GO!

Anyone with ANY cystotomy experience?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Milkyway

Purred: Tue Apr 5, '11 5:08pm PST 
Milkyway had a cystotomy done yesterday morning and they told me she was doing really well so I could take her home this afternoon. The doctor covered how her procedure went and what I ought to do at home, and he brought up the fact that there's always a possibility of internal urine leakage or hemorrhaging. Now she's sleeping and she seems really weak when I pick her up, but she's still eating really well and drinking. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid--odds are she's fine, right?
Also- does anyone know about how long it take before the bladder internally heals? My vet told me internal wounds heal faster than external wounds. If her stitches come out next Saturday, her actual badder ought to be healed much sooner, right?

Sorry to sound all paranoid, just need some reassurance!
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Apr 5, '11 5:46pm PST 
Didn't know what this was, so had to look it up. Here is a link, so you can read more about it. big grin

Crystals

If I understand it correctly, the crystals build up, then form stones, then they have to do surgery, which is called a cystotomy. This one I can help you with, been thru it twice, with Prowler.

Altho the article advocates using the urinary diets, like Hills Science Diet and Royal Canin, I can tell you from experience, twice, not only do they not work, they contribute to it. The first time it happened, I was lucky, one of my cat show friends was over, was watching Prowler, and told me, he has crystals, he has to go to the vet, like right now, in he went. Vet at that time, put him on Hills Science Diet SD to disolve the crystals, the CD to manage the crystals.

Guess what, they came back a second time. So I did the research, its been over 2 yrs, no more crystals.

Kitty has to go on a quality grain free feed, grains are one cause of crystals, Hills and RC are full of grains.
I feed Blue Wilderness, chicken, the blue one, its by Blue Buffalo, you can get it at Petsmart or Petco.

Kitty has to be fed wet food, twice a day, no more dry, wet food has to be mixed with warm water, so its real real soupy, I mean, real soupy. This keeps them flushed out, which is IMPERATIVE.

Kitty can not have tap water, tap water has too many minerals in in, minerals cause crystals. Some use purified drinking water, some use Brita, some use PURR.

You need one kitty box for each kitty, some advocate even one more. Boxes have to be large, picked evey day, bedded deep, like 6 inches, and use one box baking soda, once a week, mixed in, to help with the smell. Do not use hooded boxes, boxes should be open.

Kitty boxes need to be in a quiet out of the way area, not in high traffic areas, not near washer/dyer/furnace, that can come on suddenly and scare kitty. Other pets or family members should not pick on or bully the kitty.

This one is huge, most over look it. Household has to be stress free. No fighting, yelling, no loud parties, no alot of people over. Kitties pick up on stressfull situations.

Your vet should of told you, how she would act, for how long, and when she should start acting/feeling better. I have no idea, neuters/spays I can tell you. Call him in the morning and ask him, and write it down, what he tells you. Also, write down any questions ahead of time, so you don't forget, my vet trained me to do that one, mol.

Hope this helps, best of luck, make sure she is eating something and drinking. Its important, she get fluids, so she stays hydrated. Mix 1/2 teaspoon Gerber baby food, chicken, with warm water, so its like a broth. This gets water into her and a little nutrition, until she eats and drinks normally.

Please keep us updated. ((((((((((((BIG HUGS TO YOU))))))))) No one on here is as overly pickey and overly worried as me, so we are all here for you. hug wave big grin way to go
[notify]

Milkyway

Purred: Tue Apr 5, '11 5:56pm PST 
lol thanks a ton for your help! big grin
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Apr 9, '11 2:02pm PST 
When Macy had his bladder surgery, it was really scary. He was tired and pretty weak for the first few days but as the days went on he kept getting better and better. I was concerned about him still peeing tiny amounts and still acting like he was having issues, but it took about a month for that to get normal.

Also he had his stitches for about a week, and it seems like after he had them out is when he started to heal fast. That was in October and knock on wood he is still doing well.

If I can think of anything else I will come back and post, I have to run to town so thinking back really quick right at the moment.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Apr 9, '11 2:33pm PST 
From what we've seen here on Catster, a cat can take days to come fully out of the anesthesia, just like what's happening with Milkway. I guess because their livers don't process it at the same rate that humans do. But it seems to take longer. smile
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Apr 9, '11 2:34pm PST 
Whoops I meant Milkyway! Sorry, MOL. Always making typos. wink
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Apr 9, '11 5:35pm PST 
I am back and I think I remember the vet saying that the first 48 hours are the most critical since that is when the leakages can happen, I don't think she told me when the bladder would be healed internally, but something it telling me I read somewhere that it takes 4 days? All I know is that I was really scared for the first week, but once I saw Macy turn into a big kitten again after I don't know how long, I know it was worth doing the surgery.
[notify]

Milkyway

Purred: Thu Jul 7, '11 9:28pm PST 
thank you Macy, that was what I was really concerned about--leakages, but now knowing they only occurring usually within 48 hours would have definitely given me a sigh of relief and thank you everyone else for the loads of help!

Sorry for SUCH a late response, even now your guys' help is still useful.

heh, I still get paranoid it's going to happen again- so I check her litter box often, even though she's on the special prescription diet (cats really can become crazy expensive. being a full time college student, it's hard to make sure I have enough money set aside for her food and emergency funds in case something like this DOES happen againshrug ) so my fingers are crossed.

but you guys were wonderful--thanks!
big hug kitty
[notify]