GO!

A cat that grinds its teeth?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Pekoe

Purred: Wed Dec 2, '09 10:44pm PST 
We recently adopted a cat from the SPCA, he is #3. When we got him, the day after he came home he came down with a full blown cold but after anti-biotics he got over it. Hes had a few minor health issues, he had a lesion on his back, upper eyelid and lips, but these all healed and his fur is growing in nicely. Im assuming they were part of his cold. His fur has begun to grow in, he has gained weight since coming home, not just fat but solid muscle, he has a healthy appetite and good energy.

Im concerned though, as he grinds his teeth. I dont know if this was related to perhaps an oral lesion from the cold, but the vet (yes she examined him) didnt find anything wrong inside his mouth (his teeth arent too bad) and suggested it was just a bad habit.

Now we just lost a cat to cardiomyopathy, so Im feeling very afraid to get close to this cat (hes my moms cat anyway)...the vet says hes ok but it worries me.

My question is, do any of you have perfectly healthy cats who grind their teeth due to anxiety or nerves or being neurotic?

I worried that it had something to do with cronic kidney failure. But he doesnt have any symptoms of that other then he does drink a lot. Mind you I have nothing to compare him with since I dont monitor the other cats drinking and Pekoe is a fairly big, dry food only cat. He'll drink maybe for 60 seconds and then stop and then maybe go back for another 30 second drink a few minutes later. He doesnt go through a lot of water though.

Could his grinding be a result of early CRF? (forgot to mention, the SPCA thought Pekoe is 4, the vet says hes probably quite a bit younger then that. Ive read that cats as young as 4 can get this)

What have you experienced with teeth grinding, if anything? Your experiences would be appreciated.

PS- Pekoe has another appointment in 2 weeks for more shots, so we may ask for a blood test.

Edited by author Wed Dec 2, '09 10:46pm PST

[notify]

Oscar-Teachi- ng Angels to- Love

With mom from- Oct '97 - Aug '09

Purred: Thu Dec 3, '09 7:07pm PST 
Oscar used to grind his teeth while eating. Is it only while eating? I've heard it is due to feeling nauseous.
[notify]

Chloe ~ Itty- Bitty Angel- Kitty

Itty bitty Chloe- kitty

Purred: Thu Dec 3, '09 8:47pm PST 
Has he had a proper oral exam? Problems with teeth, or the mouth in general (like TMJ) can cause that.
[notify]

Pekoe

Purred: Thu Dec 3, '09 10:16pm PST 
The vet looked in his mouth and said it looks healthy (other then mild need of cleaning) and said unless she did a cleaning under anesthesia she couldnt get a proper look. I dont understand why x-rays werent offered. An xray of his mouth would show if he had an tooth problem, wouldnt it? He always does it right around eating time but sometimes when he isnt. Im just worried its due to some pre-existing condition and if the vet did a simple blood test (to check the health of his organs for example) it might reveal it!

The vets estimate for cleaning is 500$ though, we cant afford that right now. We can save up for it but cant afford it right away.
[notify]

Oscar-Teachi- ng Angels to- Love

With mom from- Oct '97 - Aug '09

Purred: Thu Dec 3, '09 11:00pm PST 
Yes, get a full blood panel done. This will show if there are any liver problems or infections, anything that might cause pain when eating due to ulcers, or nausea. There's no vomiting, right?

I see you are in a cats with allergies group. What are you allergic to?
[notify]

Pekoe

Purred: Thu Dec 3, '09 11:07pm PST 
Im so angry there was no recommendation for a full blood panel. My parents asked for a test for FLV which was negative -great! But didnt bother getting anything else checked. Seems...SO simple a thing to ask. And now we'll have to get his blood drawn again!

We thought Pekoe might have allergies because he was having skin lesions but theyve cleared up with good diet.

No, Pekoe is not vomiting, and his stool has been normal as well.

I mean all indications would suggest hes healthy. Hes gained good weight since we adopted him. And not just fat, solid muscle. His coat is growing in where it was thin (from fleas). His appetite is healthy. No vomiting, no diarrhea, got over a cold, skin cleared up. Obviously he has an immune system.

Am I just being paranoid? Maybe the wound in my heart is still open from having just lost a cat.

(And then we have the task of getting these 3 cats to get along which has been tricky.)
[notify]