GO!

How Much Does Laser Declawing Cost?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Simon

Simon the Loner

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 7:17am PST 
Simon has been shredding my furniture, and it is driving me crazy! I've heard that laser declawing is a lot quicker than regular old fashioned declawing. I'm sure it will cost more than a regular declaw. Does anybody know how much I would pay for a laser declaw on Simon? I wouldn't be willing to pay anymore than $500 though. I don't know if my vet offers laser declawing though. But, I'm sure that I could find a vet that does it and it would be a lot less painful to Simon.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 7:43am PST 
Hi Simon! wave

I know you just joined today, and you don't know, but putting up a post on getting your cat declawed, is going to turn into a war, just as the subject of slaughter on the horse board, turns into a fistfight, people get down right nasty. shock

I highly suggest, you look at what is all that involved, when declawing a cat, just type into your search engine, it is just like removing your fingers up to the first joint, it is extremly painful to the cat, and can lead to behavioral problems. There are other ways around this.

I don't want you to get jumped on, your first day, and also get the wrong impression of us, this is a great group of people, very knowledgeable, caring and supportive, but declawing, is a real hot topic.

If you really want to know what it costs, call your vet and ask him/her. I know there is a small window, were you can "edit" your post, it hasn't been on here that long, you might want to consider doing that. Or if its been too long, click on "notify" and ask HQ to remove the post, which is going to happen anyhow, mol, if this subject gets going, mol. laugh out loud

Welcome to the board, I don;t want your first day on here, to be a bad one. way to go

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

p.s. put up a post, asking how to teach your cat not to claw, you will get a plethera of helpful ideas and suggestion and alot of support. Try and get rid of this post. big grin
[notify]

Simon

Simon the Loner

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 7:49am PST 
Thank you Bumpurr. I didn't realize it was cruel to declaw a cat. I don't want to hurt Simon in any way. I just didn't know. He is the only cat of mine that claws my furniture.
[notify]

Tissue

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 8:05am PST 
Do you have any cat trees around or a couple of scratching posts? One thing you can do is get a few scratching posts, put it next to the places he likes to scratch (like if he has a favorite chair or something) rub that thing with catnip and redirect him to scratching post when he goes for the couch or w/e. He'll learn the scratching posts are his place to scratch.

Scratching is a natural feline behavior but to save our furniture and sometimes even our walls, skin, clothes we need to give places for our kitties to scratch thats all their own. You can buy some scratching posts from the store which can get expensive or make your own. Some sisal rope and wood and you're in business.

If you already have scratching posts and its not working, maybe he needs another type of scratching post. Like maybe all of yours are vertical and sisal, and he's the weirdo who wants cardboard and horizontal.

And if you're desperate it might be time for the spray bottle. When he goes for the furniture spray him with water and say no scratching (or something consistent. Make sure he associates the water in his face with scratching the furniture and not you. Redirect his attention to the scratching post.

Bumpurr knows a lot more about training cats if you're interested in taking this route, her boys are show cats and need to be trained.

Good luck with whatever route you choose and all I can say is please use declawing as the absolute absolute last resort.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 8:15am PST 
I figured ya didn't know, mol, and hated to see you get jumped on, your first day, mol. big grin

Here is a real good site, for information and to learn stuff. big grin

http://www.peteducation.com/index.cfm?c=1

Here is a site, how to teach your cat, and the others will have good ideas and suggestions too. Can you clip his claws? If you don't know how, ask your vet to show you, its really not hard, mine were taught all this as 8 week old kittens. Do you have a scratching post for him? The sisel rope one is the best. I taught mine by rubbing cat nip on it. big grin

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?d=156&articleid= 666

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 8:42am PST 
Good job Bump! Yes, declawing is extremely cruel for many reasons. First of all, if the kitty gets loose outside, how would it possibly defend itself? They can get infections in their toes, on and on. I'm very glad you're willing to learn about it, not everybody knows what it entails and why it's cruel to do it. As Tissue said, there are many other ways to deter clawing the furniture. A cat tree with sisal roping on it is a VERY good way to deter that on the furniture. If you look at my profile and either look at my Catster Plus photo book or my videos, you'll see our tree is nice and big but has lots and lots of sisal on it to scratch. And that's what me and Lacey do! Welcome to Catster and don't hesitate to ask any of us if you need anymore help! way to go
[notify]

Clara

Table Tabby

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 9:29am PST 
Declawing is terribly cruel. I would never declaw my cats. They cannot defend themselves at all. I feel terrible for cats that have been declawed. It often causes terrible bone problems and chronic pain later in life.
[notify]

Luke

The Silly Guy

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 11:16am PST 
Hi Simon and welcome to Catster wave

We have cat furniture and scratching posts in almost every room of our house. Kitties need to scratch, it is purrfectly natural. You can get inexpensive cardboard scratchers as well as some nicer sisal ones. Try different surfaces that are vertical and horizontal to see which ones you prefer. We like the taller ones so we can reach up and scratch to our hearts content.

We have four kitties in our house and Mom has never had much of a problem with us scratching things we're not supposed to ~ best of luck!
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 12:13pm PST 
I have had allot of luck with the cheap cardboard pads and my guys. Just sprinkle them with some dry catnip and place them in the areas where he usually goes to scratch. They still claw once and awhile on the couches, but if I am near when they are doing it I gently push their paws back and tell them no.

Now that I think about it I have an old wicker hamper that they like to claw on, so that might be another option if you see some old ones at yard sales or dollar stores. I really don't care that they are destroying it and it saves my cloth furniture.
[notify]

Blaze- (Striped- Seven)

TICA MS. (HHP- Champion)

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 12:18pm PST 
One thing I have found helps a lot to keep cats from clawing things is to keep their nails well trimmed, in addition to having lots of toys and things that it is ok for them to scratch.
way to go
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3