GO!

spring water, purified water, distilled water, lions & tigers & bears, oh my!!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 6:00am PST 
I know tap water has too many minerals in it, so you avoid that for a crystal cat. So I use spring water, thought that was safe. Now one of my cat show friends tells me, that spring water has minerals in it too.
And I should use distilled water, which I swear, my vet said not, to give them. shrug

So looked in the water section, they have spring water, purified drinking water, and distilled water. This is the store brand gallons.

So what is the difference between all of them, and what exactly is distilled water. Thanks! wavewavewavewavewavewavewavewave
[notify]

Shadrach

FEED ME!

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 6:28am PST 
WOW! How confusing! Mom and dad have a PUR water filter on our kitchen faucet and that is the only water I get. Mom says she will certainly watch this thread to find out if this is the best for me.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 7:07am PST 
I know some are going to tell me to use the Brita thingy, but that is like $40 and right now, not an option, plus now I wonder about that too. shrug

And....... if spring water has minerals in it, and all the bottled water in the store, is spring water, how is that really any different, than tap water? thinking
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 7:52am PST 
Hi Bumpurr, if you go to this page of my website: http://ibdkitties.net/Toxicfoods.html, scroll down to where it says water, there is a lengthy explanation of all this stuff and what's in tap water. I myself use an over the counter filter that I get from a company online. That's the only thing we drink for water in this house, upstairs and downstairs. You hook it up to your faucet and it comes with a rechangable cartridge which is very inexpensive. We get the cartridge that works for taking out bacteria and giardia and stuff as well as chlorine, lead, arsenic, etc. It's not perfect but it's very good and we know it works because both me and my mother have stomach problems that get WAY worse when the cartridge needs changing. It's much more efficient and less expensive than those Britta things but what my mom does is she has the filter on the sink faucet plus she has a Britta in the fridge also, so that's DOUBLE the filtering. If you like, let me know and I can give you the link and the kind of filter that we bought.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 9:49am PST 
Thanks Alex! I don't have the ability to order stuff on line right now, so any other options other than the Brita, and Shanagan's mommy uses a Purr something. big grin

Had to go to the drug store this morn, so did more recon. Some brands said they are purified drinking water, and that they had been purified like 7 times with some something with 7 in it. Other brands just said spring water. big grin

Being that I have a crystal cat, who been thru this twice, before I did the reseach and changed everything, I don't need to go thru it again, or the other ones to get it, so gotta get to the bottom of this. way to go
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 11:40am PST 
The only way to get water without minerals in it is to get the distilled water, which has gone through reverse osmosis and is almost exclusively H2O. Spring water still has minerals in it, the difference is the lack of chlorine, chloramine and other chemicals added by a water treatment facility.

Had a blackwater fish tank once and had to use a mixture of spring and distilled water for it. Because of the lack of ANY minerals at all, fish can't live in pure distilled water, but the spring water had a PH that was too high, and the distilled water lowered it. Maybe you could cut the distilled water with some spring water so that there are still SOME minerals in what he is drinking, but not a lot of them?
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 1:52pm PST 
We use Wally world's Spring water for our tea, cooking and the cat's water. We get severely laughed at any time we go to the vet or to the pet hotel because we bring a gallon of our water with us and tell them they MUST give only our water. Too many times has even other "filtered" water been given during a day stay at the vets and we've had upset kitty tummys for it. BUT if spring water is no-good then we definatlywant to know and we will do a carefully planned switch to the other stuff. We really cant afford the extra filters right now (doing 1 meal of wet food of any kind is even a stretch but Im not giving up on that one!) So if its determined that distilled is better I guess we can get that and start mixing it with the spring water. Please keep us posted!

~Annabelle's meowmie
[notify]

TIA SYDIBIL

STILL WATERS RUN- DEEP

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 2:23pm PST 
Our icemaker on the fridge has a filter and I've been thinking of using that water to put through the Brita filter that I use for all the cats' drinking water. That would give me double filtering.smilesmile
[notify]

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 2:44pm PST 
We have been using the PUR water filter pitcher for 10 years for drinking and cooking and for Hazel. Distilled water is NOT recommended for animals. You need some minerals in your water, however, if you are concerned about mineral levels, you can have your tap water tested for minerals like calcium, etc., and even tested for pesticides.

Hazel Lucy
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 6:18pm PST 
I use a Brita filter; switched to it about 8 months ago after reading about kitties with urinary problems, possibly from tap water. The good news it, Brita filters are actually pretty cheap! I paid about $15 dollars for the pitcher and filter. It was a small one (5 cups) but I loved it so much I ended up buying a bigger one for $25 dollars (Wal-Mart and Target both have good prices and selections of sizes). The filter needs to be replaced every 3 months or so and they are about $6 dollars.

Luckily, my animals haven't had urinary issues (I'm knocking on wood right now) and I don't really know if the Brita filters are good at filtering out all the bad stuff but I really do love the Brita pitcher and filter.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4