GO!

wax accident! how to get candle wax out of fur?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kepler

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 5:08pm PST 
so, we have one of those housewarmer wax warming things that keep a cake of scented wax warm to make the house smell good , and one of our roommates forgot to turn it off. of course,kepler decided to knock it over and has a fair amount of wax on his fur. we checked him over and he didn't get burned or hurt. he keeps trying to clean himself, but i doubt that it's safe to let him eat the wax, so we've been keeping a close eye on him to make sure that he doesn't groom himself and eat wax.
so basically, i wanted to know if anyone knew a good, safe way to get wax out of fur, or if it would be best to just trim or shave him to get the wax off? i have heard the goo gone will work, but i don't want to put it on him if it's toxic. the website that i can find doesn't say anything about toxicity either way.
any help or advice is appreciated!

*cross posted in grooming, since i think i applies to both topics?
[notify]

Halo

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 5:18pm PST 
I have never dealt with wax on fur but I found this article:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2068546_remove-wax-pet-fur.html

If the wax isn't too close to the skin, I think I would just trim it off. Anyway, hope that helps!

=]
[notify]

Liberty

August 2002-May- 2010. I AM- MISSED!

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 7:51pm PST 
Cut the wax out NOW. It is very hard on the digestive system and there is NOTHING that will completely take it out without leaving a residue. It will eventually grow back...
[notify]

Leaf

Must kick and- shred!

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 8:06pm PST 
I agree with Liberty. I would shave it off ASAP!

Good luck! hug
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 8:26pm PST 
Don't use the goo gone stuff. Definitely cut it off or shave the area.
[notify]

Kepler

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 8:40pm PST 
thanks everyone! wee called the emergency vet, and they told us that the best thing to do would be to shave. we cut off all of the patches that we could then shaved off as much as he would let us. we're going to try again tomorrow to get the rest off. in the mean time, we're keeping a close eye on him and doing our best to keep him from grooming himself. if he won't let us finish tomorrow we'll call the vet and see what our plan of action should be.
[notify]

Lady

the queen

Purred: Thu Apr 17, '08 12:40am PST 
plan b- wrap little kepler in a one or two towels, with a couple people holding him, then try to finish shaving him. i know this might sound mean, but, this is how my daddy, the vet tech@vet have to do to give me my shots each yr, and i do put up one big fight, but, i still get my shotsfrown, good luck.
[notify]

Chibi

Proud mother of- the Gang of- Four!

Purred: Thu Apr 17, '08 1:27am PST 
Since you probably don't have an "e-collar" (Elizabethan collar, put around a cat's neck after an operation, etc., to keep it from licking the affected site), you might try what Persian owners do at cat shows--take a Mister Coffee coffee filter, cut a hole in the center, and put it around Kepler's neck (cuuuuute kitty!). It might keep him from grooming himself until the vet can get to him.
[notify]

Kepler

Purred: Thu Apr 17, '08 8:24am PST 
we are definitely going to finish shaving him today, we just wanted to give him a bit of a break because he was freaking out last night. he was breaking really hard and trembling while we were trying to shave him, so we got the worst of it out and decided that it would be best to tackle the rest of it later when he had a chance to calm down. we did put in him an e- collar left over from when he got neutered over night to keep him from grooming. the vet suggested that if we can't get all of the wax off by shaving that dawn dish soap might help to loosen everything up, so that's also on our list of things to try. thank you all again for your advice! i've had dogs my whole life, so everything with kepler is a new experience for me!
[notify]

Dulci (In- Loving- Memory - you

Kitty's final- rest in a grove- of trees

Purred: Thu Apr 17, '08 8:28am PST 
Just to ease your fears a bit, remember, wax is not toxic, and it's generally somewhat maliable - so if he or she she does swallow a bit of it, it's not going to harm them.

Given teh number of candles in my home (i'm a wiccan), i'm sure my cats have digested plenty of candle wax in thier little lives.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2