GO!

Tricks for giving liquid medication???

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Other posts by this user

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '05 6:38am PST 
My mama took me to the stinky vet yesterday and found out I have worms (that just sounds gross). She has to give me this liquid medication for three days that will make me better but I really don't like it. She gives it to me in a little syringe (no needle of course) and I manage to get most of it everywhere except in my belly. Should she hold my mouth closed after she puts it in or what is the best method? She puts it way at the back of my throat but I just waller (technical term) my tongue around until most of it is on mom. heeheehee ;o) Any suggestions would be appreciated (by mom, not me).

Many meows,
Oliver
[notify]

♥ - Hugo- ♥

Don't worry be- happy

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '05 12:21pm PST 
Hi Oliver,
Hope this helps.
http://petplace.netscape.com/Articles/artShow.asp?artID=1222

**note** Your mom need not close your mouth. When she tilt the syringe slightly, your head will also tilt, this makes it easier for you to sallow without mess.
[notify]

Siren

hottest- hairstylist in- town

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '05 5:47pm PST 
Also a good trick to use is to have a second syringe(no needle) filled with water and as soon as you put the medicine in squirt the water in, it will force them to swallow as well as help with the taste of the medicine. You can also rub some a little at a time on their gums which will absorb the medicine pretty quickly and force them to lick it off(just don't use enough to allow her to be able to shake it off)
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Wed Aug 17, '05 10:59am PST 
Good idea with the water thing. I may try that tonight. Last night I just gave it to him a little bit at a time and he got all of it down except one little drop. He's a little wiggle worm!
[notify]