GO!

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE FELINE HYPERESTHESIA? HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOU TO BE DIAGNOSED?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

FOREST

PET ME PLEASE =)

Purred: Sun Jan 30, '11 7:11pm PST 
DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE FELINE HYPERESTHESIA? HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOU TO BE DIAGNOSED? ANY TRICKS DURING AN ATTACK?

Desert was Diagnosed in November with Feline Hyperesthesia. I searched for three years and asked multiple vets why my generally good natured lovable boy would have these episodes of aggression. I finally found a vet who was able to know what it was with just one symptom. within 2 weeks he was diagnosed and on Gabapentin. He is doing much better now but still has some episodes.

So did others have to look for three years to find an answer? What do you do when your little one goes into an "attack" to help decrease the intensity and shorten the duration.

Some things I do is cradle him like a baby - he loves that - and if it is really bad and I should not handel for fear of injury I whisle really high pitched and it seams to help. Advice would be wonderful.

thanks =)
[notify]

Rusty

let no food bowl- be empty

Purred: Tue Feb 1, '11 1:48am PST 
Hi;
Feline hyperathesia is a very rare condition that is only diagnosed by ruling everything else out. That is why it took so long to diagnose. There is no test for it or anything like that. They just have to go down a laundry list of diagnostics and when it is nothing else then they figure it as feline hyperathesia.

So, I would imagine they have done all the allergy testing etc. The only thing I can offer is to leave Forest alone when the attacks happen as sometimes they can accidently bite pretty hard. I have only known one other cat with this condition.

Good luck.
[notify]

Martini

Purred: Tue Feb 1, '11 8:58am PST 
My kitty was just diagnosed at 12. None of the vets we went to knew what it was. I will be starting her on transdermal Prozac this week so we'll see how it goes.
She has had it most of her life but it's getting really bad now with the episodes ending with her peeing somewhere in the house.

Best wishes.
[notify]

FOREST

PET ME PLEASE =)

Purred: Fri Feb 11, '11 8:17pm PST 
Martini,

So sorry o hear that you had to wait so long for a diagnosis.

I only seem to have been diagnosed because I started at a new vet and they knew of the condition. After I expained that there were agression issues the first response was feliway but this time the vet lisened when I told her that it wasn't normal aression and with one example of what I ment she knew immediatly.

I have been on the meds now for 3.5 months and my "episodes" have gotten much better.

I can't imagine what it was like for your family to have to wait sooo long.

I have been applying some behaviour modification also (as recomended byt the vet) when I see the "episodes" start. I rub his front paws or tap his nose lightly. This seams to help distract him long enough for what ever is going on in side his brain to pass, but it doesn't always work.

The hardest part for me is keeping a schedual since my life is quite unpredictable. But i'm working really hard at it and i noticed that when i stick some what to a routine this helps also.

I hope some of these tips help you too.

All the best.
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Feb 12, '11 3:19pm PST 
Hi, my Chiquitita was first diagnosed with this syndrome in December. In her case the hyperesthesia was a secondary condition she developed after a cuterebra infection (a very rare parasite that entered her brain through her retina and caused brain damage). We were fortunate because her vet is an ophthalmologist who saw the holes in her retinas; knowing there was most likely brain damage he contacted an neurologist. When her symptoms continued to manifest after the parasite was dead the hyperesthesia was diagnosed as being a result of the brain damage. Her episodes always ended in seizures, and sometimes simply touching her would trigger a seizure. She had been on one anti-seizure medication and the symptoms improved for a time, and then would return. We have since started her on a new medication that is for both the seizures and the pain; so far she is MUCH improved. We wish you all the best, I know how hard it is to watch the episodes and how helpless they make you feel.
[notify]

Daisy

Purred: Fri Dec 13, '13 5:50pm PST 
This is a late response but my hope is that someone doing a search will see it! My kitty has it too. It also took a long time to diagnose. He is on Prozac but I have a new vet (way better they are cats only and have several hyperethesia patients) and he has just started on gabapentin (neurontin) to control the "seizures". I hope it works! It makes him sleepy I have noticed and I don't like that. I also use Feliway plug-ins around the house and if you want to do that buy them on EntirelyPets dot com, they are WAY cheaper there. My cat has been dealing with this for 6 years now and I have come to accept that there isn't a cure or at least won't be one in his lifetime. At least there are additional meds to use now. The Prozac kinda kept it at bay but he still had occasional seizures and recen;ty developed arthritis--the pain I believe was setting off more seizures. The gabapentin controls pain as well as his muscle spasm, I am told. At this point I am continuing the Prozac as well but we may taper him off that.

I would just like to encourage anyone dealing with this to keep on top of check-ups for your kitty as they age. I had no idea he was suffering from arthritis and it was only because of a urinary blockage that he had an x-ray done and we saw it. Any kind of stress in their lives--especially pain--would trigger more hyperesthesia seizures. Something to think about. I hope this helps someone out there.

-C.
[notify]