GO!

How long can a cat go without peeing? What's normal?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Apr 19, '09 4:42pm PST 
Well, Meowmy went and got the new kitty she has been theatening me with yesterday, and now of course, there is a problem. "IT" has been here nearly 24 hours, and so far as Meowma can see, has not peed or pooped. Now, she knows that if there's nothing there at this time tomorrow, she's got to search on her hands and knees--but right now she sees and smells nothing.
The thing is, "IT" had only been at the shelter a week, and they had already stuck him in a community room. The shelter people told Meowma that they had not seen "IT" eating or drinking much. But, IT is eating everything Meowma puts down here, and drinking as well. IT seems still very scared, but goes right to Meowma when she goes in the room where he is staying alone for now, and is very affectionate--after 10 minutes or so IT even lets her touch ITs tummy.
Anyway, sorry to be so long, but Meowma can tell IT is not in pain, trying to P that she sees, and has no signs of an UTI, but she is curious--
1)how long CAN a healthy kitty go without peeing?
2) If the kitty had not been drinking much in the shelter, could he be kind of dehydrated and so not peeing?
3) How many times a day does an average normal boy cat P?

IT will walk through the box, and lays down in the area, so IT does know where the potty is, and isn't afraid of it.
(PS-- Meowma will be naming 'the boy kitty" when he settles and his purrsonality comes out. But till she does--I'm saying IT!!)

Edited by author Sun Apr 19, '09 4:46pm PST

[notify]

Oliver

Named for the- other famous- green tractor

Purred: Sun Apr 19, '09 5:27pm PST 
Of course you know that the longer a cat does not pee, the more the risk of developing stones and an UTI.

Twenty four hours seems a long time. I would be very concerned. Whenyou feel his belly is it swollen and hard? He is drinking and eating.. it has to come out sometime.. but honestly I would be worried.

When people dumped house cats on the farm (back when I had a farm) the cats would hole up and often not move and die. They were so terrified.. and I would find the bodies tucked here and there. Thank goodness it was not a frequent thing.

Some people may crticize me for this, but when I get a new cat I have a Very Large plastic airline type dog kennel that I put the cat in. I put a litter box in there and water and a towel to skleep on. Because it is plastic and enclosed, the cat will often feel safe in this. It also allows you to know exactly if the cat pees of poops and how many times.

If the cat is human friendly I bring the cat out for meals and attention, but will leave him in the kennel when I am not there with him. I even measure the water in the water bowl and when I change it 2X a day I pour it back into the measuring cup to precisely determine the cat's water intake.
[notify]

Oliver

Named for the- other famous- green tractor

Purred: Sun Apr 19, '09 5:30pm PST 
I forgot to add this. Adult cats that have been confined that are taking in adequate amounts of water will pee 2-4 times in an 8-10 hour period and poop 1X to 2X a day.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun Apr 19, '09 5:34pm PST 
If he's trying to urinate but can't, I'd get him checked out by a vet pronto. He needs a wellness check (take a fecal sample, too!) anyway. Kittens usually urinate immediately after they eat. Adult cats do too, and their pee time usually coincides with their active times at dawn and dusk. Harvey has gone for two days on a cat show excursion without using the toilet, but that was from nerves and not illness.
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Sun Apr 19, '09 5:37pm PST 
BooBoo,

how long ago has momma checked the litter box? Boris went half a day without peeing the first time home, but then he let it all loose. Me? Practically the first thing I did upon coming home was business: #2, followed by a #1 for good measure. But after that I didn't poo for a day. Peeing was another story. Depending on how young IT is, he should go from 2-3 times a day to more than that (at my youngest, I would pee every couple of hours).

He might be peeing under a bed if he's in a bedroom, and that spot is carpeted. Mommy moved Boris' litterbox right next to the bed when he came home because he did hide under there for most of the first evening. She never did see him pee, just knew it had happened by the next morning (12 hours in) because she went on her maiden voyage of scooping.

I hope IT pees soon, and if he doesn't, definitely ask your mom to bring him to the vet tomorrow. I know that this is tantamount to saying you want him to stay, but ... well... some things trump wanting not to have a new sibling, don't they?

You've been given good advice about checking out his bladder. The vet told mom that you can tell when a kitty is holding in it or can't go if his/her parts feel hard when gently squeezed.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Apr 20, '09 3:26am PST 
Harvey--what a manly bladder you have!!! Well, Meowma got up very early this morning, and the gates have opened, and there was a HUGE clump of P in the litter box. So, she is glad she wont have to do 'the search'! IT did not appear to be sick, just scared, so Meowma had eliminated most (never say all, unless the room is completely empty) hiding places. Poor IT has had a bad few weeks--he was trapped as feral, but is declawed and neutered! Right after the holding period someone had adopted him, took him home and threw him in with several other cats, so of course IT didn't get along right away, and they brought him back in ten days, A week later, here comes Meowma, and now he is here.
Luckily, the person who adopted him first did get a wellness check, all the vaccines, and a whole list of things done to him, and there is paper work to prove it all. So IT won't have to travel any time soon, and hopefully will adjust soon.

And now Meowma knows--twice a day is good, but IT CAN hold it for more than 24 hours when panicked. Meowma says he seems like a new kitty this AM already--we shall see! We just could not find anything out there that says how often cats actually do urinate on average, just what to do if they are peeing out of the box or not at all.

Thanks, y'all!!!
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Mon Apr 20, '09 6:10am PST 
Thank you, BooBoo. My ability to hold my water is one of the few things I take pride in.

Good to hear that IT appears to be another cat and not a man you've captured and are hiding in your basement. We're all dying to know what kind of IT it is--is it a Sphynx one?

Glad to know that things turned out all-right, pee-wise.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Apr 20, '09 9:22am PST 
No, there was only the one Sphynx, and that lady broke the rules to get him first. Meowma got IT at another shelter (she was ashamed to go back to the first one, plus they didn't really have any good candidates other than the nekkid-kid.
No, "IT" is a declawed and neutered boy DSH, brown tabby; many people probably wouldn't look at IT twice but Meowma says his spots and stripes are gorgeous--as if anything looks better than plain old black, with a little white 'smoke' undercoat , one white throat dot, and one white dot between the rear two kititties.
She hasn't let IT out so I can beat it up, though--what fun is that.

This is Meowma-- I don't think the little brown guy was getting his share of the food at the shelter; he was in a community room with lots of food, but seemed a bit dehydrated and extremely hungry yesterday. I will put up pictures when I think he's comfy enough for the flash and all. He comes out, head butts, arches his back , and in general is very sweet, but still very cautious in his new place. He is enjoying his window though!smile
[notify]

Spooky

Master of the- silent meow

Purred: Mon Apr 20, '09 9:52am PST 
We had an It come in too a few months ago, a black male 7-month-old. I hated him for some time, but have to admit that while I've been under the weather this past month, he's been really nice to me. He loves to pounce, but hasn't pounced me even once since I got hurt - just lies quietly nearby.

He pees maybe three times a day too - like a racehorse. laugh out loud

Mom loves our brown tabby, even though she normally thinks they're boring-looking. She says Rumble is beautiful because of his tiger striping and the way the light catches his fur. And brown tabbies have awesome personalities in her experience.

But she tells *me* I'm the most beautiful girl in the world and the purrfect cat! (not sure what she tells the others)
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Mon Apr 20, '09 10:39am PST 
BooBoo,

we're glad to hear that your interloper peed. But we're sad to hear he went from being feral to being indoor and declawed. That's a huge adjustment to make. What was the human who had tried to give it a home thinking? *gets off the soapbox*

Anyway, we are glad he's feeling better, and we think you might get along with IT better than you think. I figured out that I like having another cat around when the little one had to be at the v-e-t overnight last December. It just wasn't the same without the grey intruder around.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2