GO!

paw infection

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Brat Cat

Purred: Sat Apr 11, '09 10:49am PST 
My kitty is having some problems right now. He went outside to roam for his 1st time a few weeks ago and he's been in and out since. Then he got beat up pretty bad by another cat and then I noticed that one of his claws on his left paw was injured. It seems the claw got caught on something. I have been giving his some home remedies, but the paw is not getting better and then one of the pads on his back paw is swelling and white. I cannot afford a vet and vets have a hard time dealing with him because of an existing condition, so can anyone direct me to a home remedy to clean his paws properly and what I could treat them with. It seems that it's infected/inflamed. Please help, thank you!
[notify]

Teaka

NO to N***O

Purred: Sat Apr 11, '09 11:08am PST 
awww, poor thing.

Really, a vet is the better route, even if you have to borrow or ask to make payments. If the infection becomes abscessed, it could be much worse than a little trip for lancing and antibiotics.

In the meantime, an old fashioned remedy for "drawing out" is to soak in a warm solution of epsom salt & water. I can't remember the proper solution ratio off the top of my head, probably 25%, certainly no more than 50%.

The salt will slowly draw out infections and sometimes even embedded impurities (dirt, splinters), but it will also draw out any moisture in the skin. So do soak/rinse thoroughly in plain water after each treatment, in order to rehydrate the affected area.

Honestly, though.... don't let this sit for much longer. I know times are tough, but delaying a vet visit will only make it more expensive in the long run.
[notify]

Brat Cat

Purred: Sat Apr 11, '09 11:37am PST 
Thank you, I will do that right away. Since this solution dries out his paws, what can I put on them after to moisturize and help heal?
[notify]

Teaka

NO to N***O

Purred: Sat Apr 11, '09 1:04pm PST 
maybe try a bit of vitamin E?

The fact that the pad is swelling, and turning white really has me concerned that it's much worse than you think. As I understand it, pads do not grow back if they peel off completely... they heal if they're cut, but if they come off, it's a bad situation.

Have you looked into Care Credit (link) for help with expenses? Also, some other Catsters put together a list of organizations that help with vet bills; click here
[notify]

Arthur

Purred: Sat Apr 11, '09 2:17pm PST 
If your kitty doesn't do very well at the vet's, could you find a vet that does housecalls? Our vet does this, but we don't have problems at the vet so Mom and Dad just take us there.
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Sat Apr 11, '09 8:36pm PST 
Dang that must hurt real bad. There is a blue liquid I can get from my feed store. I do not remember the name but it is the same stuff you see on Animal Planet on any of there rescues. And they soak the cats paws in it all the time. You could also use a triple antibiotic type ointment on the pad also. I am sure someone here knows the name.. You could also find a pet store that is doing vaccinations and stop in with your cat and ask the vet, A lot of them here do not mind answering that and it does not coast you anything.
Good Luck
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Sat Apr 11, '09 9:35pm PST 
oops wish there was a way to delete ones own post...I need to check that out...

Edited by author Sat Apr 11, '09 9:51pm PST

[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Sat Apr 11, '09 9:49pm PST 
Found the name I was looking for, it is Novalsan and you can get it from most feed stores or some pet stores. You can try a human drugstore. Here is a link from pet meds. You do not need to use them it is just a link so you know what it is I am talking about.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Nolvasan Skin & Wound Cleanser-prod2140.html

also checked in my" Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" and you can also use a triple antibiotic cream . It also recommends cleaning with Betadine solution (dilute 1 part to 10 parts water). Blot dry. Apply an antibiotic ointment such as Triple antibiotic ointment or Neomycin and leave wound open or bandage. This should be changed frequently to aid in the drainage of pus and allow you to apply fresh ointment.

Though I strongly advise you to see your vet. I know you talked and all but seeing it would be better.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing. hug

Edited by author Sat Apr 11, '09 9:52pm PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Apr 12, '09 4:35am PST 
Just going to give you some information, and you can use it, or throw it
away. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Any cat that goes outside, runs the risk of being injured by another cat,
dog, or not very nice human. They run the risk of being hit by a car, or
getting into something, that could kill them. They run the risk of getting
trapped in somewhere. If the cat is a whole male, as in, not neutered, he
increases his risk of getting beat up, and or possibly killed by another
whole male cat, or getting hit by a car, while trying to find a female cat.
Cats can wander up to 9 miles, looking for a female. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

One should never treat, if they don't know what they are treating for.
It could make the situation worse, or delay the proper treatment, and in
some cases, may be too late. An experienced cat person, could treat it
themselves, depending on the issue, whereas, an inexperienced cat
person would need to take the cat to the vets. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

If you took the cat to the vet, you would be charged an office visit, each
one is different, mine is $30. Then you would be charged for medication,
anitbiodics ballpark are $15. Thats if you catch it early. If you wait, and
he has an infection, left untreated, you are looking at a whole lot of money
to treat him. Just like with a human that has an infection left untreated.
big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

If the cat is unruly for the vet, they have a soft sided cat muzzle, it kinda
looks like a cone. It covers his entire face, the small open end, allows him
to breath, but he cannot open his mouth, and it covers his eyes, making
him a little quieter to deal with. He can also be wrapped in a towel, kinda
like a cocoon, so he is not going anywhere, and cannot injure himself or
or others, and just have is injured paw sticking out. Believe me, he is
not going anywhere, thats how I teach the kittens to blow dry, they both
now just sit there, and I didn't think Cruiser would ever graduate from
blow drying school, mol. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Just some information, so you can make an informed decision, best of
luck with whatever you decide to do. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Cookie

King of Mummy's- Lap

Purred: Sun Apr 12, '09 4:26pm PST 
try some antibiotic creams that he can have that wont be dangerous if he licks.. call a vet and ask if u cant afford to go to one
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2