GO!

Teeth brushing..

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Kashmir

Peach flavored- lap tiger!

Purred: Tue Jul 29, '08 11:09pm PST 
Ugh! Meowma was so awful today! She got this long stick with a brush on the end, and put this gross paste on it- she said it was 'chicken flavored', but when I licked it it was GROSS!!! Meowma opened my mouth and tried to rub it on my teeth, but I clawed her arm open and tried to bite her, because it was so awful. Meowma is worried that my teeth will get yellow and she said my gums look red. What are some other ways she can get my teeth clean without using that horrible toothbrush?
[notify]

Stoney

I Love You!

Purred: Wed Jul 30, '08 5:03am PST 
If this is the first time you have tried to brush kitty's teeth, I can see why he reacted that way. He's not used to it and a cat's mouth is a very sensitive personal place for them. The first thing you should do to get him used to having hands near his mouth is while you are petting him, rub your ringers around his cheeks and upper and lower jaw. He may get frazzled about it and walk away but once he gets comfortable with that, you can start to introduce the toothpaste. I have no idea what to do about the flavor being gross though. But, you start off with toothpaste without the brush. First you offer him a taste of it (but since he hates the flavor I don't know, maybe an aquired taste? MOL) Then you, useing just your finger, massage some onto his teeth and gums. Start with the front teeth and once he accepts that you can try massaging it onto the back teeth. Once he gets used to that and lets you do it with relatively little issue, try using and pet toothbrush or finger pet toothbrush and without toothpaste on it, introduce that to his mouth, first by just rubbing it on his jaws and then you can try to rub it on his front teeth. once he lets you do that then you can try it on his back teeth. After he lets you do all of those things you can try brushing just a couple of front teeth with the toothbrush until he is used to it. As he gets more and more used to it you can then introduce new teeth, until you can eventually brush all of them in one sitting. If you don't want to use a toothbrush my suggestion would be to dampen a washcloth and put the toothpaste on that. But, he still needs to get comfortable with things near his mouth. This process can take a long time, especially if you start trying to do it after kittenhood. Hope that helps.
[notify]