GO!

Hiccups

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Arwen

Princess Pretty - Fear Me!

Purred: Wed Jun 27, '07 7:36pm PST 
Hi everyone. Mama has noticed recently that I'm getting the hiccups a lot. Usually a couple of times a week. I've even had them 2 or 3 times in one day. To top it all off, I'm the only kitty in the house who really sneezes. This is usually a couple of times a week also.

Mama isn't sure if she is overreacting or not. But since Morris got sick and went to the bridge she gets nervous so easily. When Morris got sick it didn't seem like a huge deal. They took him to the vet right away. It took a few months for the vets to figure out that Morris was very ill and was only going to get worse. So, she's thinking that she might need to pursue this aggressively with me. But I hate the vet so much, she really doesn't want me to be stressed out.

If any of you really smart kitties could give us some ideas, we would really appreciate it.
[notify]

Arwen

Princess Pretty - Fear Me!

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '07 1:11pm PST 
Anyone?
[notify]

Abby Angel- at Rainbow- Bridge

Guardian- Angel

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '07 1:43pm PST 
Hello Arwen,

My mom really doesn't know what to say or whether she should respond or not. She's not a vet or trained in any kind of animal care, so please realize that this is from her experience with one cat only.

The only cat my mom ever knew that got hiccups was me. I started getting them in the last few months of my life. First it was hiccups, then trouble swallowing, then trouble eating. At first the vets couldn't find out what was wrong, but I ended up having cancer.
[notify]

Abby Angel- at Rainbow- Bridge

Guardian- Angel

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '07 1:45pm PST 
I'd like to add one thing to my response. My mom has heard of other cats occasionally getting the hiccups who did NOT have cancer.

hug
[notify]

Saki

Fluffem Sakems

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '07 4:35pm PST 
You can try calling the vet and see what they reccomend for you to do instead of taking her in to see them. I understand you don't want to stress her out. My cats get the hiccups but not as much as you said. Leo had them last night. Luca hasn't had them in a few months, same for Saki and Simba. I think she may be coming down with something. Saki would sneeze like crazy and cough and her eyes and nose watered when she had a kitty cold. She had the hiccups then, too (this was in December). But it doesn't sound much like what you said. (does it?)

But please try and call a vetrinarian and see what they reccomend. We hope she gets better soon! We're sorry to hear this.
[notify]