GO!

Hyperthyroid cat won't eat

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mackenzie- (in loving- memory)

Gimme some- lovins!

Purred: Wed Dec 10, '08 1:19pm PST 
Mackenzie has been diagnosed with hyperthryoidism. For about 5 weeks, we managed to get the pill in him either by crushing and sprinkling in his food, or tossing it down his throat. He then became very wary of me - the pill giver - and wouldn't come near me. So hubby started trying. Mackenzie would hide the pill and toss it up after we turned away, or eat then puke, and now he won't eat anything we put down as food - except people food. We gave him some real turkey just to see if he had any appetite.

We see the vet tomorrow but I am wondering if this is pyschological. He needs to eat, he had already lost 4-5 pounds and doesn't need to lose any more (thankfully he was heavier to begin with).

Any thoughts? I am asking the vet for the ear cream medicine, but I am scared he won't want to eat ever again.cry
[notify]

Liberty

August 2002-May- 2010. I AM- MISSED!

Purred: Wed Dec 10, '08 3:02pm PST 
Hyperthroidism can lead to high blood pressure and that can lead to kidney damage. One of the signs of kidney damage is lose of appetite. Time to do some more blood work!
[notify]

Mackenzie- (in loving- memory)

Gimme some- lovins!

Purred: Wed Dec 10, '08 4:11pm PST 
Yep that's where we are headed tomorrow. My baby is only 12, I am so sad that he is sick. I don't like to see him losing weight and needing medicine. It breaks my heart. I know that there are medicine alternatives, and we will discuss them, but the radiation therapy is $$$ and my baby is 12 and emotionally delicate. So we will dicuss the ear stuff tomorrow, and try to find osmething to eat.

The thing is, he'll eat treats or turkey, but not the food that we typically put his pill in. So I think THAT can be psychological. Wish us luck, this kitty is so special to me, he has been with me through long term and chronic illness, I want him to have a long and healthy life because he deserves it.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Wed Dec 10, '08 4:35pm PST 
HiMackenzie, from what I have read in my cat bible, there are 3 ways to treat this
1. Drugs(Tapazole)
2. Surgical treatment to remove thyroid gland
3. Radioactive iodine isotope
While the third option is expensive, it works!!! (only of course if your cat has no underlying problems such as heart problems).
The surgical way is to delicate a procedure in your case and doesnt always work. Drugs are expensive in the long run, as this has to be given every single day, and you will have to have blood tests done all the time when on these meds.and It will never cure the disease the iodine treatment will.
Your Mackenzie is only 12, they can live a lot longer, I think its worth it, just thought I'd give you my opinion on this smile
Keep feeding the human food, it is better than no food, give chicken, whatever you can.Have you tried some Wellness grain free wet food? Your cat may like this.
Purring for you!!
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Wed Dec 10, '08 5:59pm PST 
This is Delyte. This is the problem that I have been having for several weeks, except in my case it was clear-cut--I was puking everything although still acting hungry. The medication is irritating your cat's tummy. Our vet said that this medication is famous for causing gastric distress. I got taken off it, and will be starting on the gel that you rub on the ears as soon as it comes.

I got so weak that they are giving me steroids to bolster me, and as soon as I had the first shot I regained my appetite again and have been eating like crazy.

You need to stop the medication right away to give your kitty's stomach a rest, and maybe switch to the medication in another form. You don't have to consider the drastic stuff just yet.

Mackenzie, black cats rule!!! Even when they are sick! big grin
[notify]

Lola

Lola--Cuddly- Diva!

Purred: Wed Dec 10, '08 6:26pm PST 
Hi....I sympaathize with you about the whole pill thing....Lola was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about four months ago and has been on the Tapazole...Let me give you a tip on the pill-administering.....what I do with her is: Make sure everything is quiet, put the dog in the other room, to make a calm environment, so as not to spook her.....then, I put her up on the kitchen counter ( sorry, clean freaks! ) in a sitting position, and wrap her in a bathtowel, kind of snug, like a strait-jacket, with just her head sticking out. I get the pill and dip it quickly in a saucer of olive oil, which I have out for the occasion....then I gently take her head, open her jaw carefully but quickly and just shoot the pill down her throat....it works almost every time and the tiny bit of oil on the pill makes it slide right down rather than getting caught, where she can spit it across the room. Right after, I give her a bite of special food, whatever she likes, turkey, freshly opened can of her cat food, etc. for a reward. We do this twice a day and although it was tough at first, she got used to it...so we don't really have to put it in food.you didn't say when you do the bloodwork, etc. But Lola gets basic bloodwork ( with thyroid panel ) twice a year and a big bloodwork ( senior profile ) once a year. Of course, urine testing is alway in that, too. Please don't give up on your cat....I had two wonderful cats who lived until they were 18! You can do this!
BTW, I have done a lot of research and although vet's are ok with either the pill-therapy to control it or the radio-iodine therapy ( which I agree is expensive, but in the long run, with the cost of meds over many years, maybe save up for it ) but I also hear that the surgery option doesn't get good reviews, so stay away from the regular thyroid surgery. I still think that you can work out this pill thing.....good luck and keep us posted!
[notify]

Watson

He's no- Sherlock!

Purred: Wed Dec 10, '08 6:48pm PST 
One of my kitties, Ligiea, is not hyperthyroidic, but epileptic, and needs pills twice a day. I do something similar to what Lola does, except I catch her wherever I can. She knows the word "pill", and runs to hide. So I grab her pill, grab her, and pop the pill in the back of her throat, then rub her throat to get her to swallow it.
I hope your kitty is feeling better soon, and starts to eat normally!
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Thu Dec 11, '08 6:32am PST 
Mackenzie, I hope your tummy feels better and you start eating again soon.

I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and will take my first pill today. Mommy is going to start out with putting the pill in pill pockets and see how that goes. My vet said the meds come as pills or compounded into a liquid or as a gel that goes in the ear. She said the gel doesn't always give consistent results but in your case, it sounds like it may be the best solution.

As far as treatment goes, Shadow is right. There's medication, surgery and the I-131 radiation. The usual way to start is with medication to get the thyroid regulated and to make sure the hyperthyroidism isn't masking something serious like kidney or heart disease. Initially a blood test for thyroid, kidney functions and white and red blood cells is done quite often. I'll need one in 3-4 weeks. Once the medication is working, then I think tests only need to be done every 4 months or so.

My vet also does not recommend surgery. The best option, if there are no other underlying health problems, is the radiation treatment. It will *cure* the hyperthyroidism for good. It is expensive, but it only needs to be done once and it usually involves staying in the hospital for 3 days. I've heard of other shy kitties who had it done and came through the ordeal quite well.

big grin
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Dec 11, '08 9:35am PST 
This is Delyte. Our vet told us the radiation treatment took 6 days, and we would have to get it done at a big facility, either St. Louis or Champaign, both long drives from here.

The bad part for me is afterwards: No one can touch you for two weeks afterwards, as you are radioactive. So you have to be boarded at a facility where you can be isolated and your waste products have to be shipped out as radioactive waste etc. This would be three weeks with no one touching you. I don't think I could stand that--I am too attached to my person and too old to deal with big changes.

Purrs to Mackenzie and I'll let you know how the ear gel goes. [You rub it on the tips of the ear where the blood vessels are close to the surface.]
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Thu Dec 11, '08 10:21am PST 
Hi Delyte! wave

Mommy has spoken to a lot of people whose cats have had the I-131 and researched it on the web. Although costly, this is the best treatment for hyperthyroidism, although cats with heart and kidney disease and diabetes should not have it done.

Using the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison (http://vmthpub.vetmed.wisc.edu/sa_services/med/int_med/radioiodine. htm) website as one example, the average hospital stay is 3-7 days. Federal and State laws determine what is a safe level of radiation and how long a cat needs to be held in quarantine. Some states require 3 days and some require up to 7 days. Where I live, it's a 3 day stay. Mommy has talked to lots of other cat mommies whose kitties have had the I-131 and the majority went home after 3 days.

The amount of radiation used is very small. Federal and State laws require a cat to be held until radioactivity levels emitted are too low to be harmful (typically a matter of three days). Kitties are radioactive for about 82 days but as far as being isolated from their families, while you do need to take cautionary measures, they're not that extreme. Most of the safety issues involve the litter box and changing the litter. Your cat will not be *radioactive* after treatment and you can touch your cat. Here's something from the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison website, which is a rather typical description:

WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF RADIATION EXPOSURE FROM MY CAT TO PEOPLE AND OTHER PETS?

The dose of radioiodine used to treat hyperthyroid cats is very small and people and other animals are at very low risk from the radiation. Treated cats are hospitalized until they reach an acceptable low level of radioactivity. However, they will be radioactive (to some degree) for 82 days following treatment. Radioactivity does decrease rapidly over time and distance.

Steps to minimize and unnecessary radiation exposure to others include:

Try to maintain an arm's length distance (3 feet) from the treated cat whenever possible and especially if you will be with them for long periods of time. Avoid sleeping with the pet. This is most important for the first 1-2 weeks.

Wash your hands carefully after handling your pet, its food dishes or litter pan.

A treated cat will excrete low levels of radioactive iodine in its urine. Wear disposable plastic gloves when changing the litter and disposable plastic litter pan liners to minimize handling the litter. Change the litter daily and try to prevent tracking of litter away from the box.

Keep your treated cat confined indoors for 82 days. Do not allow your cat to go outside and roam freely in the neighborhood.

Children under the age of 18 and pregnant women should not have any prolonged or close contact with your pet.

http://vmthpub.vetmed.wisc.edu/sa_services/med/int_med/radioiodi ne.htm
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2