GO!

Seeking Advice: Ruptured Anal Gland or Abscess ?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Fluffster

Purred: Mon Sep 6, '10 12:54am PST 
Hello Catster Members,

I would like to seek out some advice before I seek any further action at a vet for fear of being told that my cat needs surgery... so...

Recently, Ive noticed that my decade old male (named Fluffster for his wonderfully fluffy fur coat) cat has recently received a wound near the anus, about the width of a pencil over the weekend. I did a bit of research, and it looks like it could be abscess, but it does not seem like it, and am leaning more towards a ruptured anal gland. Prior to this, I did not see any of the telltale signs (swelling or fever) There is no indication of pus (that I can detect), but a small change in behavior, as he eats a little less the past day or two. I give him the same belly rubs, and pampering with no complaint. He is an indoor cat, and we never let him out.

Fluffster has been the same since receiving the wound, and appears to be bleeding just a bit, still see him eat and stalk the house like normal, (have not seen any blood stains anywhere or anything yet) but he does spend a fair amount of time cleaning the wound.

I have read that applying some Neosporin (or another topical wound cream) does help but unfortunately, I do not have any Neosporin or anything like that in my house (which I will be picking up on Tuesday, as stores are closed Labour Day), and I would like to know how I would apply that, as I suspect that Fluffers will be licking away after I apply it, and I cannot see that being good for him.

All and all... I would like to know what kind of steps I can take to make sure that Fluffers is in the best health he can be.

Thank you.
[notify]

Xena

The Warrior- Princess

Purred: Mon Sep 6, '10 9:45pm PST 
Don't put neosporin or other human meds on it as they can make cats sick. It does sound like he has an abscess and could be from his anal gland. That is also a prime place for getting an abscess from a cat bite while running away but since he is inside only and an only cat that is unlikely. Because he is licking at the wound that will remove any pus so you wouln't see anything. You nerd to get him to a vet asap as with any kind of abscess there is usually more underneath the skin than you can see and they can get bad pretty quickly if untreated. Your vet will shave his fur, confirm what is going on and start him on antibiotics. Depending on what it is he may not need surgery and getting him in quicky will give him the best chance of avoiding surgery.
[notify]

Xena

The Warrior- Princess

Purred: Mon Sep 6, '10 9:45pm PST 
Don't put neosporin or other human meds on it as they can make cats sick. It does sound like he has an abscess and could be from his anal gland. That is also a prime place for getting an abscess from a cat bite while running away but since he is inside only and an only cat that is unlikely. Because he is licking at the wound that will remove any pus so you wouln't see anything. You nerd to get him to a vet asap as with any kind of abscess there is usually more underneath the skin than you can see and they can get bad pretty quickly if untreated. Your vet will shave his fur, confirm what is going on and start him on antibiotics. Depending on what it is he may not need surgery and getting him in quicky will give him the best chance of avoiding surgery.
[notify]

Fluffster

Purred: Tue Sep 7, '10 4:21am PST 
Thank you for your response Xena.

I've been keeping a close on him for any changes in behavior, but I have yet to see any in him. He DOES seem to be preoccupied into wanting to lick (or clean) the wound a lot lately, and I've been attempting to deter him from that by trying to distract him into doing something else... which is working a bit. Can't seem to tell if the wound is closing or not, but I do see fresh caked on blood near the wound when I check.

We are taking him to the vet today and hopefully, this will not require any kind of surgery and just antibiotics and some cleaning. I hope the vet bill isn't too expensive.

Again, thank you for your response Xena, as it confirms what I had thought initially.
[notify]

Xena

The Warrior- Princess

Purred: Tue Sep 7, '10 6:35pm PST 
Hopefully your vet visit went well today and it wasn't too expensive.

Xena got in a scuffle with a neighbours cat but I only realised she'd been bitten a few days later when she licked at it so much she created a bald spot. When I took a closer look she had 2 nasty holes in her side about an inch apart that must have been caused by the other cats fangs. The vet shaved her fur, cleaned up the wound and got all the pus out and gave her antibiotics. Luckily she healed up nicely and her fur grew back.
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Thu Sep 9, '10 12:10am PST 
According to "Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook"

pg.204
Anal Sac Infection (Anal Sacculitis)
This condition complicats impaction. Signs are the presences of bloob or pus in the secretions,swelling on one or both sides of the anus,& the presence of anal pain & scooting.These signs also occur with anal sac abscess.
Treatment:The anal sacs should be expressed & emptied weekly,after which an antibiotic is put into the sac through the opening.This procedure is difficult & should be preformed by a vet. You can help to resolve infection by applying warm wet packs to the anal area for 15 mins. 3x a day for seven to ten days.An antibiotic(amoxicillin) might be prescribed by your vet. Cats with recurrent anal gland infections should have them removed.
pg.205
Anal Sac Abscess
An abscess is recognized by the signs of infection & swelling at the site of the gland. The swelling is at first red then turns a deep purple
Treatment:An abscess is ready to drain when it becomes soft & fluid-like. At this point it should be lanced (by your vet)so the pus & blood will drain out.The abscess cavity must heal from the bottom up. Keep the edges apart by flushing the cavity twice a day with a topical antiseptic such as dilute (tea colored) Betadine solution for 10 to 14 days, and apply warm packs ,see above. An oral antibiotic is administered (amoxicillin). Culture and antibiotic sensitivity tests may be warranted.
***Now in my opinion, you should see you vet as soon as possible.***
Good luck and pleas keep us advised as to what you do and how things are going.
[notify]

Fluffster

Purred: Thu Sep 9, '10 9:46pm PST 
Thank you very much for your helpful responses.

I've taken Fluffster to the vet and the vet didn't seem too concerned with him, since Fluff didn't feel like staying still and actually bounced around the walls while in the room and looked like he was healing up a little, but we wanted to make sure he's well kept.

He's been given 2 shots, a painkiller and antibiotics and seems to be healing fine. Doesn't seem to be picking at the wound anymore and now seems more concerned about what's for dinner and who's going to be his next bed for the night. I'm very relieved to see that he's back to his regular self (much less lethargic than the past few days).

Thank you all again for the great responses here.
[notify]

Xena

The Warrior- Princess

Purred: Fri Sep 10, '10 1:57am PST 
That's good news. I'm glad it went well and he's feeling better.
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Fri Sep 10, '10 7:38pm PST 
Excellent news! Is always best to be checked out by your vet.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted if you have any more problems.
hamster dance
[notify]

Smelly

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 9:25pm PST 
I just want to share my story with people out there. I had never heard of anal gland problems with cats. So it is nice to see others have experienced it too and have healed nicely. Earlier this week I noticed that Smelly wasn't his usual active self. He crawled up in my arms and just laid there lethargically while I petted him. I gave him his daily can of wet food, but he didn't seem interested. When I got up the next day and saw the previous days meal still there, I knew something wasn't right. He was moving so slowly. I thought that maybe he injured a paw, and so I inspected all his limbs thoroughly. nothing seemed wrong. At this point, I was carrying him up and down the stairs because it just seemed to difficult for him to do on his own. Then yesterday morning, I went to pick him up and he let out a painful meow as he squirmed. Then all of a sudden this disgustingly foul smell infiltrated my nose and made me gag. I thought he had crapped on me, and I let him go. I had what I thought was diarrhea all over my shirt and was gagging and retching all while yelling at smelly and trying not to throw up on myself! Great way to start your day btw! So I go and change my clothes and go to the bathroom and Smelly is now sitting on the edge of the sink and I notice a bloody discharge coming from near his butt hole. I totally freak out and start panicking and immediately call me vet. He can be at my house between 3 and 5 that day. In the meantime he tells me that it was the anal glands and I started researching it on line and concurred with his assessment. So in the 4 hours it took between the phone call I made to the vet and then him getting here, smelly almost seemed back to his normal self. He was talking to me again and moving a little faster and finally eating. So when the vet got here, he confirmed that the anal gland had ruptured and explained to me how it occurs and checked it out. He gave smelly a antibiotic shot and told me that Smelly would take care of the rest of it by cleaning it. He said hopefully it would never occur again but in the rare chance it became recurring I could consider having both glands surgically removed, but he did warn that it was a pretty serious surgery to be considered as a last resort. In addition to that, that quote he gave for the procedure was $1700!! So 24 hours later, as the vet stated, Smelly is cleaning it and it is starting to heal already. I was thinking that maybe putting some neosporin on it would help the healing, but I fear Smelly would just lick it off and get sick from it. So if anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2