GO!

Cat peeing on dog bed.. I can't take much more

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Pepper

obstacles.. are- merely things to- bat!

Purred: Fri Feb 27, '09 3:14pm PST 
I need help. Badly because I can't do this much longer.

My cat Pepper , we have had for five months still using the littler box but now has started peeing on the dogs beds.. we have several but he has three he pees on nearly daily.

He has been checked no UTI and the beds are cleaned and I have used every product under the sun, nothing deters him.. and I mean nothing.. I come home evernight to throw dog beds into the washer.

I even replaced two of them, still pees on them. I love him and dont 'want to give him up but I can't deal with an animal that is peeing all over the house daily. I worry that he may start peeing on things I CANT throw into the wash.

I need help here.. the boxes are fine so that is not the issue.. help me.. I want to keep him but this habit is getting to be a real problem. It just started a few weeks ago. He did it when we first got him , then it stopped and now it is starting again.
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Fri Feb 27, '09 3:25pm PST 
What has changed, since he stopped doing it, and when he starting doing
it again. Something has changed. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Moved his cat box, change in litter, change in food, change in loc of food
or water, new pet in household, new person in household, new routine in
household, more comotion than normal, maybe some people in house
hold fighting, yelling? big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Think back, something has changed. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Pepper

Purred: Fri Feb 27, '09 3:37pm PST 
not one thing. nothing moved.. no job changes.. just me and hubby and no we are not yelling. (been married way to long for that), we dont' have kids... there has not been one single change to our household.. the ONLY thing is my husband went on a business trip three weeks ago for several days (he likes hubby) but he has been back for weeks now..

litter is the same, box is the same, household is the same... pets are the same.. no furniture moved.. no vistors.. no work hours ( I work from home) not one single change to the house or routine .. and btw Cruiser is adorable!!!!!
[notify]

Cruiser

Purred: Fri Feb 27, '09 4:09pm PST 
Thanks! big grin He runs and plays, like a crazy boy, mol. big grin

Way cool name, after Dr Pepper. big grin

Did Pepper start this after your husband went on the business trip? Or
maybe when he came back? How is the timeline, for the peeing, with
your husband, who he loves, being away? big grin

Dog beds new? Pepper have a bed, he no longer has? More attention
than normal, given to the dogs lately? Anything changed with the dogs? big grin

Does Pepper sit in the cat box too long? Cry in the cat box? Pee anywhere
else besides the cat box? Could he possibly be blocked, or a UTI?
What do you feed? big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Pepper

Purred: Fri Feb 27, '09 4:32pm PST 
took him to the vet. no UTI (and yes he was named after Dr Pepper, my favorite drink we thought the name fit.. LOL)

He started this when my husbandwent on his business trip, in fact I noticed it about two days into it.. My husband has been back two weeks and it has not stopped. He is more a daddys boy then a mommas boy.

Believe me there enough beds for a harem in here.. he has no problem finding a place to land, and his favorite spot is the kitty condo.. HE is high energy.. one of my cats is a maine coon who is just fat and lazy..LOL not a high energy baby at all.. and Pepper being a kitten is all over the place. He and the Siamese are crazy about each other.

lots of play and toys and attention.. and praise when he does use the box.

One other thing , if I put him in the box and he has to go, he will if not he will walk around the box ledge (it has a wide enough ledge) and try not to get in the box.. not sure what that is all about.. and he does use the box by himself as well.
[notify]

Lexus

Purred: Fri Feb 27, '09 4:46pm PST 
It sort of sounds to me like it may have had something to do with daddy leaving??? Maybe showing his displeasure with daddy leaving him alone...How often does he go away?

One thing I would suggest is getting rid of the doggie beds that has been peeed on. Unless you are using a cleaner that is completely getting the smell out then he will be able to smell his urine on the beds and continue to pee on them.

How many litter boxes do you have for how many kitties? Where are they located? What type of litter do you use? When did you take him to get checked for the UTI?shrug Could one of the other cats be keeping him from going to the washroom in the litterbox? This happened to me with my two cats the other day for the first time in 9 years....but I was there and figured out that this was the cause of her peeing outside of the litterbox.

Have you ever heard of feliway diffusers? This is supposed to help relax cats when they are stressed...

Edited by author Fri Feb 27, '09 4:47pm PST

[notify]

Cruiser

Purred: Fri Feb 27, '09 6:32pm PST 
Yup, thats it, mol, I think we figured it out, something did change,
Daddy left, and Pepper didn't know why. I agree with Lexus. big grin

I also agree with getting rid of the dog beds, sometimes even washing them,
they can still smell it, and cats have a very strong and sensitive sence of
smell. big grin

Cats like routine. They will "patrol" the house several times a day, to make
sure everything is where it should be. big grin

Pepper loves his daddy, and daddy left, and didn't tell Pepper, and
Pepper is showing daddy, he is mad at him for leaving, geez daddy didn't
even bring Pepper back a small souvenier, mol. big grin

Try the feliway, if that doesn't work, talk to your vet about it. Since it
wasn't the UTI, figured it was behavioral, just had to figure out what the
"trigger" was. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Pepper

Purred: Fri Feb 27, '09 10:24pm PST 
Daddy goes away maybe twice a year. He was gone for a few days and has been back for well over two weeks now.

I did replace two of the beds.. still wet on the new ones (we have six beds and he has wet on four of them)

he is still using the litter boxes.. no problems there

cats are not blocking him I have seen him go in them, no issue there either.

Tried the feliway, no luck there. natures miracle on the beds.. no luck even citrus.. nothing which is when I replaced them...

My worry is he is going to start peeing on things I can't replace that easily like sofas and bedding...
[notify]

Wilson sweet- baby Angel

Empowerment- through- education

Purred: Fri Feb 27, '09 11:49pm PST 
Maybe Pepper has an attitude like my Wilson, they look alike, lol!
No seriously though, what kind of food are you feeding? and how much?
[notify]

Lexus

Purred: Sat Feb 28, '09 2:46am PST 
Lexus pees in the litterbox all the time as well....(never had a problem before) but that day Bishop would not let her go in the litterbox to take a pee...it does happen.

I would get rid of everything that he is peeing on....What type of litter do you use and how many litterboxes do you have and where are they placed?

Has he been spayed?

Edited by author Sat Feb 28, '09 2:52am PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3