GO!

big fat belly

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Fern

Fernsteinweiner,- Weinstein,- Loodlebug

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '08 3:01am PST 
When I first adopted Fern she was 2 yrs. old, not sure of the weight (purrty skinny). A year later she weighed 11lbs. She had a reaction to the rabies shot and spiked a 102 temp. She had a bag of I.M. fluids and went home. It has been 9 months and I noticed now she has the saggy underbelly that flaps back and forth when she runs. I thought that happened when cats were spayed but I never noticed it before. I thought maybe it could be that all of the fluid received did not get absorbed properly? Everyone calls her Jabba the Hut. Haven't weighed her yet so not sure. When she stands she doesn't look fat, just when she lays down she looks like a meat loaf. What causes this flappy belly and should I be concerned? She is normal in all behavior.
Thanks, Ferns' mom
[notify]

Pepper

Please Save a- Life, Adopt a- Cat!

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '08 4:29am PST 
Sounds like a classic spay belly... I have one too! If it is something you are concerned about it is worth a mention at your next vet visit just to ease your mind... It is better to sound silly than miss something important! My momma always asks all kinds of questions, the vet only see me once or twice a year, so momma knows my body better than any vet. But as long as the skin is normal and there are two pouches that are just smooth and floppy (i.e. no lumps) you are probably just a pretty, purrfect, spayed lady!

Pepper
[notify]

Jake- ♥s- Taffy

Boxes rock

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '08 5:37am PST 
Hey, remember that song "does your belly hang low, does it wobble to and fro..." ?? That would be me. :>))

I've had a floppy hanging belly since I was about 6 or 7. I have always been biiiiiiigggggg (17 pounds when I was a youth, now 20 pounds). When I sit, I can't see my feet. hahahahahaha When I run, my tummy slaps from side to side. I don't run very much. The vets have never said anything other than I should try to lose weight (ha, fat chance, pun intended). But it's normal otherwise as long, as was previously said, it's just loose and floppy, not lumpy or solid.

And yes, the advice to check with your vet is ALWAYS sounds advice.
[notify]

Winter

Did I just hear- the treat jar- rattle?

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '08 6:22am PST 
Sounds like the typical 'spay sway'. Some cats who are not spayed, including males, will often get a little 'flubby pocket', as we call it in my house. It's no big deal. wink
[notify]

ishtar- *proud- wobnapt*

monday-again!

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '08 9:13am PST 
*giggle* i've never heard "spay belly" - but jabba the hut sounds very familiar to me...
i got what human calls a penguin's hotbed (you should see where it hangs when i sit...) even younger than a year. human did ask my vet about it (that is a vet's job wink ) and she answered it's a question of weak connecting tissue and it happens to most spayed cats - the time it occurs is only a question of genetics. she gave us the advice to check all the other signs for overweight (waiste?, touchable ribs?) regularly and also control if the belly feels "empty" or filled with fat or fluids or - as mentioned - lumps.
[notify]

Nikolai - Dreamboat- #24

Sir Nikolai

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '08 10:26am PST 
My sister, Minnie, developed the sway after she had a bad reaction to a cat food that resulted in a liver infection. Ever since, she has been not-so-minnie.
[notify]

Fern

Fernsteinweiner,- Weinstein,- Loodlebug

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '08 10:59pm PST 
Thanks to all for your responses........I am very sensitive about my belly now. Meowme tries to grab it and kiss it and I don't like that at all! She also has to watch what she says like I don't like it when she says "Your such a big girl!" I prefur "Little Ferny" or "Pretty Little Girl". She has been exercising with me more often now. She makes me jump and run but I prefur to lay down and play.

Thanks again! Fern
[notify]

Libby

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '08 5:22am PST 
I am Jabba the Hut too. Everyone laughs at me when they come to my house.
[notify]

Minnie our- Joyful Girl- Forever

Minnie-not-so-mi- nnie

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '08 4:55pm PST 
I am not fat, I am a "full figured lady."
[notify]

nachie

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '08 7:58pm PST 
my 3 cats have been spayed almost a year now and i've noticed the bellies, at first i was scared maybe there was something growing a tumor or mass, i asked the vet who spayed them and said it was normal. it still looks weird coz they're the type of breed that don't get fat and they look chubby with their fat bellies.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3