GO!

How long do cats with Wet FIP live and at what point do you PTS?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mr. Nigel- Pibb

When Mr.- Nigelsworth gets- angry...

Purred: Wed Oct 21, '09 8:29am PST 
this is in regards to my foster brother who is quickly accumulated fluid everyday. I don't want to prematurely PTS but I also do want him to suffer. Any recommendations?
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Wed Oct 21, '09 9:01pm PST 
cats with effusive FIP tend not to live very long...days to weeks once a diagnosis has be made (typically) If your kitty is lethargic, not eating or drinking, the it's probably time to euthanize.
[notify]

Seamus

King Seamus- McNamus

Purred: Sat Oct 31, '09 7:06pm PST 
I had FIP and my belly filled with fluid pretty rapidly once it started. After about a week I stopped eating on my own, and got very weak even though I was force fed for a few days. Going to my litter box became difficult for me and it looked like I was having a hard time breathing. You will know that the quality of life just isn't there for them.
[notify]

Mr. Nigel- Pibb

Purred: Tue Nov 3, '09 10:59am PST 
Stringbean is still eating, about 1/2 the amount though. The fluid is building rapidly and he did not respond to therapy. The rescue group that is sponsoring him feels it's time to move forward with putting him down cry

I want to do what is in his best interest.
[notify]

Rumble

Ultimate Tomcat

Purred: Tue Nov 3, '09 11:58am PST 
I went on vacation for a week and left healthy foster kittens. When I came back one had a severely swollen belly and was obviously in pain. I rushed him to the vet, who said he only had a couple weeks. Since he was in pain, I had him put to sleep right away. It was very sad, but in just a week's time he had lost so much quality of life.
[notify]

Max

Maxy Baby

Purred: Fri Nov 6, '09 11:46am PST 
My kitten, Max, was diagnosed with wet FIP in May. His illness seemed to happen overnight. He was a normal, rambunctious, healthy kitten - and then he wasn't. He suddenly stopped eating. I took him to an emergency animal hospital (it was a Sunday); they diagnosed him with hemobartonella (might be mispelled). I took him for a follow-up with our vet the next day; he didn't trust the diagnosis.

Long story short, I ended up taking him to the University of Illinois Animal Hosptial - it is the best place in our area for severely sick pets. They did all that they could, but in the end, he couldn't be saved. It was about three weeks from the time he got sick to the time we had to have him put to sleep.

The treatments did help. In a few weeks time, we went to Champaign with him at least 6 or 7 times, and the therapies/medications did help for a brief period of time. His last weekend with us, he was more himself, happy, eating, cuddling, etc. However, by Sunday night he went downhill- fast. I knew that I had to let him go, and did so Monday morning. It broke my heart. I'm getting teary as I type this response.

I guess my point is, when it is time, you will know it. I'm so sorry that you and your baby are going through this. FIP is a dreadful, cruel disease. You and your baby are in my prayers.
[notify]

Mr. Nigel- Pibb

Purred: Fri Nov 6, '09 12:10pm PST 
Max thank you so much for sharing your story with me. The past couple of days have been up and down with him, but the fluid kepts building and his eyes are swelling and liquid is coming out of them. He doesn't seem to care anymore about receiving any attention. I had the night off from school and planned on spending every minute after work with him last night and tonight so that I can have my last moments with him before he gets PTS tomorrow, but now he doesn't even seem to hardly respond to chin scratches and just sleeps while I pet him.
[notify]

Max

Maxy Baby

Purred: Fri Nov 6, '09 8:21pm PST 
I'm so sorry you are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. It is hard, but take comfort in the fact that you are doing the most loving thing possible for your kitty. I am here if you ever need someone to listen. Take care. hug
[notify]

Buddy

Purr, Purr,- Purr!!!

Purred: Fri Nov 6, '09 8:29pm PST 
So sorry to hear that Stringbean is reaching the end. This is a hard time, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Just know that you are doing the right thing for Stringbean. hughughug
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Wed Nov 14, '12 9:44am PST 
my heart is with you. My 6 month old baby was diagnosed on Nov 12 2012, we know it is just time, but like you we don't know how long that is. i appreciate the info everyone has added. he is still eating, purring and cuddling, but his stomach is so bloated and we see him slowing down more and more. The x-ray we saw showed so much white fluid in his system, it is scary and my 11 year old son and I just keep crying off and on.
we love him as much as we can and hope his last days on earth are full of love. we don't know when that day will be, but now I have a better idea of what to watch for.
bless you all for sharing this difficult information. I am crying as I type. His sister Neo also knows something is wrong and keeps cuddling with him and cleaning him, so he still looks as beautiful as ever. the photo I added was taken only a few days ago.
thank you to all of you
Skywalker and Neo's Mom
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2