GO!

Is vomiting normal after vaccinations?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

♥Eva&- hearts;

All eyes on me

Purred: Fri May 11, '07 6:36pm PST 
I went to the vet today for my rabies and distemper shots. He said I might get tired and lose interest in food for a little while, but they didn't mention anything else to look for. Well when we got home, I threw up 3 times! Is this a normal reaction to vaccinations or is there something else wrong with me? I've never gotten sick after shots before. The vet's office is now closed so mommy has to wait until the morning to call him. Is there anything we can do until then? Thanks,
[notify]

Emma

Queen Joleen

Purred: Fri May 11, '07 9:30pm PST 
I don't think that throwing up is normal.. (although, I am certainly no expert!). Are you still vomiting? How are you otherwise? Is there an emergency vet that you can call?
I hope you are feeling better!!! purrs
[notify]

♥Eva&- hearts;

All eyes on me

Purred: Sat May 12, '07 4:28am PST 
Mommy called the 24 hour vet last night and they said it was less common, but not completely abnormal to throw up after my shots. They told her to take away my food for the night and if I was still doing it in the morning to bring me in. Well lucky me I'm feeling so much better today! Mommy is still going to call our regular vet to let him know what happened. Maybe next time we can do something different so I don't feel so yucky afterwards.
[notify]

Emma

Queen Joleen

Purred: Sat May 12, '07 1:34pm PST 
Glad to hear that you are doing better!!! cheercheercheercheer
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun May 13, '07 7:45pm PST 
Definitely let your vet know so they can put a note in your file. They may want to give the vaccines at different times or even give you some benedryl prior to vaccinating you next time.
[notify]

Marcy

if only I had- hands...

Purred: Sun May 13, '07 10:10pm PST 
That may have been a sign of an allergic reaction to the vaccines. Sometimes that is how such a reaction presents before the airway closure. I would be cautious with the vaccines the next time around. I guess mama is not a big advocate of vaccines for us since we are ONLY INDOOR kittes and they can cause osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in addition to anaphylaxis (life threatening allergic reactions). You might want to have your vet do blood tests-titers to check for immunity to the things you are being immunized against next time . If the tests show that you are immune, you can feel reassured to avoid getting shots. The rabies vaccine can be given every 3 years if you are an indoor only cat. I believe the rabies vaccine and the feline leukemia vaccines have the highest incidence of causing osteosarcoma-ask your vet about this. The last time I asked one vet about this, they said "it's not a big deal, if anything we can cut it off"... ?the extremity??. Now my friend's dog recently developed an osteosarcoma on his leg and by the time it was noticed, it had spread to his lungs....is that something you might want to have to deal with? They are now developing transdermal vaccines which are not associated with the osteosarcoma as they believe the cancer is due to the significant inflammation after intramuscular injection-so this may also be something to discuss with the vet if you have to continue getting vaccinations. Please be cautious the next time you do get vaccines as allergic responses get worse each subsequent time you are exposed to the allergen...
[notify]

Phoebe

I'm Fusky! (I'm- furry and I'm- husky!)

Purred: Mon May 14, '07 6:57am PST 
My friend, Samba, got his shots a week ago Friday and was fine that night, but then he threw up four times Saturday night and also stopped eating for several days. He threw up bile overnight last Sunday into last Monday. The vet never even said why he thought it was happening.
I don't like vets in general, but I really don't like THAT one.

Glad you felt better so quickly. I have to go next month for my vaccines and not Mommy is nervous.
[notify]

Natalie

Nat the Nut

Purred: Tue May 15, '07 9:19am PST 
I got three shots last week. It was awful! I got the distemper, rabies, and Feline Leukemia shot all at once! Mom is never going to do that again. First I slept all day, and didn't eat, the next day I was fine, and then the day after that I had tremors all day. Mommy called the vet, and she wasn't anxious at all, and told her to give me benadryl. I wouldn't take it, the only thing they could find to use was liquid, it was grape. They tried to give it to me in a dropper, and I salivated all over the place and ran and hid. I was ok the next day, but I heard my mommy say I have to go for a second leukemia vaccination in a couple of weeks! She's going to ask a lot of ???'s before the shot.
[notify]

Bond

Bond, James Bond

Purred: Tue May 15, '07 11:54am PST 
Bond had pukies three times after his shots too and he was fine the very next day. Keep an eye on your furling, but I'm sure they'll be just fine.
[notify]