GO!

3 year rabies vaccine

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Maggie May

fix your feline!

Purred: Sat Mar 24, '07 10:15pm PST 
This may be old news to you kitties but I learned something at my first vet appt today and I wanted to share.

Our vet told us that he gave me a rabies shot but I'd need another in a year. Mom's only ever had dogs before so she was curious as to why my shot would have to be updated so soon.

The vet told her that 3 year shots are not safe for cats! He said they could cause a "vaccine lump" that could lead to cancer. He said it's not common but it does happen! He went on to say that even though that is common knowledge among vets, some drs still use the 3 year shot!

I wanted to put the warning out for anyone (like me) that wasn't aware of the risk.

If your vet wants to use that 3 year shot, make sure you ask questions and get more info.
[notify]

Abby Angel- at Rainbow- Bridge

Guardian- Angel

Purred: Sun Mar 25, '07 7:03am PST 
Your vet sounds like a good vet who keeps up to date on things. The adjuvant (or carrier) in the 3-year rabies vaccine has been linked to Vaccine Associated Sarcoma (VAS). Most vets today still administer the 3 year vaccine but the latest recommendations are to give the shot every 3 years, not every year as they have done in the past. The rabies vaccination should be administered on the right rear leg only, not on the scruff as done in the past.

The one year rabies vaccine is called Purevax and is made by Merial and your cat will need to be vaccinated every year. It is a recombinant vaccine and does not have the adjuvant that has caused VAS in cats, although there can still be reactions to the vaccine itself. If you want to use this vaccine for your cat, you may have to ask your vet to order it because it is more expensive.

I have serious reservations about rabies vaccinations. My cats are almost 11 years old and indoor cats only. I discussed the rabies vaccination issues with my vet and we agreed that my cats do not need to get the rabies vaccination. This is possible where I live but in some parts of the US your vet will not agree with this.
[notify]

Maggie May

fix your feline!

Purred: Sun Mar 25, '07 9:00am PST 
Wow Abby, you sure do know your stuff. Good thing we're friends now, you can help keep my mom on the right track.

I'm an indoor only cat, too, and it seems a little silly for me to have to have that rabies shot. Did I mention Mom keeps trying to treat me like A DOG?!

Maybe that will be something to discuss next year.
[notify]

Abby Angel- at Rainbow- Bridge

Guardian- Angel

Purred: Sun Mar 25, '07 9:43am PST 
Hi Maggie May! You have to tell your mom that cats are very special and not at all like dogs! smile

Cats are obligate carnivores and are unique in their dietary and nutritional requirements. Dogs also have special dietary needs but are a little more like humans and can eat a bigger variety of foods. I will try to find some links with good articles for your mom to read.

It does sound like your mom has chosen an excellent veterinarian for you.
[notify]