GO!

Excessive Dark Ear Wax

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mercedes

Chatterbug- Galore!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 4:53am PST 
I took Cedes to the Vet today as she has been having eye discharge and scratching her ears a lot, I cleaned her ears and boy were they nasty, dirty, dark wax. The Vet thinks she has allergies. So tonight my hubby was petting/massaging Tiggers ears and she tried to bite him (not usual) so I cleaned/checked her ears and there is a lot of the same blackish wax in there. Munchie & DeeJay have a lot of wax but it's not the blackish stuff. There is no evidence of Ear Mites in any of them. Any clues as to whats causing this? They eat a canned food diet, mostly grain free, but sometimes I have to feed cheaper Fancy Feast. I told my hubby this is the cats way of telling me they want to go raw....as Cedes is now on a Limited Ingredient Diet at $1.50 per small can frown
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 5:26am PST 
Ehh, I don't buy the vet thinking it's allergies. Our vet has been trying to convince us that our two young cats and dog spontaneously developed allergies at the same time...right! Since all four kitties have some sort of ear funk going on I'd lean towards it being something in your yard or home that's causing this. It seems vets are really pushing the allergy diagnosis lately. Sometimes cats ears just get dirty too, is your home dusty, or do they hang out somewhere that could be dusty or dirty? Either way dirty ears are very easy to clean and fix at home. Get some Epi-otic ear cleaner from the vet, or a similar product at Petco/Petsmart/etc. You just squeeze some into the ear, massage, then wipe out with a cotton ball. Next get some Q-tips and clean out the lower part of the ear. Pets ears are not shaped like humans, so you do not risk hitting the ear drum with this, but be gentle too. wink I would say do this with each cat everyday until they're consistently looking clean.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 5:53am PST 
I'm going to respectfully disagree with Hobie. Ear problems and allergies often go hand in hand. I have severe allergies and almost always have ear gunk. Sometimes it's a bacterial infection, sometimes it's a yeast infection. They are notoriously hard to clear in an allergy kitty. In any event, whether your kitty has allergies or not, you should work with your vet on getting the ears cleared up. The vet should be able to look at the gunk with a microscope and tell you what kind of infection you're dealing with. Then they should prescribe an antibiotic ear drop and an ear wash liquid. Be very careful cleaning the ears, but Hobie's technique is perfect if you're comfortable doing it. If you have a cat that doesn't take to it well, you may only be able to do the cotton ball part and leave the Q-tip to the vet. Good luck!
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 8:35am PST 
BK is right. Ask your vet to take a sample of the ear gunk and "slide" it. That means they stick it under a microscope, as BK said, and determine if it is ear mites or a yeast infection, and this is the only way, to tell, for sure, what it might be. You have to find out what it is, not just assume, and then treat it. big grin

The fact that your vet, did not do this first, tells me, you need to find another vet. I went thru this with Prowler. Judges kept telling me, his ears are dirty. Took him to my vet at that time, and he said no they are not, cleaned them out, next show, judges telling me his ears are dirty. OK, something is way wrong with this picture.

Asked a lady at work, who she uses, she took Prowlers brother, and is as overly pickey as I am. Took him in, the first thing they did was "slide" him. He had ear mites, treated him for it, never had a spec of trouble since then.

Cowboy had the same issue, they slided him, he had a yeast infection, which she said was caused by getting water in his ears when he got a bath. Never knew that, learned something new, now I have to be extremly careful with him, when he gets a bath.

It could be allergies, but they have to rule out other stuff first, ya can't just treat, or assume, without knowing what your treating for. Can make the situation worse, or delay the correct treatment.

Best of luck.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 9:20am PST 
Mercedes, if I were you, I'd start keeping a journal on the symtoms - try to note if the waxy ears coincide with you feeding the Fancy Feast. Try to see if you notice any patterns. Also, is the Fancy Feast you are using one of the gluten-free ones on Alex's site? If not, you might want to try some of those for the times when money is tighter.
[notify]

Clara

Table Tabby

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 9:27am PST 
Keeping a log of symptoms is a really good idea. You will be able to track which symptoms coincide with which food. Make sure to mark down what you fed on that day. After a while you should be able to see a definate pattern. You can then make a decision on wether or not to change a diet or what else can be done to remedy the situation.
[notify]

Mercedes

Chatterbug- Galore!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 9:36am PST 
The Vet (also my dad) did a slide of Cedes ear junk and no sign of infection, which is why he suspected allergies especially with the eye junk (he did a slide on as well and no infection). I went through nasty allergies with Little Foot, his were so bad we had to have ear canal ablation surgery on him, as it was the ONLY thing that helped.

Edited by author Sun Nov 28, '10 9:37am PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 9:51am PST 
Ya never said he was slided, in your first post, mol. laugh out loud

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 1:10pm PST 
Mercedes, I didn't realize you were the same family as Zoey, Ziva, etc. (Hi, it's Tucker and Phoebe's mom.) So in that case, why not switch to raw? Certainly you are well-versed in it already, and it's basically the same for cats - except that the transition can be difficult if your cats are stubborn.
[notify]

Mercedes

Chatterbug- Galore!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 5:38pm PST 
Sorry, I didn't put that I he did cytology on her ears, I had a really bad day yesterday and was a little frustrated & out of it. I TOTALLY want to switch to raw, but hubby has drug his feet on the cats as his philosophy is "If the dogs get sick & die, it's not as big of a deal as if the cats do as he's more attached to the cats" Ha Ha! What a stink bug. 4 of my cats (Cedes, Munchie, DeeJay & Tigger) all LOVE raw as I give them tidbits here and there, so far there is NOTHING they have refused, not even liver, so I don't think the transition will be hard for them. Mini Dee won't/can't eat canned food due to her CH (Cerebral Hypoplasia) so I feed her grain free dry (Wellness Core, Blue Wilderness, Before Grain etc). But the rest of them are little piggies and will eat basically anything put in front of them. Having to spend $10 a week on Cedes special canned food is helping my hubby make the decision though....ha ha.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2