GO!

My Pretty Kitty ate Ribbon!!!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Mon Sep 17, '07 3:04pm PST 
Hi I am new here and in desperate need of advice or help. On Wed. Sept. 12 my Kitty ingested approx. 4 feet of ribbon frown I took her to the vet right away in hopes that she could puke it out after being induced to vomit. Well she puked, but no ribbon, they sent us home and said to keep a close eye on her. So we have been. The first couple of days she didn't seem very happy, which I am sure none of us would be, and between Thurs. and Fri. she pooped out about 2 feet. The vet says to give her a laxative in hopes that will help pass it. So I have been but we haven't seen any more ribbon since. Her poop has been kinda mucusy but teh vet said that's probably from the laxative. I didn't give her any laxative on saturday thinking maybe the poop was too watery and just passing by the ribbon as oppose to grabbing it on the way out, but that didn't help either. She seems to be acting her normal self, and she is still eating and pooping which is a good sign, but no ribbon. Does anybody have any suggestions? Has anybody had a similar experience and maybe you know approx. how long this will take to pass? It's now Monday and I am begining to think this is taking more of a toll on Kitties Mom because I am very worried about her. Please Help!!!
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Mon Sep 17, '07 3:08pm PST 
Is there any more ribbon visible (BTW - never pull out ribbon if visible, it could tear their intestines!)? If yes, then yes, maybe her stool is too loose. If not, then she probably already pooped out everything she was gonna - are you sure it was 4 feet of ribbon? Because if it was an open package of it, maybe someone else in the household had already used some of it?
[notify]

Purred: Mon Sep 17, '07 3:16pm PST 
There isn't any ribbon visible at this point, and when going through the poop I haven't even found fragments. The ribbon was from a helium balloon and the balloon was attached to a weight. When I found her she had the ribbon in her mouth and the balloon floating in the air, I immediately cut it (I know not to pull) and the balloon went up to the ceiling. The ribbon came down to approx. my shoulder and there was only about a foot of ribbon attached to the weight, so I would assume about 4 feet. We have another cat Tootsie, but she seems to be completely normal (well as normal as she gets... smile ) and I have been going through everybodys poop just in case. Any idea how long it may take for Kitty to pass the rest?
[notify]

Harley

Lets Go Bills!

Purred: Mon Sep 17, '07 3:18pm PST 
yeah, I'm wondering if maybe she only at 2ft or maybe she pooped out all 4 feet. Maybe the 2 missing feet of ribbon she didn't actually eat but stashed someplace?
[notify]

Kitty

mmm....ribbon?!?- !?!?

Purred: Mon Sep 17, '07 3:28pm PST 
Mom thought of that too, but she has looked EVERYWHERE and can't find a thing! She is also hoping we got all of it, but from what was missing She assumes it was alot more. She has also been keeping the ribbon as it has come out, alot of fun, but she figures she should monitor it. Do you guys think she should continue with the laxative?
[notify]

Diesel

Mommy's Little- Man

Purred: Mon Sep 17, '07 9:06pm PST 
I doubt there isn't one of us that hasn't had this same thing happen. I SWEAR that's why I dislike balloons! The ribbon is just tooo tempting for kitty!
I'd put her back on a regular diet asnd keep monitoring the poops. Also be aware of her mood and any chnages in her cattitude. If she seems real down or in pain call Vet.
[notify]

Catsy Angel- Princess

See what love- can do.

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '07 6:34am PST 
When I first came to live with Mommy, I ate about a two foot length of fleece fabric from a cat dancer toy.

My mommy did not do anything. My stools were very loose all by themselves, and my mommy is pretty sure I pooped out all of it. BUT, I pooped it out over the course of a week. Also, I had chewed into to little pieces, so I would pass two or three inches of it at a time. Maybe the missing ribbon is in your poops but too small to see?
[notify]

Kitty

mmm....ribbon?!?- !?!?

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '07 4:58pm PST 
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! No laxative was used yesturday, and by mid afternoon today there were no poops at which made me kinda worried, so I fed Kitty some wet food hoping it would help, (much the same way a coffee can help humans wink) sure enough, not 5 minutes later, Kitty had a solid poop, not yellow or mucusy (good sign) and there didn't seem to be any straining at all. However, still no ribbon. I read an article or something over this pas week where a lady had brought her cat into the vet whom was symptomatic. They had to do a surgery as the vet figured the cat had digested something, turns out there was crumpled up pieces of paper, 28!!!! rubber bands (which are apparently the worst) and much more. I figure that obviously these foriegn objects have somewhere to hide in a cat if they don't pass it and obviously this cat didn't eat 28 rubber bands at one sitting. Soooo.... I figure I will keep her off of the laxative and continue monitoring her poops for ribbon. I will continue to keep a close eye on her and I figure if she continues acting herself, continues having healthy poops and doesn't seem to be straining for about 3-4 days than I think we may be in the clear. Do you guys think I am on to something here?
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '07 8:17pm PST 
AS long as she continues to eat, drink and defecate normally then you probably fine. If any of these change or she becomes lethargic then she should be seen right away. She has most likely passed the ribbon completely a this point.
[notify]

Kitty

mmm....ribbon?!?- !?!?

Purred: Wed Sep 19, '07 1:57pm PST 
Well she seems to be acting her normal self, if not better! I just got home from work but my Mom in law has been checking up on her frequently throughout the days and she says Kitty seems completely happy when she's here as well. Finger's crossed that we're in the clear!!! Just fed her now, with the wet food, so I am hoping she will have another healthy poop! There was a poop from this afternoon but I don't know which of my angels it came from... I'll keep you posted!
[notify]