GO!

Mucus in right eye?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Lucky- Annette- Charm

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '08 8:21pm PST 
Mommy usually cleans out our eye boogies and today she noticed that in my right eye, I had mucus...looked like clear-green snot almost. The other eye had the usual brown crusties after sleeping, cuz that's what I do.

Anyway, she gave me a bath and a few hours later it was back. She wiped it off again and so far so good. My eyes aren't red/pink or irritated. They are both bright and open and I've been eating/going potty as usual.

What could this mean? Did I get it infected somehow? Please help. Mom can't afford to take me to the vet for a checkup right now, so any advice would help, thank you.

10 y/o female calico. next vet trip is in june.

*update. the mucus or booger wasnt IN her eyeball. It was in the corner. Me and the kitten sometimes play rough could that be it?

Edited by author Sat Apr 12, '08 8:39pm PST

[notify]

~ Brooke ~- Angel Queen

Her Highness

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '08 8:23pm PST 
I'd bring her to the vet as soon as possible. Sounds like conjunctivitis, or could even be a corneal ulcer. Eye infections, if not treated, can potentially permanently damage the eye.

Edited by author Sat Apr 12, '08 8:23pm PST

[notify]

Sammie

little stinker

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '08 11:25am PST 
i to would suggest a trip to the vet before it gets worse, playing rough with a kitty will not cause a eye to produce mucus. one of my cats has conjunctivitis, whic needs to be treated with medicine.
[notify]

Matilda

The Silent- Princess

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '08 1:41pm PST 
I just had conjunctivitis and it sounded like exactly what you have. You need to treat it with medicine or it can get very bad! Mine started as a watery eye, that turned mucus-y and green and eventually my eye got red and swollen too and I could barely open it. Eye problems need immediate attention! I got gel that mom put in my eye for a week and now I am all better. The medicine was not too expensive either. Please get to the vet! hug
[notify]

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 7:49am PST 
Yes, I agree with everybody else! I just got over green eye boogers in one eye, and I got antibiotic eye drops to clear it up. The first antibiotic didn't work, but the second, which was a tetracycline type antibiotic, did, suggesting that I may have had a chlamydial infection, common in cats, and dangerous if untreated. You say your cat's eye wasn't red, but did you pull back the lids and look at the white membranes? I bet they're irritated and red looking. There are a number of things, including viruses, that can cause eye infections, but, as the other posters have said, eye infections can be very dangerous. Try Googling "feline eye infections" and look at some of the pictures of what can happen when an eye infection is not treated (blindness, of course, is the worst side effect, but the physical appearance of the diseased eye can be even more shocking), and I guarantee that you'll be grossed out and worried enough to try to find some funds to take your cat to the vet NOW. The good news is that, with prompt, proper treatment, no matter what the cause, eye infections usually clear up fast and completely. And the medicines are not that expensive.
[notify]

Matilda

The Silent- Princess

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 9:54am PST 
Lucky Annette Charm I hope you are feeling better. Did you get to the vet? We are worried about you! Please give us an update! hug
[notify]

Lucky- Annette- Charm

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '08 11:05am PST 
not yet :[ The mucus stopped but I still want to go. Mommy is trying to find a payment plan or something soon. If you know of any in the L.A. area let me know please!!
[notify]