GO!

Suddenly can't jump up on things

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Yeti (1999-2009)

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '08 4:52am PST 
I've had a heck of a week with Fiddlehead, and then this morning, I see that Yeti is having trouble jumping up on things. He usually jumps on my stomach when I'm lying on the weight bench in the basement, and he wasn't able to make it. Then he tried jumping up on my husband's tool bench, and I heard John say "Whoa!" He struggled to get up. Same thing with the kitchen table, and just now, when he usually could jump from the bed to the top of the cat tree, he gingerly made his way up the cat tree one step at a time.

Can I not have ONE day off from worrying? Before I panic that he suddenly has some neurological thing, I'm thinking maybe he has a cactus pricker in his foot or something, or maybe he fell. He was fine yesterday.

Of course, I always blame myself for something. I fed the cats some new Meow Mix food yesterday, which they loved. Then my husband said, "Was that some reject brand from China?" That stuck with me and now I think, geez, did I poison him?

I need an anti-anxiety pill today. Can't do much right now. I need to head to work. But I think I might make an appt. for Yeti at the vet tomorrow and then Fiddlehead for Monday. Ugh!

Anyway, any thoughts what this could be that would come on so suddenly. I couldn't find anything when I Googled.

Edited by moderator Sun Mar 23, '08 7:14pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Yeti (1999-2009)

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '08 5:03am PST 
Just had to laugh, because while I sit here with a stomach ache over this, Yeti is not worried at all! He's fast asleep. smile
[notify]

Dulci (In- Loving- Memory - you

Kitty's final- rest in a grove- of trees

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '08 7:08am PST 
You didn't poison him. the cat food recall was scary, but it was one of those "once in a million" type deals. bad food was procured, and eventually it was remedied.

Meow mix is safe.

Now, he on the other hand is in a bit of trouble. it could be a pulled muscle in his back or back legs, so watch for him to be licking the area, or "limping". Pet him, a bit "hard", and see if he withdraws when you pet near his back or hind legs.
[notify]

Yeti (1999-2009)

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '08 7:56am PST 
I have been watching him very closely, and he seems completely unconcerned with his feet in any way. I'm poked around, moved my hands around his toes, his ankles, up to his hips, and except for bugging him, he didn't once make it seem like he's in pain. He walks fine but he seems more cautious. He seemed surprised this morning when he couldn't jump up on my stomach. Then he slowly was realizing the other things he couldn't jump on, so he started slowing down a little.

The Web is not always helpful for things like this, because they make you jump to conclusions. He is eating and acting fine otherwise, and it's good that I'm working today and not hovering (for both of us). But any other thoughts or ideas, preferably to calm me but also to let me know when I should take him to the vet, would be much appreciated.

The vet said I could call first thing tomorrow if I think he needs to come in. A friend here said just to wait over the weekend because maybe he just pulled something in his leg. Let's hope it's that easy. He's the youngest and usually the fiestiest of my cats.
[notify]

Bentley

Bentley - the luxury cat

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '08 11:00am PST 
i am paranoid, and have a sick cat, so i always go to the vet, lol. i would say give him a few days and see if his behavior changes. is he eating normally - maybe he is congested & an inner ear thing is making it tough for him to jump in a balanced way? could be a pulled muscle or something, too. could also be nothing at all... hope everything is okay and he's back to normal in no time =^..^=
[notify]

Tommy

shy boy

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '08 3:30pm PST 
When my brothers and sisters stopped jumping on things for us it always meant we were anemic from chronic illness or crf (chronic renal failure). We are all much older though but that's always been our experience. My mommy has soooooo much experience with anemia and blood transfusions, etc. that she even bought a new pcv tester for home to measure red blood cells (just like at the vets). she has an older one but it required too much blood. Anyway, mommy says you should get bloodwork done if there are any other signs of illness to be sure there isn't any anemia.
[notify]

Natasha

i wanna explore - let me out!

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '08 4:33pm PST 
Could he have arthritis?
[notify]

Yeti (1999-2009)

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '08 6:35pm PST 
No change in my behavior this evening. Mom had hoped that when she got home, all would have fixed itself. She wrote to justanswer.com, someplace where you can get some answers if you're unwilling to wait, and the vet said that it could be anything from a pulled ligament to diabetes to cardiac myopathy. Mom and Dad noticed one interesting...while I was walking normally, stepping off of something, and I had one leg straightened out behind me, that seemed to cause discomfort. It happened two times in a row. That might be what made the vet think ligaments.

So NOW the question is...vet tomorrow or vet on Monday. Mom's not overly worried, but who knows. She thinks she'll call the vet tomorrow morning and talk it over with them, and maybe she'll take me in anyway, just to rule out all the bad stuff.

She was nice enough to put the litter box in the kitchen for me tonight because the stairs to the litter box are hard for me to get up right now.

I'll keep folks posted. Thanks.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '08 6:52pm PST 
Diabetic neuropathy can cause limited mobilitythinking But you will also be walking on your hocks ike this: picture of walking on hocks. If you are not showing any symptoms of diabetes (flooding the litter box with sugary sticky pee, always hungry and eating a lot but losing weight, drinking a lot more water), then it is very unlikely that you have diabetic neuropathy.
[notify]

Tommy

shy boy

Purred: Sat Mar 22, '08 4:43am PST 
Another possibility is low potassium but you should also be seeing other signs like drinking more normally.
[notify]