GO!

Unable to Walk or Eat after Rabies Vacine.

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bam Margera

Deamon Cat of- Barker Street

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 2:01pm PST 
Just one trouble on top of another for Bam. Bam is 4 years old, and sense I've had him when he gets his yearly Rabies Shot, he is unable to walk for at least 2 days, is in Pain, and more irritable then usual. He will also refuse to eat unless I force it down his throat which I pretty much make Kitty food slurry and shoot it down his throat with a syringe...(NOT FUN)

Now sense Bam was 6 months old I've been fighting with Vet after Vet about him not getting Rabies shots. I just don't know what to do anymore, I know this is hurting him more then helping him but as its required by law to have this done yearly I'm at a loss what to do for Bam. Any help?
[notify]

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Queen of the- Rainbow Bridge

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 2:25pm PST 
The law usually states that you have to have a rabies shot unless theres a medical reason that you can't. So for example very old cats can skip their shots if their vet approves. Your local animal control should be able to confirm what the rules are and whether you can get an exemption.

Since Bam gets such extreme reactions to the rabies vacination you should be able to get an exemption. Did any of the vets who did the vacination see what he was like afterwards? If so get them to write down what happened and confirm that it was a reaction to the rabies vaccine. If they still refuse to treat him unless he's vacinated you can at least call around other vets to find one who's more reasonable and you can use the info from the previous vet to prove why you don't want him vacinated for rabies.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 2:31pm PST 
That's a tough one when it's required by law.

There are rabies vaccines that are effective for three years. They're used mainly in dogs because they have been linked to an increased risk of injection-site fibrosarcoma in cats. Some of the cats in our family have been given the three-year ones before, though, without problems.

You might talk to your vets about trying the three-year vaccines. It might be worth the risk to avoid having to go through this ordeal every year.
shrug

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 2:51pm PST 
I just saw your post, and I like your idea better, Minxy! applause

I looked around for information on the vaccination laws in Illinois and found this:

(510 ILCS 5/) Animal Control Act

"If a licensed veterinarian determines in writing that a rabies inoculation would compromise an animal's health, then the animal shall be exempt from the rabies shot requirement, but the owner must still be responsible for the (licensing) fees."

Most of the law seems to apply mainly to dogs, though. I can't find anything specifically about cats. thinking

Does the county or town you live in have its own vaccination laws that go beyond state laws, Bam?

Edited by author Sun Aug 2, '09 2:52pm PST

Macie

I gotta be free!

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 3:04pm PST 
My Macie got vacc'd on a Friday afternoon, including Rabies, and by Saturday morning was in severe pain and was walking hobbled. She wouldn't drink anything and barely ate. I took her to an e-vet, where they gave her fluids, an anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic because she had a fever. It did wonders for her, and fairly quickly, too.

Have you been back to the vet?
[notify]

Bam Margera

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 5:58pm PST 
Yes, both vets I've fought with about this have seen Bam after the intial injection. It was the second one who said to force feed him. My biggest concern is Bam is due for his Shot on the 5th, I move to a new county on the7th, Infact I'm moving to a new State and back to my vet that I love and trust with all my pets. She is a wonderful Vet and is there to help the animal not to make money. She's already agreed to make me up a file saying Bam does not need the shot. My Concern is Bam is due on the fifth and if we do not show for his shots the vet will report us which could cause a LOT of issues. I have a Letter from my new vet for the cross country transport. (Bam will be in a crate in the car for all of the trip, with a harness and tags.) But I'm more concerned about the Vet here in this county in IL reporting me to Animal Control.
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 6:27pm PST 
Bam, I am sorry to read about your situation. Lucy had a life-threatening allergic reaction to rabies vaccination about 7 years ago and has not been vaccinated since then. In Arizona, there aren't any rabies vaccination laws for cats but even if there was, my vet would definitely write something up so that Lucy didn't get the shot.

If I understood your last post correctly, the shot is due on the 5th and you are moving out of state on the 7th? Would your current vet really report you in two days if you don't have the shot done on the 5th? That seems a bit strange to me. Have you called up your current vet and requested your cat's medical records be transferred to the new vet? If not, I would do that and tell your current vet that you are moving out of state and changing vets.
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 10:44pm PST 
Hi Bam,wave
I agree with Lucy. Here in Florida we have to get rabies shots. I am so sorry to hear that it makes you sick. Rabies is an IM shot and some IM shots given incorrectly can cause a lot of problems. But this does not sound like that. With you being an-inside cat, I do not see a big need for the shot. All 3 cats and 3 dogs have the 3 year rabies. I have 2 ferrets and will not get them shots because rabies can kill them or cause the same problem you are having. I would just move and not worry about the old vet, see your fav. Vet as soon as you can and things should be fine.
Good Luck
Meow here was also a talker,,, hence his name

hug
[notify]

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Queen of the- Rainbow Bridge

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 11:02pm PST 
Lucy's idea about getting your new vet to request Bam's records be transferred is good. If you still think the old vet might report you you could just make an appointment for the 8th or 9th and then cancel it once you are safely under the care of the new vets.
[notify]

Bam Margera

Purred: Mon Aug 3, '09 11:09am PST 
Well, I called the Current/old Vet this morning and after 45 minutes of arguing with them, they said even though my new/furture Vet had already requested my paperwork they did not have to send it until I'd left the county because Bam would still have to come in on the 5th for his shots. I argued with them, informed them Bam would not be in for his shots and they told me if he was not in by closing on the 5th they would call animal control. So I hung up on them and reported myself to animal control.

Upon the officers arrivel I explained everything in full Detail, from Bam's inability to walk, or eat for up to 3 days after the shot, to my Current/old Vets inability to release my cats paperwork to his new vet in Oregon. He stayed with me for about an hour dicussing everything then wrote me pretty much a pass saying I was free to skip my rabies shot this season (as I have a notice from the New/Future Vet saying I can)

So all and all, let my old vet report me I have Animal Control's permission to NOT get Bam his Shot on the 5th!!!!party
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3