GO!

Settle a cat's stomach?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 3:53pm PST 
It's Stella. All of a sudden I have the vomits, and am retching all over the place. I have emptied my stomach but still can't stop. Is there anything my person can give me to calm my stomach down? If it were a person we would give pepto-bismol, for instance. We have no access to emergency veterinary care now--the nearest places are 120 miles away. She just wants something to make me feel better until tomorrow when I could go to the vet. We don't know what this is, but it is not poisoning or anything like that. I have food allergies and my male person gave me some cheap cat food earlier today. I love it and beg for it but it is bad for me sometimes. Yurps and burps!
[notify]

Miranda

I\'m so pretty!- Oh so pretty!!

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 4:08pm PST 
when I vomit a lot I take 1/4 tablet of pepcid, don't ever give pepto to a cat!
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 4:23pm PST 
Absolutly, do not do this, unless you check with a vet first, call the er vet and ask them. And only telling you this, because I know who Delyte is.

You can give 1/4 tablet of Pepcid AC, 10 mgs, BUT, and this is imperative, it CANNOT be the extra strength one, your give 1/4 tablet every 24 hrs, but again, only on a vets advice. Cannot stress this enough.

This is what was given to Bump, when he threw up, and kept throwing up, when I gave him some milkey, which I got yelled at for, mol, and this is what my vet told me to give to Cowboy, when he was sick at a show, becuse, I gave him too much baby foody treatys, got yelled at for that one too, mol. But, each time, I called her first, even tho I have it with me, and know when to give it.

Calling her first, was drummed into me, when at one show, Prowler was sick, a show person who I knew very well, gave him Centrine, made him all better. She told me on Mon, you are very lucky, that was not Bump, it would have killed him, after that, she gave me her cell for emergencies at shows. Centrine will kill a cat with a heart issue.

Once she stops throwing up, and her tummy settles, do not, do not give her any food, for a few hours, you have to let her tummy settle. Then you can give her a FEW licks of baby food, Beechnut stage 1, chicken or turkey only. No food for 12 hours, then start with 1/4 ration, next feeding, do 1/2 ration. Mix the baby food with a little water, so she is getting fluids, and she is not dehydrated, then mix her wet with water.

Best of luck, remember, call the vet first and ask them, and the others might have even better suggestions.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 4:37pm PST 
It's Stella. Can you give a small piece of Tums regular? We can go and get some Pepcid. She has stopped retching and ate a small piece of plain cooked chicken. We cannot call the ER vet--they do not know any of the cats' records and will only treat you if you come in and pay for the visit.

She is eyeing some of the plants so she might do the traditional cat thing. There's no plants here that are poisonous.

Thanks!
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 6:08pm PST 
I don't know the ans to that, about Tums. I myself, would not, you are taking a huge chance.

I know what my vet tells me to do, but like you said, my vet knows my cats. I was able to tell her, why, Bump was throwing up, and she knows the Cowboy and Cruiser have very sensative little systems, and Cowboy even more. He threw up the beef FF, when I was out of chicken FF, I called her on that too. In that case, because he only threw up once, she told me not to give it. Said to do, what I told you at the bottom, same thing with the Bump, told me to go to the store and get some baby food, that one I remember because it was a holiday, and the traffic was horrible, mol.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 8:37pm PST 
It's Stella. We bought the Pepcid, but she is not throwing up now. Seems a bit subdued, but calm. We can call her vet tomorrow, but of course they will say bring her in, and I can't because I can't drive any longer and our male person is at dialysis all day. Sometimes things just pile up all at once! Thanks for all of the help, everyone!
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Sat Oct 2, '10 9:38am PST 
It's Stella. I was sick again yesterday morning after I ate, so they took me to the vet. Of course as soon as they made the appointment, I stopped retching--we cats are so sneaky that way! The vet couldn't find anything by squeezing me and I didn't have a temp. She thinks it is maybe hairball problems since I won't take hairball remedy or anything like it, and I have my medium length fluffy fur. They gave me a big wad of it, and a shot of the pepcid medicine. Today my person is to try and give me a pepcid pill piece and more hairball meds. Lots of luck with that! laugh out loud They also trimmed two big mats out of my back fur with a buzzer, and trimmed all my claws. How humiliating! And they told her that she needs to brush me even though I don't like it. What kind of world is this for kitties when we don't get what we want?! shock
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Sat Oct 2, '10 12:14pm PST 
Hi Stella! Your momma should use a furminator on you and maybe get a different brush that's not so harsh on your skin. But the furminator works really great to take out the undercoat and all of that clumpy stuff. Plus after she uses it on you, you are super floofy, soft and shiny! Just don't overdo it because you'll go bald. laugh out loud
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Wed Oct 6, '10 11:36am PST 
oh Stella the furminator is awesome! I love to be brushed with it. Mom says that it gets enough fur out that she can croshet a sweater! The Dad goes real slow & easy. Even Tigger likes it on his neck, and he hates the other brushie.
[notify]