GO!

Missing fur and sore around eye!?!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Miko

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 4:13pm PST 
So about 2 days after we brought Miko home she started to lose some hair around her eye. We thought maybe it was stress and it would heal up and all would be fine. We gave her a few days to see if it got any better. It didn't. I have only seen her scratch it once. It will scab up and then overnight it'll get all raw again (my guess is she is scratching it at night). She is eating, drinking, playing, pooing, peeing normally. She does have another spot on her paw where the fur is missing but it hasnt scabbed up like the one on her eye. When I rubbed on her eye I found that she had scabs and the more I rubbed it the scab and some fur came out. I am adding pictures so you all can see the progression of it and let me know if any of you have any ideas what it could be. We are taking her to the vet Monday.
1st day home, no sores...her eye looked a bit red. After a few days home the fur looks dark. 3rd pic is kinda blurry but you can see the missing fur. 4th pic, it was scabbed up. 5th pic...she got it all bloody...today we decided it probably isn't going to get any better.
I have been putting peroxide on it. She does have some feline acne. She also has a bit of dark stuff in her ears. (looks like ear mite gunk)She doesn't scratch her ears or shake her head though.

Edited by author Sat Jan 31, '09 4:22pm PST

[notify]

Miko

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 4:17pm PST 
Ah, I guess my photos didnt post! They showed up on the preview!!!
Let's try this
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/sweetyk83/DSC08231.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/sweetyk83/DSC08258.jpg
http ://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/sweetyk83/DSC08394.jpg
http://i7 3.photobucket.com/albums/i227/sweetyk83/DSC03429.jpg
http://i73.pho tobucket.com/albums/i227/sweetyk83/DSC08578.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't embed my photos! frown

Edited by author Sat Jan 31, '09 4:27pm PST

[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 4:47pm PST 
Such a cutie - not sure but I'd probably take her to the vet.

xoxxo

Arthur

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 4:57pm PST 
You should take her to the vet--that could be ringworm. That's not actually a worm. It's a fungal infection that is highly contagious (cats and humans can give it to each other) and it can be hard to get rid of.

Also, you'll definitely want to have the vet make sure her ears are OK. My friend Mika had an ear infection when Mom and Dad brought her home--the vet said she had had the infection for more than a year. Because her ear was inflamed for so long, a ceruminous gland tumor (a type of cancer) grew there and she had to have an operation.
[notify]

Miko

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 5:13pm PST 
Thanks for your response Arthur...I was wondering if it could be ringworm or mange. None of the other cats or humans in the house have had any itchy skin or problems like Miko. Myself and Cirus love on her a lot too! If it were either of those things how long would it take for it to transfer to us? We are calling to make her an appointment 1st thing Monday morning.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 5:23pm PST 
my first guess was ringworm too! vet is needed asap as people can catch ringworm. so after you touch your kitten wash hands with hot soapy water.

dont put peroxide on it. it could also be an eye infection, its hard to tell without seeing the kiten. if her eye looks sore or gross wipe with a warm wash cloth and if it looks swollen or inflammed use a cold compress.

Edited by author Sat Jan 31, '09 5:26pm PST

[notify]

Miko

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 5:38pm PST 
Her eye isn't swollen but now I am all paranoid and itchy! I wish tomorrow wasn't Sunday!

I have been reading up on ringworm and it says they'll have chin acne, and she does!! I am freaking out here....pretty grossed out. I really don't want the whole family (cats and humans) to get ringworm!

Edited by author Sat Jan 31, '09 5:47pm PST

[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 7:50pm PST 
Hi Miko! You are so cute, welcome to your new home! It does look like it could be ringworm (is the sore on her paw on the paw that she uses to scratch her eye/side of her face with the sore?). The vet on Monday might look at it with a special light as sometimes ringworm glows but this isn't 100% percent accurate in diagnosing. To truly determine if it is ringworm, they would have to take a culture and let it grow for 1-2 weeks. If it is ringworm, it can be a pain to get rid of (lots of cleaning required!) but you are catching it right away so that's good.

It could be something else and not ringworm. Did Miko have a food change when she came home? Sometimes food allergies can present like this, too. Keep us updated on how the vet appointment goes. Sending lots of purrs to little Miko and family!
[notify]

Miko

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 8:18pm PST 
Yea, the bald spot on her paw is on the same side as the sore on her face. It's funny you said that because I noticed that just now when she was cleaning her face....I can't believe I never thought of it till now. I put some monistat cream on the sores after reading some posts on catster about people using it. I am pretty certain after reading up that she has ringworm. She has a scab on her ear that I thought was from her wrestling with Cirus but now I realize it is probably from the ringworm.
My question now is how long does it take after someone is infected to start having symptoms? Everyone in our family has touched her at one time or another and I have touched the actual scabby parts. So I am waiting for symptoms...also Cirus has loved on her and wrestled with her....Tinker has slept next to her. So this could be a true disaster!
Oh, and about a change of food....we have been transitioning her from Science Diet kitten to Wellness Core....but she started losing fur after only 2 days of eating the mixture, how quickly do food allergies affect the cat usually?

Edited by author Sat Jan 31, '09 8:21pm PST

[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 9:02pm PST 
I'm not sure how long it takes for the symptoms to show up. Not all cats even show outward symptoms. Lucy had a horrible case of ringworm about 4 years ago. I never got it and my dog didn't get it. My other kitty didn't show any symptoms but I had her cultured and she was positive, too. So both cats were treated for it. It's a fungus (like athlete's foot) and one of the main treatments (besides the medication from the vet) is to rid the environment of fungal spores. Lots of vacuuming. Make sure to immediately tie up the vacuum bag and dispose of it in the garbage outside your home; don't reuse vacuum bags as the fungal spores thrive in there.

I'd probably wait to put anything on it (especially b/c it's so close to her eye) until you see the vet and get his/her opinion on if it is ringworm or something else. Just to be on the safe side.

Definitely rule out ringworm before you start trying to figure out if it might be food allergies. If it is ringworm, make sure to contact the shelter or whereever you got her from so they can treat their environment and the other kitties as soon as possible.

If it is ringworm, I know how daunting it can seem when you have other animals. Try not to worry too much; although it can be difficult to eliminate, it is very treatable and you can get rid of it!

hug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3