GO!

a "stud tail" remedy that actually works!!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Odin

Obey Odin!

Purred: Tue Jun 29, '10 12:02pm PST 
I've had a greasy tail for a couple months now, and my mommy thought it was just due to the flea medication she put on me. BUT, it turns out I have "stud tail" (because I am a very handsome/studly cat, obviously big grin).

So, my mommy has been trying out various things on my tail (which I will list at the bottom as "things that don't work"), and we finally found a remedy that actually works!! It's called "DHS Shampoo", and she got it at CVS. It's an anti-sebborhea zinc shampoo, and it worked after only ONE butt bath!! Make sure to have your mommy or daddy blow-dry you after the bath, too! That's important to dry your tail asap!

Hope this helps some of you other handsome kitties with stud tail!!

*Odin*

THINGS THAT DON'T WORK ON STUD TAIL:
-salicylic acid shampoos or scrubs (we tried Clean 'n Clear exfoliating scrub and all it did was get little blue exfoliating beads stuck in my fur...ew)
-coal tar shampoos
-aloe vera
[notify]

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Tue Jun 29, '10 2:53pm PST 
Mommy is a groomer so she uses Les Pooches F&T Shampoo on kitties for their baths and for stud tail, and it really works as well on the stud tail, thanks for the info will keep it in mind for future uses.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Tue Jun 29, '10 3:09pm PST 
um just wondering what is stud tail? I always like to learn! big grin
[notify]

Bear

I have a- fighting chance

Purred: Tue Jun 29, '10 5:12pm PST 
My bear has stud tail. It was bad and bloody. The vet shaved his tail and she told me to clean it twice or three times a day with the VET brand ear cleaner. I bought it at the vet for 8 dollars and she said it works and it has along with getting him fixed.

Stud tail is like feline acne that's on the chin.

As soon as I can find the bottle of the ear cleaner I'll let u know if it was that brand.
[notify]

Odin

Obey Odin!

Purred: Wed Jun 30, '10 10:25am PST 
Stud tail is actually sebborhea of a kitties tail. It happens to cats that produce alot of testosterone (yes, female cats can get it too!). What happens is the top/sides of the tail get really greasy (and sometimes matted) and there are usually little blackheads too. If it gets bad enough, the area can get infected and all kinds of icky shock
[notify]

Freckles- (1993-2011)

My beautiful old- lady!

Purred: Wed Jun 30, '10 11:37pm PST 
I also had stud tail *blushes* but luckily it was much milder probably because I am a girl. My tail was just a little greasy on the top side near my tail.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Thu Jul 1, '10 2:11pm PST 
thanks for the info! I had not heard of it before & am always willing to learn.
[notify]

Chyna

Purred: Sat Jul 3, '10 7:22am PST 
I tried a couple of different shampoos for weeks to no avail and then one day I started combing kitty's tail with a steel 'toothcomb' (bought at the pet store) and amazingly, the stud tail finally cleared up!
[notify]