GO!

Clumping litter - sodium bentonite

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Sep 25, '07 9:43am PST 
Here's the MSD (material safety data) on sodium bentonite: http://www.bentonite.com/msds/national.pdf
[notify]

Rasha

On the Prowl....

Purred: Tue Sep 25, '07 9:56am PST 
Thanks for the information! I did not know! I will start shopping around TODAY!
[notify]

Hector

Is that the- fridge I hear?

Purred: Tue Sep 25, '07 11:38am PST 
Yikes!
We tried the pine litter and did not like it. Ditto for the crystals.
Does anyone have any recommendations for scoopable litter that does not contain bentonite clay?
Thanks for the info
[notify]

Hector

Is that the- fridge I hear?

Purred: Tue Sep 25, '07 11:39am PST 
Yikes!
We tried the pine litter and did not like it. Ditto for the crystals.
Does anyone have any recommendations for scoopable litter that does not contain bentonite clay?
Thanks for the info
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Sep 25, '07 12:38pm PST 
Precious Cat litters

None of the litters use bentonite.
[notify]

Cleo (The- Queen)

I am the Queen- of the house....

Purred: Tue Sep 25, '07 5:15pm PST 
Does anyone know if the clumping litter effects our mommy's and daddy's lungs?? Mommy has had a URI she can't get rid of for 6 months , and only know after switching our cat litter to a non-clump (it was a muti-cat less smelly version) for Mysty and I, is she starting to feel better. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that?
[notify]

Alex- "Finney"- Finnegan

Miracles Happen

Purred: Tue Sep 25, '07 6:08pm PST 
My gosh, there's always something new for us to worry about. cry

We use "Yesterday's News", which is recycled newspaper in pellet form. It doesn't track, but Finney still manages to kick some out each and every time he does his herculean leap out of the box.

I've never had any problem with it, nor has Finney... has anyone heard anything negative on it??
[notify]

Harley

Lets Go Bills!

Purred: Wed Sep 26, '07 6:26am PST 
Cleo - Mom read that sheet that Merlin posted. It said it could cause eye and respiratory irratation. Then it said DANGER breathing crystalline silica can cause lung disease including silicosis and lung cancer. Crystaline silica has also been associated with scelerderma and kidney disease. Then it talks about how you should wear a special respirator when handling the material.

I think it's definitly possible that maybe your old litter was causing your moms URI!

Moms going to email all her friends/family who have cats that material data sheet to show how dangerous sodium bentonite can be to kitties As well as humans!
[notify]

Jewel

Treat me like- the princess I- am

Purred: Wed Sep 26, '07 6:45am PST 
Ah HA! It doesn't say it on the Bag, or on the main website but mom was reading through the FAQ's of Arm & Hammer litter and found :

"Is ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter safe for pets including kittens?

We are extremely confident of the safety of ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter, when used as directed. During its development, ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter was evaluated for safety by numerous consumers (and their cats) with no adverse effects. Additionally, the sodium bentonite used in ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter is a naturally derived special clay and, of course, the safety of baking soda is well known and documented. "

Moms certainly not buying any Arm & Hammer litter anymore
[notify]

Harley

Lets Go Bills!

Purred: Wed Sep 26, '07 7:27am PST 
Ok so mom is on a mission to determine which litters are safest.

So far here's what she found:

ALL Arm & Hammer litters have sodium bentonite in them. On the bag it lists a "natural clumping ingredient" but after poking around on their website I found out what that ingredient was - Sodium bentonite

Scoop Away - None of the variety's list ingredients but the FAQ's say that if your animal eats a large amount to contact the vet. I emailed them asking for an ingredient list.

Fresh Step - Same as Scoop Away but It also says that it doesn't have enough crystalline silica to be harmful. It even says that kind of silica is commonly used to absorb moisture in various things. Mom rembered something when you buy leather... like sneakers... There's always a small white packet that specifically say "DO NOT INGEST" . Just because it's commonly used, doesn't mean it's safe guys.

Tidy Cats - Website offers no ingredients list - I emailed them

EverClean - Website offers this comment "Despite numerous consultations, interviews and tests, neither Clorox, SMI nor any of the veterinarians with whom we have spoken, have been able to find any scientific evidence linking the use of clumping litter with the sickness or death of any kitten or cat...In every case the autopsy revealed there was some other underlying cause of death, totally unrelated to clumping litter. " The way they stated that last part leads me to belive that the clumping litter did SOMETHING that they noticed, it just didn't cause the death.

Mom wen't to the ASPCA website and found this:

"Scoopable cat litter continues to be a hot topic on the Internet, with some claiming that it is toxic and causes respiratory illness in cats. Many scoopable cat litters contain bentonite clay, a naturally occurring clay mineral that is considered to be biologically inert when ingested, and/or silica. Silica is also a physically and chemically inert substance, and is a major component found in ordinary sand. Silica is also used as a moisture-absorbing agent in the little packets found in shoe boxes, medications and some foods. According to our experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, pets ingesting small amounts of silica gel may develop only mild gastrointestinal upset, if any signs develop at all.

Cats may ingest small amounts of litter when grooming themselves after using the litter box, and these amounts pass through the digestive tract easily without problems. However, if an animal consumes a very large amount of litter (as can happen when a dog "cleans out" the litter box), gastrointestinal upset, constipation or, in rare cases, intestinal obstruction could potentially occur. "
[notify]

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4