GO!

How long do cats with Wet FIP live and at what point do you PTS?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Nov 14, '12 3:46pm PST 
This is one of the most hateful and horrible diseases out there. I lost my Teddy practically 24 hours after his diagnoses. He had been getting sicker but by the time they figured out what it was we had already run out of time. I could just see in his eyes that he was uncomfortable and miserable. If I kept him here any longer it would have been selfish, so I let him go. It's such a hard decision but you'll know. Purrs for you and your family.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Nov 18, '12 3:35pm PST 
We have 2 Scottish Folds kittens, we picked them up at 8wks. I noticed 2 weeks ago Willow not being as active as Piper. I thought may be a difference in personality, Willow was still eating well and drinking water. Sunday 11/11/12 I notice Willow had very shallow breathing and her chest wasn't raising, it was more gut breathing. I took Willow to the Vet 11/12/12 she had a fever, the Vet didn't take an X-ray at first, I called later that day telling her there is a reason she does not have any lung capacity. After the X ray you could see all the fluid in her captivity and a collapsed lung. I brought up the possibility of FIP so they took blood to send to the Lab. I suggested tapping the chest, I worked for veterinaries all through high school and college in the 70's and sometimes it was very crude but effective. They got 50cc of fluid out of her chest. The Vet sent her home with Orbax (antimicrobial)and Prednisone. Willow's breathing is normal for now, she feels good enough to play with her sister. It's been 6 days and Willow doing good. The blood test came back POSITIVE for FIP. We will take it day by day. Going to call the Breeder !
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Nov 18, '12 4:28pm PST 
I was under the impression that there was no test for FIP. My vet was also able to get a fluid sample from the belly and said from her experience that she was guessing from the color and texture of it that it was FIP, but I didn't think there was an actual clinical test.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sun Nov 18, '12 11:50pm PST 
There isnt a reliable FIP test OR vaccine. FIP is a mutated corona virus and the test checks for those antibodies, but dosn't successfully point to FIP. FIP is generally diagnosed via symptoms and ruling out other causes. Treatment consists of supportive therapy and symptom relief, but the condition is almost allways fatal. nothing has been very sucessfull in calming down the cats immune system which is out of control. draining fluid may work for a while but it dosn't solve the main issue of immune suppression. steroids also work short term.

Sadly most cats with FIP have to be PTS because they are in so much pain. there really isnt much you can do but try to keep the cats comfortable.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Tue Nov 20, '12 11:20am PST 
Our hearts go out to those with FIP. Our dear neighbors cat was just diagnosed with probable FIP. They are running a Corona check on him today.

Mom adopted a kitten with FIP years ago, a little one who had been turned in to a shelter. She wanted the little one to have a quality of life, a home and a bed and people to love before her time came. it was the hardest thing ever done.

We send purrs and the humans lots of hugs. No matter what, you know you did well by your darling ones.

love and how much means more than length of life.

from all of us here....hugs and purrs
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 1:37pm PST 
FIP comes from FECV (Feline Enteric Coronavirus). It is passed through the air and the animal becomes infected once inhaling the virus. Usually this happens when a cat sniffs another cat's feces. FECV is very common, yet only 0.0002% of cats will become infected with FIP. FECV doesn't even cause illness in cats. Cats can pass it around without anybody ever knowing they have the virus. Any cat that becomes infected with FECV has a 1/5,000 chance of that virus mutating into FIP. This increases if the cat is immuno-compromised. The susceptability of cats to get FIP is actually genetic. FIP comes in both effusive and non-effusive forms. Both types are fatal. The hallmark of effusive FIP is fluid in the abdomen. Most cats also loose their appetite. Non-effusive FIP usually presents with lack of appetite.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2