GO!

Please do whatever you can to keep your cat's teeth healthy.......

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Lillian

I get cuddles- 'on tap'......

Purred: Thu Jul 22, '10 9:23am PST 
I have just brought Lillie back from the vets.....she had FIVE teeth out......and they had to stitch one of the holes......poor little soul is trying to eat (I am giving her pate food mixed with water)...indeed, she is desperate to eat, but it all gets stuck under her chin........

Poor little soul looks totally gobsmacked......I feel so guilty.....

WHAT I REALLY WANT TO SAY is look after your cat's teeth.....I am not even sure what one is supposed to do to look after cats' teeth.....(any ideas?)....

But PLEASE don't (if you can help it)let them get in the state Lillie's teeth were in......

Jan
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Thu Jul 22, '10 11:58am PST 
Hi Lillie,

I am so sorry about your baby's teeth getting pulled. Bonnie had 4 teeth pulled at 2 years old, and I remember thinking that if dry food was cleaning her teeth, I could only imagine how bad her teeth would be if I wasn't feeding dry. Fast forward a few years and I learned that the "dry food cleans teeth" thing was a myth, and can actually make it worse. Ever bite into bread and it got stuck to the roof of your mouth, and you practically need a crowbar to remove it? Dry food sticks to their teeth and becomes a breeding ground for bacteria, which leads to dental problems.

So some suggestions: if you're feeding any dry, please stop. Dry food is inappropriate for cats for several reasons (www.catinfo.org is a great site for this information). If you can feed raw, esp. raw meaty bones (NOT cooked), that's the best, since chewing on the bones helps clean their teeth. Feeding raw chicken or turkey gizzards, which are pretty tough, also help clean the teeth, and they love it! happy dance You can usually find chicken hearts and gizzards in the supermarket and they're cheap.

You can also brush their teeth (if they'll let you) laugh out loud, and I'm sure the other catsters will have some great suggestions on what products work well. I used to add a dental rinse to my cats' water fountain, but also started brushing their teeth so I don't know how well the rinse worked.

I hope this helps a little, and feel better soon! hug
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jul 22, '10 5:06pm PST 
Dental care is similar to that of Humans: regular checks of the teeth (your regular vet can do this), regular cleanings as needed, and at home care.

Regular toothbrushing (daily is ideal) with pet toothpate is best but may not work for everyone. Video of how to brush your cat's teeth

There are pet dental gels and oral rinses and such that you can use. They're not as effective as toothbrushing but any care is better than nothing at all.

Feeding raw poultry necks or gizzards supposedly helps keep the teeth clean. I've never tried this.

Dental treats and hard food don't work well. Most cats just swallow the pieces whole instead of crunching the pieces apart.
[notify]

Lottie

dont need no- pedigree to be- posh

Purred: Sat Jul 24, '10 4:32pm PST 
coudnt agree more!
people often will not know there are any major problems till their cats breath becomes extra pongy,stop eating, or they start acting different as well in reaction to the pain.
biscuit had quite a few out this year,and she isnt an old cat,or a dry/biscuit fan despite her name.

there is special cat mouth wash that can be added to their water,but have never tried this,did try looking for this 'over the counter' in vetinary surgeries but coudnt find it anywhere without lottie having to be brought in.
sam used to have logic oral gel [think thats what it was called-a kitty tooth paste the vet had prescribed] on her teeth,but she was to clever to just lick up a random blob of it and it looked like...well,something watery and brown.
[notify]