wax accident! how to get candle wax out of fur?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  

Has been COTD!
Purred: Thu Apr 17, '08 10:45am PST 
Yes, even professional breeders use dish detergent on their cats. Cuts the grease, is cheap, and guaranteed to be non-toxic!

Bandit- (Sweet Angel- Boy)

Talk to Me
Purred: Thu Apr 17, '08 12:48pm PST 
Just remember to get the ORIGINAL Dawn, not the Ultra or the one with bleach or anti-bacterial in it.

I'm just guessing here, but I wouldn't think candle/tart wax would be good for the digestive tract, especially if it's scented at all. shrug

I'm purring for you hug

Member Since
Purred: Fri Feb 22, '13 1:09pm PST 
My kitten just did that, and he wont let me shave or trim his fur......

Joey (In- Memory)

I'm big, I'm- bad, but I am a- real mush!
Purred: Fri Feb 22, '13 3:37pm PST 
I have had this happen to my kitty before - ice is the best thing - makes it extremely brittle and it just falls away with a brush. Works for gum too.

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all
Purred: Fri Feb 22, '13 5:44pm PST 
This is Delyte. Regular candle wax probably would not hurt the cat if he ate a bit of it, especially if it is high quality paraffin or beeswax. It's the ingredients that give it the color and scent that could be quite toxic.

Can you put a little shirt or something on him to keep him from getting at it? I got a doggie sweater last yeat when I wouldn't stop pulling my fur out. I didn't mind it too much and it was nice and warm on my bare skin. [I know, whose fault was it that my skin was bare?! laugh out loud]

Ice is supposed to work on wax in hair--does it really make it brittle enough to just brush out on fur? Also recommended is peanut butter, although that sounds like making a worse mess.

Member Since
Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:33pm PST 
My cat got a lot of wax in his fur on tail from the blocks of wax to make the house smell good. Instead of cutting the fur off, I used a hair dryer on his tail and melted the wax and kept wiping with toilet paper that I held around the tail. Very little has remained and should fall off when I give him a bath.

  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2