|Purred: Wed Sep 26, '07 7:27am PST |
|Ok so mom is on a mission to determine which litters are safest.
So far here's what she found:
ALL Arm & Hammer litters have sodium bentonite in them. On the bag it lists a "natural clumping ingredient" but after poking around on their website I found out what that ingredient was - Sodium bentonite
Scoop Away - None of the variety's list ingredients but the FAQ's say that if your animal eats a large amount to contact the vet. I emailed them asking for an ingredient list.
Fresh Step - Same as Scoop Away but It also says that it doesn't have enough crystalline silica to be harmful. It even says that kind of silica is commonly used to absorb moisture in various things. Mom rembered something when you buy leather... like sneakers... There's always a small white packet that specifically say "DO NOT INGEST" . Just because it's commonly used, doesn't mean it's safe guys.
Tidy Cats - Website offers no ingredients list - I emailed them
EverClean - Website offers this comment "Despite numerous consultations, interviews and tests, neither Clorox, SMI nor any of the veterinarians with whom we have spoken, have been able to find any scientific evidence linking the use of clumping litter with the sickness or death of any kitten or cat...In every case the autopsy revealed there was some other underlying cause of death, totally unrelated to clumping litter. " The way they stated that last part leads me to belive that the clumping litter did SOMETHING that they noticed, it just didn't cause the death.
Mom wen't to the ASPCA website and found this:
"Scoopable cat litter continues to be a hot topic on the Internet, with some claiming that it is toxic and causes respiratory illness in cats. Many scoopable cat litters contain bentonite clay, a naturally occurring clay mineral that is considered to be biologically inert when ingested, and/or silica. Silica is also a physically and chemically inert substance, and is a major component found in ordinary sand. Silica is also used as a moisture-absorbing agent in the little packets found in shoe boxes, medications and some foods. According to our experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, pets ingesting small amounts of silica gel may develop only mild gastrointestinal upset, if any signs develop at all.
Cats may ingest small amounts of litter when grooming themselves after using the litter box, and these amounts pass through the digestive tract easily without problems. However, if an animal consumes a very large amount of litter (as can happen when a dog "cleans out" the litter box), gastrointestinal upset, constipation or, in rare cases, intestinal obstruction could potentially occur. "
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become friends|| [notify]|