GO!

panting after lots of play

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Foucault

Sir Purrs-a-lot

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 8:32pm PST 
Hi, we borrowed a laser pointer from our neighbors because their cats loves it. Well I played with it with Foucault for at least 15 minutes. He really was stuck on it, so curious. Then I stopped because I was worried he'd get frustrated.
After, he lay down and was panting for a few minutes like a dog. Was this from all the excitement? He's a VERY playful cat but never has tracked anything or run so fast like after the laser pointer. Maybe I just overdid it?
Any advice appreciated. He rested and now he is playing with his feather toy. What a guy!
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 9:30pm PST 
He was probablly just so full of adrenaline that he stressed out!

Sometimes cats pant like a dog due to:

-Pain

-Exercise

-Excitement

-Fear

-Stress

Your cat probably just got overwhelmed! Take it easy next time you play with the laser pointer. Save it for special occasions. Lasers are a great form of exercise and indoor fun. You don't want him to get bored of the activity- but you don't want him over doing the exercise either.

Cats like to play hunting games. It's an instinct rooted deep in their DNA. They cannot help but feel the urge to hunt and stalk small moving objects. Unfortunately, that is the reason why most cats are so overweight these days. Their owners don't give them proper outlets to spend their energy and exercise their instincts. they just sit around in a house all day pointlessly staring at the ceiling or sleeping on the couch. I congratulate you for exercising your cat!kitty

Purchasing a cat tree makes lasers even more fun! You can have your cat scramble up and down the tree to get the laser. This stretches and tones their back, neck, toe, and shoulder muscles. The muscles that a cat would naturally use the most in a wild environment.

Edited by author Sun Dec 23, '07 9:42pm PST

[notify]

Sammy

Who is mom- telling to "stop- it?"

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '07 5:00pm PST 
My friend did that when she got a laser pointer. Her mom over did it and she just got worn out. Now they play with it for a specific time limit so she doesn't get over exhausted.
[notify]

Lazarus

Chunky Monkey- Boy

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '07 7:43pm PST 
I pant all the time after playing with the laser pointer! It's fun, isn't it?!!! laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

Harley

Lets Go Bills!

Purred: Sun Dec 30, '07 5:33pm PST 
I kinda pant sometimes after playing with my fish on a fishing pole. It has a suction cup so mom has it on the hallway closet door. sometimes i even stick my tounge out which makes mom paranoid - she always makes me laydown when she sees that. But i love jumping and attacking the fish soooooo much!
[notify]

Lucy Belle

Action Speaks- Louder Than- Meows

Purred: Wed Jan 2, '08 5:10pm PST 
Never have I pant so much had it not for that laser pointer thing! Phew! Yes, chasing after a red dot is silly but I can't get enough of it. After the game ended, I normally fall on the ground, lying on the side and pant, pant, pant! But I am up for it again anytime!

Edited by author Wed Jan 2, '08 5:10pm PST

[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Wed Jan 2, '08 5:33pm PST 
I sometimes pant after the laser pointer too. I just can't stop playing. Mommy gets worried too though. It doesn't happen as much now as it did when I was younger...I have to compete for laser pointer time nowlaugh out loud
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Wed Jan 2, '08 5:35pm PST 
I sometimes pant after the laser pointer too. I just can't stop playing. Mommy gets worried too though. It doesn't happen as much now as it did when I was younger...I have to compete for laser pointer time nowlaugh out loud
[notify]

Lucius

Purred: Tue Sep 22, '09 1:45am PST 
my mom got worried and called the emergency vet just now for the same thing. i play with anything i can get my paws on, and after juming really high and chasing the dog around for a while, i started panting for a couple of seconds. she wants me to lay down and keep calm, and even tried wrapping me in a blanket and strokng my chin, but i just want to play.
[notify]

Charlie

Why did they- take almost all- my tooths??

Purred: Tue Sep 22, '09 8:53pm PST 
They can also pant due to feline asthma. Just found out Charlie has it. But if you don't hear any coughing or wheezing it's probably no biggie.

If you can count kittie's breaths, normal range is 20-30 breaths per minute.
[notify]