almost all day. He has become very inactive.

I am worried that he might have something hurting him in his side or some respiratory symptom because when we pick him up and squeeze a bit one side of his torso he sometimes meows. We took him to the vet but it appeared that he did not have anything, however I am still concerned.

He eats regularly but sleeps almost the entire day. And we have noticed that he has lost some weight too.

Could you please help? :/ I'm worried about him so much.
[notify]

Emma Barrett

It\'s good to be- the Queen

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 7:29am PST 
Sounds like you need to call the vet. Is the medicine he gave you Clavamox? This usually takes care of all infections, and I have used it for respiratory infections as well. On the other hand, he may need another week of the medications.

Best thing to do is call the vet, and bless you for taking care of this stray and worrrying about him.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 9:11am PST 
Shallow breathing is a sign of distress and he's not getting enough oxygen to the brain. He could have ashtma, allergies, he could have something wrong with his heart. If this vet doesn't want to run the proper tests, look for another one and do it now. An infection isn't going to be making him breath like this for this long. Please see if you can consult another vet. Do yo have a cat only vet in your area? If you do, take him there. They're much better with kitties. way to go
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 9:12am PST 
You know, now that I think of it, I even wonder if he's gotten bit by a tick! Can you check him over really well for ticks?
[notify]

Muxu

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 12:17pm PST 
Hey guys thanks for responding to my post. Now that I've read them I'm feeling more concerned about him. I do not know really what could be the cause but I'd definitely take him to the vet next week.

No I don't think that was the name of the antibiotic, the package looked like a syringe and the solution looked like paste.

Now that I think of it.. could it be that he is feeling this way because my mum gave him a fraction of a panadol before we took him to the vet last time?
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 1:22pm PST 
SHE DID WHAT??????!!!!!! acetaminophen is EXTREMELY TOXIC TO CATS. GET HIM TO THE ER NOW. DON'T WAIT OR YOU COULD LOSE HIM! I AM NOT JOKING! This is very, very serious. He could be going into liver failure as we speak!!!!

Panadol toxic to cats

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get him to the vet NOW!!! I can't stress this enough!!! eek
[notify]

Muxu

Purred: Sat Apr 23, '11 11:44am PST 
Hi guys... just came back from the vet's. My poor little baby is worse than we thought.. He was diagnosed with water/blood in his lungs. The vet took away a lot of it but we do not have high hopes. We will wait till tomorrow and if he gets worse or does not get any better, I will have to put him down.

I am so sad :'(

Please pray for him, we need a miracle for him to be healed :'(
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Apr 23, '11 12:21pm PST 
I'm so very sorry this happened. I really am. We'll purr hard for him, for a miracle.

I know your mom didn't mean to give him that pill and I don't know if it had anything to do with this. Please tell her though in the future to never do that again as it's highly toxic. Also please tell her we're rooting for him.

Many hugs and purrs
Angel Alex
hug
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Sat Apr 23, '11 12:33pm PST 
purring for your little one

My Sweet- Lady- (Rainbow- Bridge)

My bestest- companion

Purred: Sat Apr 23, '11 12:48pm PST 
The prayer has just been said. On this weekend of hope, please, Lord, restore this little one to health.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2