GO!

How do you give your kitty Lysine?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Sneakers

Meow for Obama!

Purred: Tue Aug 26, '08 7:37pm PST 
I have to get Lysine each day, and Mom's crazy if she thinks she can trick me by mixing it in my food.
[notify]

Sammie

little stinker

Purred: Tue Aug 26, '08 8:00pm PST 
I mix there's in there food. i get lysine in straight power, sprinkle it in, we have no problems here.
[notify]

Murphy

Purred: Wed Aug 27, '08 8:26am PST 
Hi Sneakers -

We get the Lysine paste. It comes in a little plastic syringe-type tube. It tastes yummy and Mom never has trouble giving it to us. The vets sells it, or you can buy it on a pet supply website. It definitely helps with my herpes and immunity. Good stuff!!
[notify]

Wilson sweet- baby Angel

Empowerment- through- education

Purred: Wed Aug 27, '08 10:43am PST 
I use the capsules I just open up the capsule and sprinkle the powder into the wet food and mix it really well. I only give 250mg in the am and then 250mg in the evening.
[notify]

Velcro (In- Loving- Memory)

Fix one save- 1,000 please- spay/neuter!

Purred: Wed Aug 27, '08 11:08am PST 
I've started using a small portable coffee grinder to grind up the lysine tablet to a powder and then mixing it up in wet food, I stir it up real good so that there's no way to avoid ingesting the lysine. Another option would be a thing called Pill Pockets, I believe they are made by the Greenies company...they are just little treats that have a hole in the center that you put a pill into and then 'seal' the medicine in. You would probably have to cut the tablet into fourths though since I'm not sure how big the pill pocket treats are, and the lysine tablets I have gotten are pretty good sized.
[notify]

Sneakers

Meow for Obama!

Purred: Wed Aug 27, '08 6:24pm PST 
Mom got a big tube of Lysine gel. She put it in my furrrrvorite wet food and I would NOT touch it.

She's been rubbing it on my paws, but feels bad for making me messy. Putting it into a syringe scares me!!
[notify]

Murphy

Purred: Thu Aug 28, '08 10:24am PST 
Haha - it's not a syringe with a needle, silly. It's a plastic syringe with a "plunger".

Here's a link to the stuff my mom uses. She doesn't put it in my food, she simply holds me, opens my mouth, and squeezes the appropriate amount in. I resist at first, but once I smell the stuff I can't get enough!

http://www.vpl.com/product.php?catmain=&mainkey=&pid=106& key=&cat
[notify]

Zoe- Genevieve

Purred: Thu Aug 28, '08 10:17pm PST 
The way that we get most of our pets to take their meds is to get it in the liquid form if possible and just mix the dose with one of those fish oil gelcaps. Puncture the capsule and squeeze it out. The fishy aroma makes the cats want the medication and gives them positive reinforcement because they think they're getting a treat. I'm sure Lysine could be given the same way. Hope this helps!

-
[notify]

Sassy

mystery poop!- who did it?

Purred: Fri Aug 29, '08 10:23am PST 
for me there is no other way but to get a tounge depressor or use your finger to put a dab of the gel onto there nose and they will lick it off.
[notify]

Zoe- Genevieve

Purred: Fri Aug 29, '08 11:06am PST 
I wish you all the luck in the world in getting the fur baby to take their medicine. Maybe try the fish oil as a supplement anyways for their coats and other things. Do some research on Omega 3's, Fish oil is absolutely loaded with them and they help your fur baby live a longer life
[notify]