GO!

Thickened Bladder Wall: How to treat it?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Harley

Just call me- Trouble!

Purred: Fri Dec 7, '07 3:12pm PST 
My 6 year old female was just treated for a bladder infection. This is her 4th in 5 years. On xray and palpation she showed a thickened bladder wall. She also had Triple Phosphate Crystals. She was successfully treated with Clavamox pills. She also received an injection of Cortisone for the thickening. Has anyone had this diagnosis? How are you treating it? The vet was not concerned and just said to "watch her". Wrong answer! I give her a slurry of 1/4 cup water with a scant teaspoon canned food to get her to drink more water to prevent more infections. Any suggestions are appreciated. thinking
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '07 12:58pm PST 
It's Stella. We don't know of any cats with this diagnosis but our male human has this problem. He has what is called atonic bladder, meaning the nerves in it don't work and it would not empty properly. When they found this out it had been like this for years, just emptying a little, and therefore it got very scarred. He has to empty it himself with a catheter to keep this from happening again. But they have seen in CAT scans that his bladder wall is very thickened from all of the over use and stretching. They haven't offered him anything for this, and they don't seem to know of any treatment for it. He is going to ask them if he can have some cortisone, just like you had. Cortisone is supposed to promote healing. It's possible that it will never get better and you will have to be carefully monitored to keep you from having repeated bladder infections and making sure that you are emptying your bladder completely. In cats sometimes the vet or a trained person can empty the bladder with hand pressure, but it doesn't work for people. You should get lots of fluids and something to help you pee as much as possible. Hope it's better soon! Purrs to you!! smile
[notify]

DeeJay

Serve me and all- shall be well!

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '07 7:28pm PST 
I have a thickened bladder wall and/or Interstitial Cystitis. I was being treated with a special diet Royal Canin Urinary SO and Cosequin daily. Well I have food allergies/hypersensitivities so am now on a hypoallergenic diet and still take the Cosequin daily. It has DRASTICALLY reduced the number/amount of bladder infections I have had from 5 or 6 a year to maybe 1 or 2 a year. I also was on steroids when first diagnosed and take them when I get a bladder infection, but so far I'm doing pretty good.
[notify]

Sassafras

Purred: Mon Dec 10, '07 11:25am PST 
i would recommend you talk to your vet about using a canned urinary diet and also ask about a medication called phenoxybenzamine

Best of luck!
[notify]

Harley

Just call me- Trouble!

Purred: Mon Dec 10, '07 7:55pm PST 
Thank you all for your information. I am changing to the Royal Canin food and looking for cosequin. Me and my caretaker appreciate it.
[notify]

Athena Marie

I shake my- fluffy tail on- the cat walk!

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '07 2:48pm PST 
Ive had 3 different times where i've had urin crystals. apparently i'm genitically predisposed to it, but my doctor said something about my bladder walls being thicker than usual. i have been on perscription food... and he also told my mommy to give me something called dasaquin which is used for joints or something like that, but my doctor said it will help with my bladder lining. and i havent had a problem yet.
[notify]

Penny - *Bridge- Kitty*

April 12 2001 - Sep. 04 2007

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '07 2:58pm PST 
I think Penny had something similar. Her baldder was actually very elongated which made it very difficult for her when she got a bladder stone. Cosequin is a great supplement. Not only is it good for joints but it helps with the lining of the bladder.

From the cosequin website:
Some veterinarians also recommend Cosequin to help maintain urinary bladder health. The inner lining of the bladder wall is protected by a layer, which contains some of the same compounds as are found in cartilage. This layer keeps urine and the waste products contained within it from seeping into and affecting the lining. Since the low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate found only in Cosequin is available to more than just cartilage cells, the bladder may use it to help support this protective layer.

Good luck!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Wed Dec 12, '07 10:41am PST 
http://www.baybeachvet.com/flutd.html
Some cats will develop cystitis with no apparent underlying cause. These cats will usually have a normal urinalysis or a urinalysis that shows blood in the urine, but no crystals and no evidence of a bacterial infection. Urine culture is negative. Radiographs and ultrasound may show a thickened bladder wall but no crystals, no stones, and no evidence of tumors. These cats probably have feline interstitial cystitis, also known as sterile hemorrhagic cystitis. This condition is highly frustrating because there is no known treatment. These cats will usually exhibit signs on a cyclical basis. They usually show signs for three to ten days, then get better. Re-currence is common, but the frequency of episodes is highly variable from cat to cat and very difficult to predict. Owners always want to do something to help the cat, often insisting on antibiotic therapy. When the cat gets better after starting antibiotics, the owner assumes the antibiotics cleared up an undiagnosed infection. In reality, the syndrome simply ran its usual course of spontaneous remission. But many owners remain convinced that the antibiotics help and may spend unnecessary money on repeated courses over the years. Antibiotic therapy should be reserved for cats with a confirmed bacterial cystitis (diagnosed via urinalysis and/or culture of the urine) and for cats at high risk of developing bacterial cystitis as a result of urinary catheterization to relieve a urethral obstruction. Even then, antibiotics should be given when the catheter is removed, not when it is placed, to prevent encouraging resistent bacteria.

There is one therapy that may improve interstitial cystitis in cats. While not yet proven effective, early studies are encouraging. This therapy involves supplementing cats with a product containing glycosaminoglycans, an important component of the normal protective lining of the bladder. The theory is that cats with interstitial cystitis have a disrupted glycosaminoglycans layer in the bladder. Without this protective layer, the bladder wall is subject to damage done by contact with urine, which can be highly irritating. Cats receiving glycosaminoglycans supplements may suffer fewer, less severe episodes of cystitis. This supplement is available in a capsule that can be opened and sprinkled on the food. Most cats will eat this supplement when added to food.

Another therapy that has been tried is antiinflammatory doses of steriods. While we used to feel that this therapy helped some cats, we now realize that these cats probably would have gotten better on their own in about the same time frame. Recent studies suggest that steriods have no benefit in this condition.

We use Pneoxybenzamine n male kitties taht have been blocked and catherized. it may prove useful in your situation. It may not. Here is some additonal info on that drug:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/phenoxybenzamine-dibenzy line/page1.aspx
[notify]

Felix

Handsome Devil

Purred: Thu Dec 13, '07 11:02am PST 
Hunter, what you describe sounds exactly like what I suffer from. Mom won't give my Baytril unless I have confirmed lab work, but I keep getting infections over and over. They come in cycles and the vet says it may be because I had to have surgery when my first family let me get blocked. I was going to die, but now my urinary opening is larger and lets in bacteria. Mom hates to see me suffer. We tried the cosequin for a short time only. Mom has switched me to mainly wet food, so she will try it again. Before, I didn't eat wet often enough for it to work. Glad I read this. Gotta make mom start sprinkling that stuff on my food.
[notify]