GO!

elevated liver enzymes

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Poncho

I'm # 1

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '07 7:28pm PST 
hi,
we've been searching catster for info on elevated liver enzymes. has anyone had this problem? or can you point us in the right direction for posts on this topic.

any feedback would be great,
poncho
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '07 9:30pm PST 
Poncho,
Here are a couple of websites with information regarding liver disease. Did your vet give you a diagnosis?

http://lbah.com/liver.htm

http://www.fabcats.org/liverdisease .html
[notify]

Poncho

I'm # 1

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '07 8:40am PST 
hi hunter,

thanks for those links. vet didn't say how much they were elevated. or give any diagnosis except she did say i might have had a food allergy. i've switched from royal canin now i'm eating fromms and california naturals. hopefully i start gaining my weight back.

poncho
[notify]

Oreo

Wild man

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '07 1:21pm PST 
What are your symptoms?? Are you still eating? Have you lost weight? Do you have a fever? Are your ears a yellow tinge?

I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease on March 26th after my blood work showed elevated liver enzymes. My ALT and ALKP were the two that still have yet to go down. They should be around 100. (from what they told me)

I quit eating and lost 5 lbs. I also started turning yellow. My mommy had to force feed me (and still does) and the vet had to keep me over night a couple days. Plus IV fluids and other medication. etc etc..........

If there are any similar symptoms, I would highly recommend that your vet do an ultrasound and/or needle biopsy to check your liver cells. I never heard that a food allergy could elevate your liver emzymes? Sounds like you need to get your vet to explain more so you have more to go on. My mommy researched a lot on the internet just so she could understand better what was going on with me.
I 'm all ears if you have any questions, since this is something we've been dealing with for 3 1/2 weeks now. (I am doing alot better now finally)
Take care!
Oreo
[notify]

Oreo

Wild man

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '07 1:23pm PST 
What are your symptoms?? Are you still eating? Have you lost weight? Do you have a fever? Are your ears a yellow tinge?

I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease on March 26th after my blood work showed elevated liver enzymes. My ALT and ALKP were the two that still have yet to go down. They should be around 100. (from what they told me)

I quit eating and lost 5 lbs. I also started turning yellow. My mommy had to force feed me (and still does) and the vet had to keep me over night a couple days. Plus IV fluids and other medication. etc etc..........

If there are any similar symptoms, I would highly recommend that your vet do an ultrasound and/or needle biopsy to check your liver cells. I never heard that a food allergy could elevate your liver emzymes? Sounds like you need to get your vet to explain more so you have more to go on. My mommy researched a lot on the internet just so she could understand better what was going on with me.
I 'm all ears if you have any questions, since this is something we've been dealing with for 3 1/2 weeks now. (I am doing alot better now finally)
Take care!
Oreo
[notify]

Marcy

if only I had- hands...

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '07 11:21pm PST 
Hi, I was hospitalized 1 year ago in the Univ of Fla animal ICU for 1 month because of liver failure. My mommy would visit me and stay with me every weekend while I was in the ICU and this gave me the strength to survive. I came home with a feeding tube (see my Bio) in my esophagus and was force fed via this tube and received all my medications through this tube for almost 2 months after I came home. It was a lot of work (NOT to mention the expense) but I was worth it and I am fine today and my liver enzymes have been normal since . There are many reasons why the liver enz. can increase. I have never really heard of food allergies as being a problem??? There is a triad of pancreatitis/inflammatory bowel disease and hepatobiliary inflammation that can present with elevated liver enzymes-so maybe this is what they are referring to. There may be a special diet if your enzymes are elevated for specific reasons, but I don't think any food should really cause the elevation...unless it has something to do with some toxin in the food we are eating -which at this point would not be a surprise to me. I initially presented with ataxia (wobbliness-slipping off of the countertop when I jumped up-like I was miscalculating and just overall unsteadiness) &uveitis which is an inflammation in the eye where it appears cloudy (almost like a rapidly progressing cataract).My vet though my ataxia was due to my uveitis and possibly poor depth perception. We could not find the reason for this but a bunch of blood tests (included a CBC, chemistry panel -with liver enzymes-,toxoplasmosis,Bartonella, Ehrlichiosis and Anaplasmosis, FIP (really a coronavirus test), FIV,FeLV & cryptococcus (a fungal organism)) was run. My liver enzymes were mildly elevated at the time and they resolved spontaneously as my uveitis improved with steroid eye drops. The opthalmologist was puzzled because he felt deep down there was something else going on although you can have uveitis for no apparent reason. About 2 months later when my uveitis was almost resolved, I caught a cold (a new stray had been brought into the home) and all my housemates got sick too but they shook it off in a few days. My nose was so stuffy I was eating only a tiny amount for a few days and I later developed respiratory distress and a low grade fever. The vet insisted I was only breathing hard because of my stuffy nose (my mommy knew better). Mommy decided to check my urine (she does urine dipsticks at home because my housemate Nemo has frequent UTI's and urinary issues)so she caught it when I peed and it was coke-colored. On dipping it, it had bilirubin (a pigment produced by the liver when it is malfunctioning). By that evening, I had jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes) and was in even more distress with vomiting. Momma gave me subq fluids (she is an MD) and attempted to force feed me with small amounts of Science diet AD (yuck!!) but I would just vomit everything and then my abdomen became enlarged and hard from my liver enlargening (this was in a matter of 12 hours!!). I went to our local ER and received IV fluids, my potassium was dangerously low and they noticed my liver enzymes totally out of whack. I went back to my vet the next day who gave me 2 options-put me to sleep because of liver failure or take me to the vet school for more advanced care. Everyone thought I had FIP (Feline infectious peritonitis) because of the history of the introduction of the new cat. However the liver function test result Albumin /Globulin ratio (I don't remember exactly where we want this, but I could look it up if you need me to do so) went against this. Unfortuantely FIP is usually diagnosed post mortem as you have to get a sampling of tissue to send for confirmatory testing. The other things to consider were bacterial infection, gallbladder infection or gallstones, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, cancer , parasites, viral infection (other than FIP) or fungal organisms. So the only things we hadn't tested for were FIP and a potential cancer. The other potential diagnosis was hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) but this usually occurs after a fairly long period of starvation (such as a starving cat living outside). I did not eat for just 2 days. In order for this to be hepatic lipidosis with such a brief period of starvation, something else had to be the underlying cause setting me up for this. Also when our liver enzymes become elevated, we become very nauseous, hence we don't want to eat and this just worsens the situation which is why if you are dealing with hepatic lipidosis, these kitties will often have to be tube fed. After much hydration and NO food for about 8 days -they were playing it safe while trying to investigate the cause of my problem-(depending on the cause of the liver problem , sometimes feeding could prove to be bad due to the possible concurrent pancreatitis as that and the liver are involved with digestion) I was stable enough to undergo a fine cut liver biopsy (like a needle biopsy-disadvantage from a wedge cut is the smaller sample size and possibly missing something, esp a tumor). This was about as much as I could withstand since I was so ill. I felt so sad but everytime I saw my momma, my health would improve and the ICU vet was excellent, she told momma, if I had cancer or FIP, she would not hesitate to tell her to put me to sleep to end my suffering, but she was extremely hopeful the whole time. My option prior to the biopsy was just to treat me with a prolonged course of steroid and see how I did as many of the problems will get better with that-inflammatory bowel disease, FIP-steroid will help to prolong life but is not a cure-FIP is still a death sentence, and some cancers respond temporarily (favorably ) to steroid-. Momma was torn but opted for the biopsy (despite the fact that if our liver doesn't work right, we MAY HAVE IMPAIRED CLOTTING) as this would help her decide whether to put me to sleep. The biopsy revealed nonspecific inflammation and the US revelaed Inflammation of the liver and pancreas, no gallstones (gallstones would have been the simplest thing to deal with). Because of all the inflammation and no sign of cancer , we started a 3 month long course of steroid which we gradually tapered off, in addition to a bunch of other meds. I also developed herpes ulcers in my eyes from the stress of the situation. That vet did not feel that herpes virus could have caused all this but momma has her doubts because she knew I had become stressed when the new cat moved in and this all started (herpes can cause uveitis). Anyway,theoretically steroids will make herpes infections worse. I was also treated with antibiotics because of probable infection given my persistent fever. Final diagnosis- cholangiohepatitis (inflammation of the liver and gallbladder and associated structures) of unkown cause- may have been triggered by a primary bacterial infection or somehow became inflamed for some unkown reason (?viral) with a concurrent secondary bacterial infection. My liver ALK Phos was elevatedto low 100's, my ALT went up to 300 and my AST was like 200. All in all, I am fine now and have my serial tests every 6 mos. Basically, I would recommend definitely an Ultrasound (non-invasive)to check for pancreatitis and gallstones & potentially, liver tumors and all the blood work mentioned to start off with. Your vet may even recommend steroids but remember if this is done before a biopsy, it may alter the biopsy results if you decide to do this later-after you have given the steroid-the pathology may appear different (which is why I was hesitant about starting them without getting an idea of what I was treating). Do remember that bleeding can be a risk with the surgery for a biopsy since the liver helps to control clotting. So you have to weigh the pro's and cons. I chose to have the less riskier biopsy because that's all she could handle and I needed to know whether to keep going and prolong her suffering if she had a chance for full recovery vs. ending the suffering if it was just a matter of time....PLease let me know if you have any other questions....I hope kitty gets well.....
[notify]

Rémy

I'm quite young- for my age

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '07 8:59pm PST 
We had this problem with Rémy last year for about 4 months. He 14 at the time had a routine bloodtest in Jan '06, and his numbers were up. Then about 2 wks later they were tripled.
He has been an IBD cat for several years... so the Vet thought it was maybe Pancreatic problems.
Long story short, we started him on Clavomox, Vitamin E, Prednisone, SAMe, Flagyl, and a compounded drug called Ursodiol. These were given from about March to May. I waited until July to get a follow up blood test, and all his liver panel was normal again. It was a wonderful result. The treatment was long, a bit expensive, and a drag for me and Rémy, all those pills. Well worth it. Talk to your vet about this approach. I couldn't afford the alternatives which were cat scans, and explorotory surgeries... and I know Rémy didn't want that either. Our last visit this March was considered the best he has ever been, according to his vet.applause
[notify]

Tagious REBORN

Fighting 4 Life

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '07 6:48am PST 
I was diagnosed with LD.....not sure what my future holds...what is are you doing currently with your kitty??
[notify]

Dusty

Purred: Mon May 24, '10 10:15am PST 
help by checking out our post: http://www.catster.com/forums/other_posts.php?st=family&user_id=9887 12
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon May 24, '10 2:14pm PST 
Hi all! You can go to my mom's website www.ibdkitties.net and click on the fatty liver page. That's what I had and I didn't make it because of complications. She's learned A LOT since then and has some great info there. You can also read my story and my medical history there also. I had Triaditis: IBD, Fatty Liver and Pancreatitis. She spends a lot of time trying to help other kitties with these conditions.
[notify]